Guardiola now accused of ruining Italian football!

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by Dribble, 9 Nov 2017.

1. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

Agreed, to me it came over complimentary and said in a jovial way.

2. ballinio

ballinio

I'll wait till he's won something

3. kippax4ever

kippax4ever

Is that Italian for,4 fork handles...?

4. Neville Kneville

Neville Kneville

I'm quoting from different sites.

Clearly the bloke is actually blaming Pep's influence on Italian football for spoiling their defensive qualities & elsewhere Bonucchi seems to be backing him up.

Absolutely fucking ludicrous.

5. Neville Kneville

Neville Kneville

It isn't though.

I"ve quoted him directly blaming Pep's influence on football & lamenting its effect.

It's not a compiment any more than we compliment Mourinho for his defensive shite on here, it's a plain, obvious complaint.

6. Dribble

Dribble

I don't see it as anything other than a compliment. Chielini is basically saying the likes of Guardiola and Sarri are rewriting the tactical rule book which has served Italian clubs so well in the past and that it's a breath of fresh air.

However he's also saying that defenders are now caught between defending man to man or zonally and the way the Italian defenders were coached in the past and present, needs to be rewritten for current and future generations thanks to Guardiola & Sarri's successes and influences.

Essentially, Chielini is saying Pep has found a way to better way to play football than the Italian's & I don't think pep could have got a better compliment imo.

7. prestonibbo_mcfc

prestonibbo_mcfc

Bloody hell Frank, i agree with you ;-)

8. Andrew___K

Andrew___K

No he doesn't. He just laments the decline of the art of oldschool 'Italian' defending and counterattacking football. The decline that was caused by spreading of modernized version of 'Dutch' play with high defensive line and defending from the front, by pressing. Guardiola hasn't invented any new concepts, he's just found ways to make Dutch approach effective again. It's like a war of football cultures that Italians are losing ATM.

One can say that in terms of pure defending modern 'ball-playing' defs are much, much worse than the likes of Baresi, Nesta or Zanetti. Which is true - they have more diverse duties and different skillset. So, some skills are lost from the game, and it causes frustration to the likes Chiellini. The famous Italian approach (defend deep, don't concede, use counters) seems to be outdated right now, and they feel themselves less valuable.

I don't see any conclusions about effectiveness of this or that style in Chiellini's interview. He just says that his abilities are not valued. Football landscape has changed. And he's frustrated.

9. franksinatra

franksinatra

Now now. Be careful its a lonely life on here being on the side of sense and logic. :-).

10. prestonibbo_mcfc

prestonibbo_mcfc

Well having neither, i wouldn't know.