General UFC thread

No, he's nowhere near the best martial artist!!

He might the best MIXED martial artist in the current format, as it is, but that requires a master of no particular discipline.

HE believes in his own legend, which is hard to shake him from.

I find that a fascinating mind set and the sheer will to find a way sets him apart from many fighters.
Thanks - makes a lot of sense. I have no doubt that the fighters in UFC are damn good at what they do - and much respect
for getting where they are and entering the octagon - but sometimes I wonder if it has come to be seen as 'the be all and end all'
rather than just one format. It looks like it is even heading towards a stage of 'who can excite the crowds most' will get the fights
and the hype. Nothing wrong with this as such but eventually I find that excitement becomes kinda boring, as though it begins
to lose the essence, and thus power, of its art.

I suppose it's perception. Traditional martial arts imo is flawed, every form of it pretends that it is the purest form of combat and is better than the other. It's been proven that no one martial arts is the best, but all of them combined are what true martial arts should be. So, if there is one fighter who can use all the martial arts together better than anyone else, and could beat any martial artist using one (or multiple) arts against him, then maybe he is the best martial artist ever?
There are traditional martial arts that teach to let go of this kind thinking - especially the underlined part. And many Martial Arts use weapons that would negate much of what goes on in the octagon, so you could say that MMA doesn't consider all contexts and embrace all aspects of MA. That said it is an interesting and fiery crucible to explore the principles of MA.

Yeah that's true, and lets not forget that JJ for MMA is different to straight up JJ. There is no way that John would beat Werdum with Gi or no Gi in straight up BJJ, but he could easily take Werdum down and elbow him in the face for 5 rounds, or just simply beat the shit out of him standing. But from a size and skill point, i think Werdum has good tools to beat him.
Werdum of a couple of years ago maybe but lets face it, hes looked average at best in his last 3 fights. I dont think theres a heavyweight that can beat jones.

For me there is no one better. For the callibure of fighter he has fought, he has been in maybe 2 sticky situations in his career, gustafson and the vitor armbar. No one else has even come close

I suppose it's perception. Traditional martial arts imo is flawed, every form of it pretends that it is the purest form of combat and is better than the other. It's been proven that no one martial arts is the best, but all of them combined are what true martial arts should be. So, if there is one fighter who can use all the martial arts together better than anyone else, and could beat any martial artist using one (or multiple) arts against him, then maybe he is the best martial artist ever?
A question...if McGregor loses to Mayweather in a boxing ring does this make boxers better than MMArtists? If a 'Traditional' MA loses to a MMA in the ocatagon, does this mean that MMA's are better than TMA's? If a boxer loses to a TMA outside of a boxing ring, does this mean that TMA's are better than boxers? Or is just that that each are best developed for a certain environment/within certain conditions?

Does anybody watch the'Eddie Bravo Invitational' stuff or is it too pure for them (assuming you know what it is!)?
EBI is much better than Metamoris and ADCC in terms of a spectator sport, Eddie has done the right thing. I went to watch ADCC when i was over in UAE a few years ago and found it pretty boring tbh.

Werdum of a couple of years ago maybe but lets face it, hes looked average at best in his last 3 fights. I dont think theres a heavyweight that can beat jones.

For me there is no one better. For the callibure of fighter he has fought, he has been in maybe 2 sticky situations in his career, gustafson and the vitor armbar. No one else has even come close
Think your doing Werdum a dis-service. IMO he was unlucky against Stipe, just got caught but was doing well before then. Travis Browne, we probably can't count his fights anymore but he battered him, and Overeem fight i think he won but agreed it was a poor performance. I think JJ knows that the heavyweights are a different kettle of fish, he's also personally said that he'll only do it for a huge pay day.
I agree though, JJ, with Mighty Mouse, is the best fighter alive. But i'd say if Cain could stay fit, he'd beat him.

A question...if McGregor loses to Mayweather in a boxing ring does this make boxers better than MMArtists? If a 'Traditional' MA loses to a MMA in the ocatagon, does this mean that MMA's are better than TMA's? If a boxer loses to a TMA outside of a boxing ring, does this mean that TMA's are better than boxers? Or is just that that each are best developed for a certain environment/within certain conditions?
Not really sure what the question is mate tbh. Win or lose, McGregor is obviously not a better boxer than Mayweather. But is McGregor a better Martial Artist or fighter than Mayweather, yes of course he is.

The Rock was at UFC 214. Is that our chairman Khaldoon in the background?

20583253_1879287505725137_7736354878947065856_n.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.