General UFC thread

One or two points.

Was never a fan of Jones' behaviour earlier on. He hated press interviews, he had money and fame way too early, but that guy has genuinely changed. He would never have given DC any love before, but he will now. He still has the ultimate belief he is the G.O.A.T. and, right now if that's what keeps his edge, he can believe it until someone is brave enough to snatch that aura from him. But, as a person, he does seem more humble.

The other point is Jones is adding Jiu Jitsu to his game and he has fought without that complete knowledge before.

He may, genuinely, become an undefeated fighter in his time.

We shall see...
It's difficult to argue on that, but it seems like he's giving the respect to DC now as he's clearly proven he's better. Once you beat someone twice, and finish them the second time round when you're not even at your best, you clearly have finished the conversation.

His BJJ game has really come on, but let's see how he would do with someone who doesn't give up the height and reach and is a BJJ whiz...like Werdum ;)

It's difficult to argue on that, but it seems like he's giving the respect to DC now as he's clearly proven he's better. Once you beat someone twice, and finish them the second time round when you're not even at your best, you clearly have finished the conversation.

His BJJ game has really come on, but let's see how he would do with someone who doesn't give up the height and reach and is a BJJ whiz...like Werdum ;)

Werdum is great, but he's a 'by the numbers' kind of guy.

Jones' strength is his unpredictability and his gauging of the fighter in the fight rather than having a plan.

Werdum is great, but he's a 'by the numbers' kind of guy.

Jones' strength is his unpredictability and his gauging of the fighter in the fight rather than having a plan.
I have no doubt that JJ would try and prove something by taking Werdum down, but Werdum is elite when it comes to HW submission fighters. Werdum may be 'by the numbers' but how many people expected him to become a good standup fighter? Nobody expected him to trade with Travis Browne, for instance, and he lit Travis up.

I have no doubt that JJ would try and prove something by taking Werdum down, but Werdum is elite when it comes to HW submission fighters. Werdum may be 'by the numbers' but how many people expected him to become a good standup fighter? Nobody expected him to trade with Travis Browne, for instance, and he lit Travis up.

I get that and I was impressed by the win!

But Jones is a great striker in the art of angles and he's being taught jiu jitsu by Roberto 'Tussa' Alencar, who is a multi-time world champion, who is making Jones earn his belts the hard way.

Jones would and will have the edge in my opinion.

One or two points.

Was never a fan of Jones' behaviour earlier on. He hated press interviews, he had money and fame way too early, but that guy has genuinely changed. He would never have given DC any love before, but he will now. He still has the ultimate belief he is the G.O.A.T. and, right now if that's what keeps his edge, he can believe it until someone is brave enough to snatch that aura from him. But, as a person, he does seem more humble.

The other point is Jones is adding Jiu Jitsu to his game and he has fought without that complete knowledge before.

He may, genuinely, become an undefeated fighter in his time.

We shall see...
Genuine question - for you and anyone else on here. Are you saying that JJ is the greatest UFC fighter of all time or that he is the greatest Martial Artist of all time? Or are these the same thing? For me, I am not entirely sure it possible to truly compare - back in 'the old days', for instance, people used to fight on a raised platform (without a cage to keep you from falling)...beyond that, at one time, the 'prize' for losing was death, which might fairly be said to change the nature of the game, right?

Travis Browne is awful(lost 6 of his last 8 fights and i actually laugh every time he gets beaten

"Where Ronda Rousey's fine ass at", one of my favourite moments so far this year

Genuine question - for you and anyone else on here. Are you saying that JJ is the greatest UFC fighter of all time or that he is the greatest Martial Artist of all time? Or are these the same thing? For me, I am not entirely sure it possible to truly compare - back in 'the old days', for instance, people used to fight on a raised platform (without a cage to keep you from falling)...beyond that, at one time, the 'prize' for losing was death, which might fairly be said to change the nature of the game, right?

No, he's nowhere near the best martial artist!!

He might the best MIXED martial artist in the current format, as it is, but that requires a master of no particular discipline.

HE believes in his own legend, which is hard to shake him from.

I find that a fascinating mind set and the sheer will to find a way sets him apart from many fighters.

I get that and I was impressed by the win!

But Jones is a great striker in the art of angles and he's being taught jiu jitsu by Roberto 'Tussa' Alencar, who is a multi-time world champion, who is making Jones earn his belts the hard way.

Jones would and will have the edge in my opinion.
Yeah that's true, and lets not forget that JJ for MMA is different to straight up JJ. There is no way that John would beat Werdum with Gi or no Gi in straight up BJJ, but he could easily take Werdum down and elbow him in the face for 5 rounds, or just simply beat the shit out of him standing. But from a size and skill point, i think Werdum has good tools to beat him.

Travis Browne is awful(lost 6 of his last 8 fights and i actually laugh every time he gets beaten

"Where Ronda Rousey's fine ass at", one of my favourite moments so far this year

People forget how good Travis was before he moved to train with Rousey's team, he was a killer. When Werdum fought him, he had knee'd Josh Barnett into oblivion, he was on a 3 fight win streak having beaten Gonzaga, Overeem and then Barnett and had only been beaten by Antonio Silva, who was testosteroned up to the gills. When Werdum beat him, Travis was seen as the fave and was a feared HW, everyone thought the only way Werdum stood a chance was taking him to the floor like he did with Fedor.

No, he's nowhere near the best martial artist!!

He might the best MIXED martial artist in the current format, as it is, but that requires a master of no particular discipline.

HE believes in his own legend, which is hard to shake him from.

I find that a fascinating mind set and the sheer will to find a way sets him apart from many fighters.
I suppose it's perception. Traditional martial arts imo is flawed, every form of it pretends that it is the purest form of combat and is better than the other. It's been proven that no one martial arts is the best, but all of them combined are what true martial arts should be. So, if there is one fighter who can use all the martial arts together better than anyone else, and could beat any martial artist using one (or multiple) arts against him, then maybe he is the best martial artist ever?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.