Goalline and Other Technology

Jocks Y-Fronts

For or against ?

With all the money involved in the game these days, surely it can only be a benefit. It works in rugby and cricket, so why not football.

The penalty that Liverpool got at the weekend was a joke - clearly outside the box but given by the linesman who was 30m away. Not that I care about Liverpool, but it could and will eventually happen to us.

The trouble with FIFA is that they will have to acknowledge first that there is something inadequate in the present arrangements, and the fact that technology exists already in other sports, works to football's detriment 'cos those twin idiots, Blatter and Platter have the notion that footy cannot learn from other sports.

It has been clear for season after season after season that the referee/two linos combination cannot deliver an accurate and fair assessment of what has gone on in a football match. They hide behind the law, long in place before TV was invented, that the referee is infallible - the sole arbiter of fact.

It doesn't serve the game one jot to have these two pontificating on things we see with our own eyes and where the vast majority come to a different conclusion, and then steadfastly refusing to do the clearest thing about it.

Some of the arguments that have been offered by Blatter for NOT having it border on the lunatic - we can't have it unless it is available at all levels of football. They spout utter bollocks.

One of the first things that will happen when this apology for a Swiss Roll finally buggers off, will be to establish what video technology can be used for and we will catch up to other sports, twenty years later.

For it all the way. How ever, it will never happen until all the old farts (Sept Blatter) are farmed out to grass because with this technology they won't be able to manipulate games.

I am for goal-line technology as that would be an instant decision.

I am against a review style system though. The beauty of football at the moment is that it is fluid (Kiev game apart!), but if we were to intorduce a video ref or Manager/Captin reviews that fluidity would be lost.

for technology. 3 appeals per match to overturn decisions after the game stops. penalties wrongly awarded can be given as goal kicks or corners, ball over the line can be awarded a goal. it would work. the ref could go inside a booth with the fourth official and they could make decision which isnt influenced by the crowd. works in every other major sport so why not football.

Jocks Y-Fronts said:
For or against ?

With all the money involved in the game these days, surely it can only be a benefit. It works in rugby and cricket, so why not football.

The penalty that Liverpool got at the weekend was a joke - clearly outside the box but given by the linesman who was 30m away. Not that I care about Liverpool, but it could and will eventually happen to us.

Equally it will happen to us where we win a penalty that wasn't. People in favour of technology are ultimately in favour of making the game less human, and more scientific. How far do you go with these things in the pursuit of progress? Every referee decision has the potential to be contentious. For example, a corner becomes really controversial, because a replay shows it didn't come off the defender last, but the attacking team score from it.

With goal line incidents, I would argue there is a strong case for technology. But in general play, no way. Keep the game as human as possible. Players make mistakes. Referee's make mistakes. Honestly. They are human beings. It is never going to be possible to make the game technological to the point every decision is the right one. Nor should we entertain some ridiculous pursuit of progress to such an extreme extent.

The day the referee has to wait for somebody in a box with a t.v. to say 'yay' or 'nay' to a penalty incident is the day I hand in my ST.

If this is the case I may as well just buy Sky Sports.

MCFC BOB said:
What happens if a player puts it over from underneath the crossbar? Does that mean they can appeal to have another go?

Human error is part of the game whether you're a player or an official.
thats a crazy comparison. if tevez goes through in the last minute at wembley and slams it in off the bar and sends us all mad only for the ref not to give it we would all be devastated. human error in all sports is fine when it comes down to the players but it would make it a much fairer playing field if the ref could use the technology thats available to him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.