General Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Damocles, 21 Jun 2017.

1. Vic

Vic

Meanwhile, in the general politics thread:

Rail minister wants to phase out diesel-only trains by 2040. From the party that's been cancelling electrification schemes ....

2. mat

mat

Official Gimp to The Rat that Barks
    *facepalm*

They are only cancelling ones that go north of Milton Keynes.

3. Mike D

Mike D

Don't believe a word knuckle dragger Grayling says the guy is an absolute bell end. When he was prisons minister he wanted to stop them having books to read? He is also the man who said we could just grow all our own food after Brexit. He was then ridiculed for saying this and told even if we grew crops on every spare bit of verge in the country we couldn't do it.

4. urban genie

urban genie

They are introducing electric/diesel hybrids that will run on electric between major citys and then the electric conectors will drop down and then run on diesel on local lines.

As they are hybrid they won't be classes as diesel and so they can claim to be diesel free when they ain't

Last edited: 12 Feb 2018
  5. inbetween

inbetween

Hopefully someone will of invented a way to generate the massive electricity increases required for every other thing we plan to make electric. I wonder how 10+ million cars sucking electricity every night will work too given diesel/petrol will be banned.

Obviously with Corbyn's lot and the green parade we won't be allowed to build nuclear power stations or anything which might generate it so fingers crossed it just comes from somewhere.

I had best get my bike ready.

6. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

professional underacheiver
    doesn't matter who is in charge. The lead in times for all such generating capacity schemes when measured against the declared times we are going all electric mean it just can't happen no matter who says what. You can't develp that generating capacity in the time they are giving themselves.

7. i kne albert davy

i kne albert davy

Maybe it's because only a Blair or a Blair clone that can get a Labour Government into power, having a lurch to the left is all well and good in perfect World but without being in Government its totally and utterly pointless I'm afraid.

8. The perfect fumble

The perfect fumble

It is not a fact that this country is either hard C Conservative or small c conservative.

9. i kne albert davy

i kne albert davy

Unfortunately times have changed I'm afraid mate gone are the days where we all trotted off to work in factories joined a trade union and came home to our council houses, its either a slightly left of centre Labour Government or a slightly right of centre Tory party so unless the Tories lurch drastically to the far right I don't see that changing.

10. The perfect fumble

The perfect fumble

The Tories have lurched drastically to the right and it's not going unnoticed.