Great Clowes St / Wenlock Way Gorton

Re: Clowes St / Wenlock Way West Gorton

Longsight-memories said:
Gary James said:
A few points to add on this and other stuff mentioned in the thread....

- Any info would be greatly appreciated as your dad's memory may just add something that helps to paint a picture. Would be worth asking if he ever came across members of the Beastow family (William became a councillor and died about 100 years ago but his sons may have remained in the area), or Goodbehere (such an unusual name he may remember). Both worked at Brooks & Doxey's.

- the area next to the factory wasn't really a recreation area. It was a bit of unused/waste land that the factory probably ownes. It was simply an open space in 1880 and will have been covered (possibly) by 1900. There are images of factory fronts lining most of that road in the Manc Libraries archive (can be viewed online and a great resource - you will probably see your old house - <a class="postlink" href="http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/pages/common/imagedisplay.php?irn=32438&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=29993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/pag ... firn=29993</a> part of that is on the present day car park - and part of that building still stands today, so easy to work out).

- I did census searches on the first City players and have addresses for some. If I get chance in a few weeks (I really need to plough on with my writing for various deadlines so can't do it now) I'll post the known addresses of as many 1880 players as I can. Beastow himself lived on Clowes St - from memory I think it was 168.

- Tommy Johnson. Other than what I wrote I didn't really go into his publican life. I do know he was a regular in the Plough Hotel (Gorton) during his playing career and that he used to take Dixie Dean in there when Johnson was Dean's playing colleague at Everton. Johnson was often seen in Gorton. I did have a story told to me by an old fan that he used to keep company with a group who ran the billiard club in the 20s (sounded like a bit of a dodgy environment) but I haven't published that. I have also interviewed his son Alan.

In another post someone mentioned Alex Donaldson's shop. This has triggered something else off in my head (yes, I do keep hearing voices!) - was this ALex Donaldson the former City player? He played for City briefly in the 20s and also for an Ashton side.

Did the company move to Hyde (or have a separate shop in Hyde that ultimately became Hyde Sports)? My first City kit came from Donaldson's in Hyde when I was 6 (1973).

My dad and his family are originally from Gorton (near Gorton Park) and knew this area well and I vaguely remember some of the shops and places mentioned from visiting my Gran (until they knocked her house down). But linking the name Alex and Donaldson has raised a few questions. If anyone knows whether Alex Donaldson was a former player and whether it was the same company as the Hyde store then let me know.
Thanks.
medium
My cousin use to own/run this pub on Birch street off hyde road that run through to clowes street the Imperial
I was born on Earl Street if you carried on it changed to Coverdale street then you came to hyde road right over the road was Bennet street and via Bennet street you came to the City ground on hyde rd.. it became the Bus depot..and we use to drive buses as a kid..

Going back to clowes street I remember the libery at the junction of pottery lane clowes street.. also the old brewery...

http://www.rbiassets.com/GetImage.ashx/36312081539/image.jpg/medium

nemap1935.jpg

Just seen this map.. if the map was about 10 % larger you would see the hyde road ground & st marks..

webmedia.php
Nex door to the moter bike shp was a clothes shop bought my first ever pair of levies there..

webmedia.php
the next shop on the right was the motor bike shop...the trams use to get into the depot after they tuned into Bennet street,

By the way at the top end of bennet street (near the railway)there were football pitches cinders they had games every weekend.. if you think bennet street one side on the other clowes street the factorys would be inbetween
Bet that other city fan who came from thomas street finds his old house on this link..And i bet his dad took him to the Baths on Armitage street.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/Res...=armitage+&QueryOption=Anywhere&Submit=Search

Bought my Lambretta SX150 from Motor Cycle Mart in 69 shit that brought back memorys

christen at St Marks said:
Longsight-memories said:
medium
My cousin use to own/run this pub on Birch street off hyde road that run through to clowes street the Imperial
I was born on Earl Street if you carried on it changed to Coverdale street then you came to hyde road right over the road was Bennet street and via Bennet street you came to the City ground on hyde rd.. it became the Bus depot..and we use to drive buses as a kid..

Going back to clowes street I remember the libery at the junction of pottery lane clowes street.. also the old brewery...

http://www.rbiassets.com/GetImage.ashx/36312081539/image.jpg/medium

nemap1935.jpg

Just seen this map.. if the map was about 10 % larger you would see the hyde road ground & st marks..

webmedia.php
Nex door to the moter bike shp was a clothes shop bought my first ever pair of levies there..

webmedia.php
the next shop on the right was the motor bike shop...the trams use to get into the depot after they tuned into Bennet street,

By the way at the top end of bennet street (near the railway)there were football pitches cinders they had games every weekend.. if you think bennet street one side on the other clowes street the factorys would be inbetween
Bet that other city fan who came from thomas street finds his old house on this link..And i bet his dad took him to the Baths on Armitage street.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/Res...=armitage+&QueryOption=Anywhere&Submit=Search

Bought my Lambretta SX150 from Motor Cycle Mart in 69 shit that brought back memorys

What was the 175 lambretta called ? ahhh just remembered TV !,,I CRASHED ONE ONCE on clermont road it was not mine a guy called dennis Lees from Moston..big city fan... i just took it out for a drive ended up at maine road and crashed it...smashed to bits.. Dennis was not happy about it..

