Greatest (or most memorable) game you ever saw?

Non City game Plymouth v Santos early 1970s. in a friendly Pele.was playing for Santos and there were 36.000 in the ground.in them days there were not many opotunities to watch world class players and Santos had a couple

I stuck to City games in my first response. However, one of the most memorable games and individual performances I ever saw was Portugal v North Korea at the 1966 World Cup. (I got tickets to the Goodison group matches as a birthday present, mainly to see my favourites Brazil.)

No-hopers Korea went 3-0 up early on. Unbelievable at the time as they were about the footballing equivalent of San Moreno. Then Eusebio grabbed control with four goals to make it 4-3. Final score: 5-3.

I always thought the playoff final was mine but think aguero winning us the leauge jst pips it

QPR for me nothing will beat that feeling I was floating on it for months. I will though take you back to 24th March 1971. We had lost 2-0 to Gornik Zabrze away in the quarter final of the cup winners cup and had loads of first team players missing for the return game. Joe Mercer appealed to the fans to turn up and get behind the young lads and they would do us proud. The Gornik team said the one thing they feared was the Manchester rain and that night it didn't let us down! It had been raining solidly all day and I was outside the players entrance as the Gornik players got off the coach. It was bucketing it down and they didn't look too happy as they stepped off into it. I said with a big grin, ''Manchester rain, good eh??'' They gave a rueful smile but you could tell they hated it.

The kids played out of their skin in an electric atmosphere played on a mudbath of a pitch and won 2-0 after extra time to take the game to a replay which we won 3-1. One moment I remember in the dying second their star striker Lubanski went around Healey and the crowd held it's breath as he slotted it towards the goal......but it got stuck in the mud and Healey pounced on it to save the day. A great night.
Gornik had plenty of experience in the rain when they played City in the ECWC Final in Vienna the season before.

Now that was real rain. I never encountered anything like that in Manchester!

City 2 - 1 Chelsea on a Saturday teatime. Frank Lampard missed a penalty towards the end. Incredible night.

Bert Trautmann's testimonial. My first ever visit to Maine Road and a combined City/Utd XI played an All-Star team. Obviously Bert played but making appearances for the opposition team were players like Stanley Matthews, Jimmy Armfield and (I think) Uwe Seeler & Tom Finney.

Bert Trautmann's testimonial. My first ever visit to Maine Road and a combined City/Utd XI played an All-Star team. Obviously Bert played but making appearances for the opposition team were players like Stanley Matthews, Jimmy Armfield and (I think) Uwe Seeler & Tom Finney.

That was one of my early games. I still have the programme, personally signed by the great man.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.