Guardiola now accused of ruining Italian football!

The headline and the loaded language used in that article completely detract from the fact that nobody has accused anyone of ruining anything. He's just saying that Italian football and their defences in particular aren't adapting to how the game is evolving thanks to the influence of Guardiola and now Sarri. He isn't bitter, he's just acknowledging they face a challenge. You don't have to take it as compliment if you don't want but no need to let it fuel everyone's persecution complex either.

Agreed, to me it came over complimentary and said in a jovial way.

Its funny the information you are quoting I do not think other people, including myself, are viewing. The link provided certainly does not show these words hence he confusion and contrating opinions.

I'm quoting from different sites.

Clearly the bloke is actually blaming Pep's influence on Italian football for spoiling their defensive qualities & elsewhere Bonucchi seems to be backing him up.

Absolutely fucking ludicrous.

It isn't though.

I"ve quoted him directly blaming Pep's influence on football & lamenting its effect.

It's not a compliment any more than we compliment Mourinho for his defensive shite on here, it's a plain, obvious complaint.
I don't see it as anything other than a compliment. Chielini is basically saying the likes of Guardiola and Sarri are rewriting the tactical rule book which has served Italian clubs so well in the past and that it's a breath of fresh air.

However he's also saying that defenders are now caught between defending man to man or zonally and the way the Italian defenders were coached in the past and present, needs to be rewritten for current and future generations thanks to Guardiola & Sarri's successes and influences.

Essentially, Chielini is saying Pep has found a way to better way to play football than the Italian's & I don't think pep could have got a better compliment imo.

Its clear the headline the ruining of italian football was said ironically and the article is clearly highlighting the impact of how clubs like City/Napoli with their style of play are asking questions of defensive structures which have stood the test of time.

Impossible to take negatively unless your a dyed in the wool blue moon agendarist.

Bloody hell Frank, i agree with you ;-)

I don't see it as anything other than a compliment. Chielini is basically saying the likes of Guardiola and Sarri are rewriting the tactical rule book which has served Italian clubs so well in the past and that it's a breath of fresh air.

However he's also saying that defenders are now caught between defending man to man or zonally and the way the Italian defenders were coached in the past and present, needs to be rewritten for current and future generations thanks to Guardiola & Sarri's successes and influences.

Essentially, Chielini is saying Pep has found a way to better way to play football than the Italian's & I don't think pep could have got a better compliment imo.

No he doesn't. He just laments the decline of the art of oldschool 'Italian' defending and counterattacking football. The decline that was caused by spreading of modernized version of 'Dutch' play with high defensive line and defending from the front, by pressing. Guardiola hasn't invented any new concepts, he's just found ways to make Dutch approach effective again. It's like a war of football cultures that Italians are losing ATM.

One can say that in terms of pure defending modern 'ball-playing' defs are much, much worse than the likes of Baresi, Nesta or Zanetti. Which is true - they have more diverse duties and different skillset. So, some skills are lost from the game, and it causes frustration to the likes Chiellini. The famous Italian approach (defend deep, don't concede, use counters) seems to be outdated right now, and they feel themselves less valuable.

I don't see any conclusions about effectiveness of this or that style in Chiellini's interview. He just says that his abilities are not valued. Football landscape has changed. And he's frustrated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.