Goal line technology

it was known within a minute mate, and frankly if the right decision is arrived at i don't care if it takes an extra minute or so,

Absolutely. I don't know if anyone's mentioned it but surely an appeals system perhaps the opportunity to use one in each half would solve so many problems.The appeal could be used for offsides and goal line decisions like the one on Sunday. All vinny had to do was ask the ref to check with a third umpire type person who looks at the replays and we would have been in this year's FA Cup final. Sickening ! This appeals system could only be used for offsides and goal line queries only as the rest is open to opinion but it surely would help and would take seconds to come up with the correct decision rather than a bad mistake costing us like Sunday.

That's my point. Referees don't give everything as they say they didn't see it. He wasn't in position to give any other decision than the ball stayed in. He cannot possibly have seen it go out.

you and me let alone the officials didn't know either way, whether it was in or out, it was only by using the available views that we knew,(and within an acceptable amount of time) that's my point for using technology,

Absolutely. I don't know if anyone's mentioned it but surely an appeals system perhaps the opportunity to use one in each half would solve so many problems.The appeal could be used for offsides and goal line decisions like the one on Sunday. All vinny had to do was ask the ref to check with a third umpire type person who looks at the replays and we would have been in this year's FA Cup final. Sickening ! This appeals system could only be used for offsides and goal line queries only as the rest is open to opinion but it surely would help and would take seconds to come up with the correct decision rather than a bad mistake costing us like Sunday.

any decision like that should be reviewed as a matter of course, just like rugby,cricket, tennis etc

PS there's nothing we can do about other decisions where the ref is bent eg Taylor or Pawson on Sunday when they scored from 2 non existant fouls and yaya was penalised when it should have been the other way round. Now that is bent!

any decision like that should be reviewed as a matter of course, just like rugby,cricket, tennis etc

We don't want absolutely everything checking it would affect the flow too much but one each half would be a good comprise.

That's my point. Referees don't give everything as they say they didn't see it. He wasn't in position to give any other decision than the ball stayed in. He cannot possibly have seen it go out.

Correct this is what I was trying to say in my earlier post. As soon as he flags the defence is going to stop as we've all seen defenders stop and look at the linesman if they think there's been an infridgement,offside, ball out of play etc. It wasn't the best example of Sunday as the ball hit the back of the net fairly quickly afterwards but imagine when video technology is brought in last minute of a world cup or CL final a team break away and it's 3 v 1 and they pass forward the linesman flags. The defence stop but the forward carries on and walks it past the keeper who's stopped and into the goal. Does the referee blow when the defence stops and the keeper stops because if he does and it's found to have been onside , what then? I can see a sitauation where attackers are going to ignore every linesman's flag unless it's a 100% obvious one. Maybe linesman will be told not never to flag at all for offsides , ball out etc. I don't know.

The first rule for officials is that you can NOT give what you cannot see.
That's the bottom line. In other words, no guessing. The linesman should be strung up for that one. It's not one where you favour the defence. Like a dubious throw in or a corner/goal kick

It depends on what you mean by "cannot see". Linesmen make numerous offside calls where they do not have a perfect view. They're often not perfectly in line (because the ball ricochets about or is played quickly and they're not Usain Bolt), there are often other players partially impeding their view. If you take the view that, unless they have a perfect view they should keep their flag down, then an awful number of offside goals would be awarded.

In practice, if linesmen do not have a perfect view they exercise a judgement. And the more experienced linemen are, more often than not, quite good at exercising that judgement. Tests have shown that experienced linesmen have much better developed peripheral vision than joe public. Despite what we might think, most linesmen are skilled at exercising judgement. They get many more close calls right than wrong.

One of the worst decisions made by a linesmen that I can remember was when Mendes "scored" for Spurs at United but the goal was not awarded because the linesman could not see that it had crossed the line. The linesman was 30m away from the goal line (because the goal was scored from the half way line) so on the basis of "you cannot give what you cannot see", he was right to disallow the goal. But as an experienced linesman he should have been able to make a judgement call based on the positioning of the keeper that the ball had crossed the line. Not being in a perfect position wasnt a good enough excuse to disallow the goal.

It depends on what you mean by "cannot see". Linesmen make numerous offside calls where they do not have a perfect view. They're often not perfectly in line (because the ball ricochets about or is played quickly and they're not Usain Bolt), there are often other players partially impeding their view. If you take the view that, unless they have a perfect view they should keep their flag down, then an awful number of offside goals would be awarded.

In practice, if linesmen do not have a perfect view they exercise a judgement. And the more experienced linemen are, more often than not, quite good at exercising that judgement. Tests have shown that experienced linesmen have much better developed peripheral vision than joe public. Despite what we might think, most linesmen are skilled at exercising judgement. They get many more close calls right than wrong.

One of the worst decisions made by a linesmen that I can remember was when Mendes "scored" for Spurs at United but the goal was not awarded because the linesman could not see that it had crossed the line. The linesman was 30m away from the goal line (because the goal was scored from the half way line) so on the basis of "you cannot give what you cannot see", he was right to disallow the goal. But as an experienced linesman he should have been able to make a judgement call based on the positioning of the keeper that the ball had crossed the line. Not being in a perfect position wasnt a good enough excuse to disallow the goal.
Correct and one appeal and look at a camera would have solved that one !

We don't want absolutely everything checking it would affect the flow too much but one each half would be a good comprise.

what flow? the ball is dead in these incidents, with the technology available at the top level these days(lower leagues is a different issue) the delay is no longer than a team getting back into position for a restart.
i'm convinced once in everyone will be saying this should of been in years ago

what flow? the ball is dead in these incidents, with the technology available at the top level these days(lower leagues is a different issue) the delay is no longer than a team getting back into position for a restart.
i'm convinced once in everyone will be saying this should of been in years ago

What I meant was only goals or disallowed ones can be appealed against not throws ins or deflected corners etc. Football is not like rugby where virtually every try is double checked and it kills the game for me.An appeal option for a goal that a captain could employ would be the best solution I think.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.