Germany takes over Italy (Champions League)

intheknow! said:
I would love to see Europa scrapped and the top ranked League (England currently) given 6 CL spots then Spain and Germany given 5 CL spots, then France and Holland given four and carry on etc. Champions league could operate the same as Europa now does, instead of going from group stages to last 16, it could go from group stages to last 32 then last 16 then Quarters, Semis and Final. All Leagues would then take Europe seriously as there would be one competition and a very lucrative one at that. We could scrap the Carling cup so that the six teams on Europe would only be challenging in 3 competitions and a total revamp of the FA Cup would make it better for fans and all other teams.

Imagine if we had MAN CITY, MAN UNITED, ARSENAL, CHELSEA, LIVERPOOL & TOTTENHAM in the CL!

We've finally broken the mould of Top 4 into Top 6 now, it's exciting that every year, 2 top teams are going to have to make do in the Europa League, thus raising the profile of that. The amazing competition in the league is only a good thing, allowing 6 CL places would just ruin this.

intheknow! said:
I would love to see Europa scrapped and the top ranked League (England currently) given 6 CL spots then Spain and Germany given 5 CL spots, then France and Holland given four and carry on etc. Champions league could operate the same as Europa now does, instead of going from group stages to last 16, it could go from group stages to last 32 then last 16 then Quarters, Semis and Final. All Leagues would then take Europe seriously as there would be one competition and a very lucrative one at that. We could scrap the Carling cup so that the six teams on Europe would only be challenging in 3 competitions and a total revamp of the FA Cup would make it better for fans and all other teams.

Imagine if we had MAN CITY, MAN UNITED, ARSENAL, CHELSEA, LIVERPOOL & TOTTENHAM in the CL!

Portugal

I prefer the Serie A myself but I suppose I should start to pay more attention to the Bundesliga.

True. But the ranking only takes into account club performances in Europe over the last five years. Any record before that is irrelevant.

Falastur said:
True. But the ranking only takes into account club performances in Europe over the last five years. Any record before that is irrelevant.
surely Italy have done better than Germany in the champions league over the last 5 years

uefa team ranking

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2011.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uef ... k2011.html</a>

it is not the CL, which makes the difference. It is the smaller Clubs and the poor results of italian clubs in the EL.

last year two german clubs in the quarters and one in the semis. With no italian club in the quarters.

The year before: Bremen in the final and Hamburg in the semis, while Udine went out in the quarterfinals.

2008: four german clubs, but only italian reached the knock-out stage

this year italian clubs are all out again

cityboy1 said:
Falastur said:
surely Italy have done better than Germany in the champions league over the last 5 years

It includes the Europa League too. And evidently German teams have the better CL+EL record for the last 5 years.

Bayer Leverkusen Finalist in 2002

Last five years uefa ranking

Germany 68, 10 points ( 29,74 from CL and 38,36 from EL)
Italy 59, 98 points ( 41,26 from CL and 18,72 from EL)

that ranking is about the strength of a league, not of the two top teams. And as a league the Bundesliga is much more competitive than Serie A

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.