General Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Damocles, 21 Jun 2017.

1. inbetween

inbetween

You can if you take the politics out of it and not set stupid dates that cannot be met so you look good. Building a whole smash of clean nuclear powerplants would instantly solve all of our problems but that isn't allowed either. However doing that means we can build electric cars or run electric trains or buses of whatever kind and not have to worry about the electricity for them coming from bad environmental means.

It is the green mob and Corbyn's lot in the end that will drag us down because they are dead against the above. They are in favour of more sustainability and sustainability always actually means restraint, good luck to him on selling that one. The Paris climate thing is the start because it is okay to set arbitrary dates on things but it is another to completely push the burden of fixing it onto someone else.

Another runway is also absolutely vital at Heathrow because air travel is one of the fastest growing industries there is, they are dead against that as well. Total lunatics.

2. tshirtman

tshirtman

23.000 homes, that's a quarter of all homes in England & Wales, are registered in the BRITISH Virgin Isles.
    At a value of £50 billion that's some tax scam,
    and no doubt the Tory's will launch a thorough investigation... NOT
    https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-42666274?

3. BJL_City

BJL_City

no, it isn't. It's a quarter of all home owned by foreign companies. Christ, I know we have a homeless problem but that's exaggerating just a tad.

4. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

A quarter of all homes?
    There are 25 and a half million in Britain mate.
    What taxes are levied on houses, other than council tax from any occupiers?

5. tshirtman

tshirtman

It wasn't an exaggeration, I misread the quote, it's still disgusting when our essential services are on there knees.

But no doubt the tory boys on here will ignore the report and focus on my mistake

6. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

Ok, but what is the tax scam? Plenty of Brits own property in Spain/France etc; as far as I know, there are no
    tax benefits.

7. kevin horlocks wand

kevin horlocks wand

stamp duty
    and capital gains tax (other than if it is principal private residence)

8. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

Stamp duty is paid upon purchase, whoever is buying it?
    Is capital gains tax levied purely on the value, or when the property is sold for profit?

9. kevin horlocks wand

kevin horlocks wand

Just the profit - I thinks that's why there are homes acquired through companies offshore - it used to be the case you could avoid stamp duty as a buyer if you held it through a company off shore (eg Guernsey) but I think that loophole has now been closed .

The tax havens I expect are being used to shelter income tax on the rent which tenants would be paying to the owner/landlord and on the eventual sale of the property to shelter or avoid paying UK CGT on the gain. The recipients of the income / proceeds would be resident in the BVI not the Uk so subject to tax there unfortunately for the UK Treasury .

I don't have an offshore company in the BVI so I cannot say for certain but expect that's what is happening - they are certainly not doing it because its a nice place to go on holiday.

10. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

Resting
    Slightly OT perhaps but this reminds me to resurrect my vehement objection to the ludicrous council plans to approve the building of an extra 105,000 new homes within a few miles of where I live just north of Bristol. You'd have to reckon that will house, what, 300,000 people?

Now don't get me wrong, we may have a housing shortage in the Bristol area, but unless I've been SUPER unobservant, we don't have 300,000 people sleeping rough on the streets of Bristol. So I can only presume that they reckon these new homes are needed mainly to accommodate the projected influx of people... from the EU? Er wait a minute? Er, from er, Wales? No, no, wait, Peru? That must be it.

Where on earth do the nutters think the demand for homes for an extra 300,000 people is going to come from? The entire population of Bristol is only something like 500,000.

If these knee-jerk London-centric housing development plans get pushed out across the country as they would seem to be, then we'll end up with an excess of housing in certain areas, depressed house prices, negative equity, repossessions and a crashed economy. This is a train wreck happening in slow motion, and a self-inflicted one at that.