Longsight-memories said:

What was the 175 lambretta called ? ahhh just remembered TV !,,I CRASHED ONE ONCE on clermont road it was not mine a guy called dennis Lees from Moston..big city fan... i just took it out for a drive ended up at maine road and crashed it...smashed to bits.. Dennis was not happy about it..
LI then SX then GP

Gary James said:
maineroadman said:
I was born at 210 Thomas Street, directly opposite Thomas Street school and my Dad, who is now in his ninetieth year and still an occasional visitor to Eastlands, was born at the same address in 1921. Our house/slum was demolished around 1952 when the council moved us to "leafy" Wythenshawe. My Dad worked as a fitter for many years at Brooks and Doxey along Thomas Street and I shall ask him if he has any recollection of having a recreational area around the factory. I realise that it would be many years after St. Mark's first played there but there may have been some history attached to it that he may be aware of. Brooks and Doxey certainly had a bowling green because the old man was a proud member of their team. I certainly can't remember any "grassy" parts of West Gorton but I was only seven years old when we left.

If Dad can remember anything interesting, regarding St. Mark's, that have not already featured in your books, then I will let you know.

As an afterthought Gary, my Dad also claims that City's second top scorer of all time, Tommy Johnson, after his playing career, ran the Gorton Mount Hotel which you have just mentioned but do not acknowledge in your excellent " Manchester the greatest City". Just wondered if you can confirm this or have I missed it in your other publications?

A few points to add on this and other stuff mentioned in the thread....

- Any info would be greatly appreciated as your dad's memory may just add something that helps to paint a picture. Would be worth asking if he ever came across members of the Beastow family (William became a councillor and died about 100 years ago but his sons may have remained in the area), or Goodbehere (such an unusual name he may remember). Both worked at Brooks & Doxey's.

- the area next to the factory wasn't really a recreation area. It was a bit of unused/waste land that the factory probably ownes. It was simply an open space in 1880 and will have been covered (possibly) by 1900. There are images of factory fronts lining most of that road in the Manc Libraries archive (can be viewed online and a great resource - you will probably see your old house - <a class="postlink" href="http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/pages/common/imagedisplay.php?irn=32438&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=29993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/pag ... firn=29993</a> part of that is on the present day car park - and part of that building still stands today, so easy to work out).

- I did census searches on the first City players and have addresses for some. If I get chance in a few weeks (I really need to plough on with my writing for various deadlines so can't do it now) I'll post the known addresses of as many 1880 players as I can. Beastow himself lived on Clowes St - from memory I think it was 168.

- Tommy Johnson. Other than what I wrote I didn't really go into his publican life. I do know he was a regular in the Plough Hotel (Gorton) during his playing career and that he used to take Dixie Dean in there when Johnson was Dean's playing colleague at Everton. Johnson was often seen in Gorton. I did have a story told to me by an old fan that he used to keep company with a group who ran the billiard club in the 20s (sounded like a bit of a dodgy environment) but I haven't published that. I have also interviewed his son Alan.

In another post someone mentioned Alex Donaldson's shop. This has triggered something else off in my head (yes, I do keep hearing voices!) - was this ALex Donaldson the former City player? He played for City briefly in the 20s and also for an Ashton side.

Did the company move to Hyde (or have a separate shop in Hyde that ultimately became Hyde Sports)? My first City kit came from Donaldson's in Hyde when I was 6 (1973).

My dad and his family are originally from Gorton (near Gorton Park) and knew this area well and I vaguely remember some of the shops and places mentioned from visiting my Gran (until they knocked her house down). But linking the name Alex and Donaldson has raised a few questions. If anyone knows whether Alex Donaldson was a former player and whether it was the same company as the Hyde store then let me know.
Thanks.

Info here:-

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Donaldson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Donaldson</a>

Longsight-memories said:
LI then SX then GP

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/lambretta07031300.html

1965 Lambretta TV175

3311235502_f57742f642_m.jpg

It was a very fast machine.. as I found out..

Gary James said:

Thanks.

Gary,

Alex Donaldson (ex City) ran the shop in Hyde Road Gorton in the 40's IIRC.

He sold it to a another man around 1950, can't remember his name......

My Dad bought Donaldson's in 1959/60 for £4000 and in 1966 opened up "Hyde Sports" on the corner of Market Street and Newton Street next to the Bus Station entrance. Best selling lines were Adidas "Santiago" screw in football boots and the City Black/Red v/s football kits...:-)

He then moved down to Bournemouth to open another sports shop which was eventually bought by United's Ted MacDougal.

The shop in Hyde was sold to my cousin in 1972, demolished shortly after and moved round the corner to Market Place, near the Post office.

It was later sold on to another relative of mine...in fact both big Blues fans.

It has now been sold on again recently....

I used to go to Greenfield Street school in Hyde and played in the same school team as Alan West, ex Burnley and Luton Town.

Hope this info is useful. I will try and post a picture up of Donaldson's in 1959.

Here you go:-

uatmc.jpg

Plenty more here:-

<a class="postlink" href="http://images.manchester.gov.uk/ResultsList.php?QueryName=BasicQuery&QueryPage=%2Findex.php%3Fsession%3Dpass&Restriction=&StartAt=1&Anywhere=SummaryData%7CAdmWebMetadata&QueryTerms=Hyde+Road+Gorton&QueryOption=Anywhere&Submit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://images.manchester.gov.uk/Results ... mit=Search</a>

Dr Mick said:
Wouldn't it be great if City fans could buy a route map of a walking/driving tour around Manchester following our history and key locations.

Does anyone know if anything like this exists?

If not maybe its something that Gary/the club might think about putting together. I for one would definitely buy something like this.

I, very geekily, did this drive today after seeing this thread earlier in the week.

I drove from my house in Timperley, up to Moss Side (where me Mum's from) past where Maine Road was, past St Mary's hospital (where I was born), up to Hyde Road bus depot where Hyde Road stadium was, turned right onto Hyde Road, then under the bridge and turned left onto Clowes Street, saw Gorton Villa Walk and the tower where and were St Mark's was, then up to the main road and turned left down Grey Mare Lane and upto the CoMS.

I had a look around the shop, popped my head over the fence to look at the building work and then drove over to the Clayton-Analine site.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.