Great Clowes St / Wenlock Way Gorton

I saw this in the MEN today

Sivori Ice Cream vans are back.

The family has a cafe in Gorton market too.

<a class="postlink" href="http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1406683_sivori_family_name_returns_to_the_ice_cream_rounds_of_south_manchester" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... manchester</a>

Re: Clowes St / Wenlock Way West Gorton

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
Gary James said:
In another post someone mentioned Alex Donaldson's shop. This has triggered something else off in my head (yes, I do keep hearing voices!) - was this ALex Donaldson the former City player? He played for City briefly in the 20s and also for an Ashton side.

Did the company move to Hyde (or have a separate shop in Hyde that ultimately became Hyde Sports)? My first City kit came from Donaldson's in Hyde when I was 6 (1973).

My dad and his family are originally from Gorton (near Gorton Park) and knew this area well and I vaguely remember some of the shops and places mentioned from visiting my Gran (until they knocked her house down). But linking the name Alex and Donaldson has raised a few questions. If anyone knows whether Alex Donaldson was a former player and whether it was the same company as the Hyde store then let me know.
Thanks.

Gary,

Alex Donaldson (ex City) ran the shop in Hyde Road Gorton in the 40's IIRC.

He sold it to a another man around 1950, can't remember his name......

My Dad bought Donaldson's in 1959/60 for £4000 and in 1966 opened up "Hyde Sports" on the corner of Market Street and Newton Street next to the Bus Station entrance. Best selling lines were Adidas "Santiago" screw in football boots and the City Black/Red v/s football kits...:-)

He then moved down to Bournemouth to open another sports shop which was eventually bought by United's Ted MacDougal.

The shop in Hyde was sold to my cousin in 1972, demolished shortly after and moved round the corner to Market Place, near the Post office.

It was later sold on to another relative of mine...in fact both big Blues fans.

It has now been sold on again recently....

I used to go to Greenfield Street school in Hyde and played in the same school team as Alan West, ex Burnley and Luton Town.

Hope this info is useful. I will try and post a picture up of Donaldson's in 1959.

Thanks. It all makes sense now. My first City kit was bought from the shop at Hyde (on the corner in between the 'modern' bus station and the M67 turn). I believe I was given it when I was 6 (Oct 1973) and I do remember that the shop moved shortly afterwards so they could build the new station/motorway. It was always known as Donaldsons to us (even after it became Hyde Sports). You mentioned that the most popular line was red/black stripes - that was my older brother's kit (I got blue).

I'm sure my Gortonian dad knows that Donaldson was the ex-Blue, but it's one of those bizarre things that he probably thinks I already know.

Thanks for sorting it out.

kippax_blueboy said:
I saw this in the MEN today

Sivori Ice Cream vans are back.

The family has a cafe in Gorton market too.

<a class="postlink" href="http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1406683_sivori_family_name_returns_to_the_ice_cream_rounds_of_south_manchester" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... manchester</a>

John, of Clowes Street, Gorton, was born in 1940 to Italian parents living in Manchester. His father Emmanuel set up the business in 1910 when he arrived in the city from the mountain village of Velva, near Genova

Wow he lives on Clowes street... but interesting to know if its near the old Sivoiri shop... first shop after the Conway(Bughut)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.