Giving up drinking

Has anyone on here successfully given up drinking alcohol altogether and have any advice or tips that they can share on how they did it?

I was drinking very heavily and am now teetotal and have been for a while. I'm currently enjoying a refreshing bottle of Becks Blue, a non-alcoholic lager.

Firstly, if want to give up but can't then you're an alcoholic. I know that sounds harsh but it is what it is. Alcoholics aren't defined by the amount they drink but instead their inability to stop it. If this sounds like you then asking your GP for a referral to a Drug and Alcohol Centre for an assessment. This sounds like a big deal but it isn't and it's worth doing if you're concerned about your drinking.

Most people think that advice doesn't apply because they're not a proper alcoholic, just a person who likes a bevvy. If that's true then you don't need advice to stop drinking any more than you don't need advice to stop eating chocolate. You just stop buying it. Simple.

On the other hand if this sounds like you then a referral will help, even if it's just to put together a proper structured plan for you to cut down over time. No touchy feely groups with long conversations necessary.

Feel free to message me if you need some pointers on how to go about stuff. I've been there and afterwards have worked with lads whose drinking went a bit mad for a while, so if you fancy a chat you can get me on a PM.

Mate - may I ask what differences you notice?

I am trying to cut down and want some motivation.

Tons more energy, clear head, clear thinking, emotionally in control, no binging (well ok no shit-faced binging!), see, hear and feel stuff that I was otherwise missing. More self aware, more intuitive to those around me, more honest with myself and others. 25% lighter, 100% fitter.

I tried for a week but couldn't sleep until about 5am. Back up at 6. Was running a few miles every evening as well.

Right I've put 'giving up alcohol' in google translate and Fuck all comes up, is it some dead Mayan language

Thanks to those who have shared information and their experiences. Some useful stuff to think about, I appreciate it.

I stopped drinking at the start of the year for two months, which is by far the longest time in my adult life, where I have not had a drink. It's gradually crept back up you where I drink every day again. I don't drink in the day or pour gin on my cornflakes, but thinking about what Damocles put in his post I probably am an alcoholic, if I am honest. When I sit down and work out the amount of units in a week that I consume, it's definitely a serious worry. I can think of many positives for not drinking, it's just sustaining the motivation that I struggle with.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.