Girona - Post match Thread

To be honest its not the nature of the friendly but the way the team is being set up which worries me.

Were inviting teams to defend deep and and by not playing wingers like last year the play is becoming more congested in central areas which further negates the effective of our creative 8s.

I said this prior to Girona in Wallya tactics thread it was the wrong way to go and what I have seen so far mirtors my concerns. Just think were limiting the effectiveness of the side currently.

I agree that the major concern is around formation, tactics and personnel.

I have no issues with us playing with wing-backs as long as we are doing it with the correct personnel against the correct opposition. This means using Walker and Mendy and against sides who at least have some intention of crossing the halfway line. I think against the weaker sides, who just want to defend for 90 mins, four at the back is a must, which then gives us out and out wingers with overlapping full backs. Against Brighton, their full backs knew they were up against a single opponent, who was attacking from an extremely deep position. I think we made it easy for them.

Can't believe anybody would be in the slightest bit bothered by this match. Training session in the blazing med sun. Means absolutely nothing whatsoever

Flappers please take note.
There were 9 changes from the team that played on Saturday. 9!
It was also clear that we treated the game as a friendly whereas Girona saw it as an opportunity to lay down a marker.
I am just happy there were no injuries and Gundogan got a much needed run out.

I agree that the major concern is around formation, tactics and personnel.

I have no issues with us playing with wing-backs as long as we are doing it with the correct personnel against the correct opposition. This means using Walker and Mendy and against sides who at least have some intention of crossing the halfway line. I think against the weaker sides, who just want to defend for 90 mins, four at the back is a must, which then gives us out and out wingers with overlapping full backs. Against Brighton, their full backs knew they were up against a single opponent, who was attacking from an extremely deep position. I think we made it easy for them.

In Europe, against Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs there could be an argument for it against weaker sides we need to be more proactive in taking the game to the opposition. At the end of last season we seemed to have the right balance playing with width, stretching sides and now were playing a formation which encourages more pedestrian football.

I was so looking forward to seeing something really spectacular this year. It might still happen but im less convinced we will realise our full potential.

In Europe, against Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs there could be an argument for it against weaker sides we need to be more proactive in taking the game to the opposition. At the end of last season we seemed to have the right balance playing with width, stretching sides and now were playing a formation which encourages more pedestrian football.

I was so looking forward to seeing something really spectacular this year. It might still happen but im less convinced we will realise our full potential.

Agreed. I don't think any of us want 0-0 to be the common half time scoreline.

3-5-2 has periods of popularity-after the 1990 WC for example. Teams try it, then realise its crap and awfully dull to watch and ditch it.

'Wing-backs' really means half backs. Players that go so far but invariably fail to get behind the opposition which means continually recycling the ball in field. Exacerbated when our left back is right footed.
'Wing backs' also leaves the back 3 exposed to the long ball down the channel on the counter-see Leicester exploit the space against Arse and Girona's goal.
3 centre halves means an extra central defender in the team-they are typically the worst passers and yet with 3 they have more touches..2 centre halves with the deep midfielder dropping is so much better (Barry for example).
The system which results in continually recycling the ball inside means that weak teams will simply retreat and defend facing the ball-the only thing they excel at. Without proper wingers (and an option of an over lapping fullback) we fail to get behind, come inside and play in front of a team-eventually either clipping diagonal hopeful balls into the box (see Brighton first half) or taking pot shots.
Playing 3 central defenders against stronger opposition with the ability to pin you back inevitably means 5 at the back-and thereby conceding midfield and the space in front of our defence.
So narrow, slow dull football which stops us more than stop the opposition.
I hate the system. No amount of that crank Hoddle eulogising about allowing the full backs to get forward (what stops them in a flat 4??) and Stonesy getting into midfield will convince me its anything other than a boring way of playing that hampers creativity.
An expansive 442 or 4411 with wingers staying wide gives the space that Silva, KDB et al require-and something I though Pep wanted to produce?
Rant over.

3-5-2 has periods of popularity-after the 1990 WC for example. Teams try it, then realise its crap and awfully dull to watch and ditch it.

'Wing-backs' really means half backs. Players that go so far but invariably fail to get behind the opposition which means continually recycling the ball in field. Exacerbated when our left back is right footed.
'Wing backs' also leaves the back 3 exposed to the long ball down the channel on the counter-see Leicester exploit the space against Arse and Girona's goal.
3 centre halves means an extra central defender in the team-they are typically the worst passers and yet with 3 they have more touches..2 centre halves with the deep midfielder dropping is so much better (Barry for example).
The system which results in continually recycling the ball inside means that weak teams will simply retreat and defend facing the ball-the only thing they excel at. Without proper wingers (and an option of an over lapping fullback) we fail to get behind, come inside and play in front of a team-eventually either clipping diagonal hopeful balls into the box (see Brighton first half) or taking pot shots.
Playing 3 central defenders against stronger opposition with the ability to pin you back inevitably means 5 at the back-and thereby conceding midfield and the space in front of our defence.
So narrow, slow dull football which stops us more than stop the opposition.
I hate the system. No amount of that crank Hoddle eulogising about allowing the full backs to get forward (what stops them in a flat 4??) and Stonesy getting into midfield will convince me its anything other than a boring way of playing that hampers creativity.
An expansive 442 or 4411 with wingers staying wide gives the space that Silva, KDB et al require-and something I though Pep wanted to produce?
Rant over.

I think the reasoning behind it is simple. It allows Silva and De Bruyne to both play in areas they can have a big impact, without unbalancing the side.

I think Pep has been looking for a way for the two to work and thinks this does. 4-4-2 doesnt without one being wide. Same for 4-3-3. He tried De Bruyne central but knows he needs to be further forward really.

We do not have a "pivot" in the traditional sense. Certainly not one with defensive capabilities. We have Fernandinho Yaya or Gundogan. They all have strengths and weaknesses as a deep lying playmaker. Gundogan fits best but with only two cbs we may well be left short.

For me 442 or 433 or a variation of is how we shoild play in the majority of games. We have enough pace in our full backs to prevent conceding from counter attacks too often. We also have a keeper who is more than willing to play sweeper which essentially gives us a back 3 without the ball anyway.

That Brazilian lad we loaned them looks the absolute part, eh?

Great game for Maffeo too.

For our lot, it allowed them to work on the first touch in a game that meant nothing, so good run out to bring them up to speed.

Sorry to have to put this in here but the Pablo Maffeo thread has been closed. But I think that we missed a trick here this lad looks a proper talent and one I fully expect to come back and bite us right on the bum if we don't bring him back asap. I rated him last season when he played very briefly but I feel my suspicions were verified with his performance last night that Pep has dropped a huge bollock in farming him out again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.