Half-term report

new years day is the best time for this question, the result v liverpool could be pivotal
I think a lot of people expect us to lose that one but I agree it will be pivotal if we win it providing of course we also beat Hull and Burnley.

Good post I agree with everything you say.
I would add that being 7 points behind the leaders is not a lost situation at this stage of the season. I seem to remember some team coming back from being 8 points behind the leaders with only 6 games to go. Now that was a real lost cause. If we continue to improve and gell with Peps systems then we could have a good go at the title.

The problem with being 7 points behind at this stage is that we have the added pressure of not being able to afford any more slip ups, Chelsea have a cushion, the knowledge that if they have a blip they would still have the chance to recover. In 11/12 it only took a couple of slip ups from United, coupled with them having to play us, to put us in the driving seat. Its quite likely that Chelsea will also have a couple of bad results, but we have to sustain a run for longer to capitailise on that.

11/12 proved that its possible to recover from what appears to be a sizeable deficit. But 12/13, 14/15 and 15/16 also demonstrated that if we slip behind the leaders in Dec/Jan, its more difficult to catch up.

I think the idea is to use Christmas as the half way mark rather than 19 games. I dare say that results today and next Saturday may change a lot of peoples scores
Also a good point that 19 is the half way mark and not 18 as I wrongly stated. We could be a point off top and well clear of third by then you're right.

6p from Hull and Pool and I'll give us 8,5 out of 10, that Chelsea keep on winning can't be done much about, but if we get the maximum from this week, we're in a good position.

It could still go either way, (especially if we progress in the CL and start getting distracted) but many of last season's weaknesses have crept into our recent performances: recurring injurues, sloppy defending, slow starts, too many peripheral lightweight midfielders, minimal effort and concentration when the opposition have the ball etc.
Also, nobody knows if Jesus will hit the ground running or whether he'll take time to settle like Sane.
Most people would agree that we need at least three new defenders, but these will probably come in the summer. For the moment, we'll have to rely on a lot of goals protecting our defensive frailty.

We have stood still instead of progressing. Must do better 6/10
Can't understand how any fan can think that.

Last 17 games last season 27 points
First 17 games this season 37 points

If you can't see an improvement in our play or think we are in a better position now then we were at the end of May then I don't know what to say really.

I'd give us a 6 for current performance & a 9.5 for potential.

I think most of the talk of huge learning curves etc for Pep, is comical bollocks. It's about small adjustments here & there so far as the manager is concerned. The huge learning curve is for the players & some of the fans.

The bigger questions for me are whether any of our current defenders are going to become good enough to do the job Pep requires, IN ANY SYSTEM at Premier League intensity & whether we are going to become more clinical at both finishing & final pass. If we don't get at least one end right, Pep's football can't function, it's that simple. Then who do we sign to make it work ?

Players: not that happy with any so far bar Sterling & Fernandinho. Workrate is good on the whole though.

Pep: fully understand what he's trrying to do. Stuff talked about systems is bullshit. But his part of the job which so far isn't god enough, is the actual organisation of the defence in open play, in any system.

The players have been dozy quite often, but in a 3 or a 4, it's not right. They are too random & not organised. That's his job.

7/10.
The season has gone just the opposite of what I anticipated before the start of the season. Expected us to struggle with the new system in the first few months and then kick on after adapting to PEPs style and demanding requirements.
Disappointments both in defence and in the goal scoring department but plenty of positives in the midfield and individual performances from players who have upped their game this season.
Liverpool away is a massive game but I expect us to move more into cruise control for the second half of the season. Let's enjoy our rollercoaster ride and see what it brings.

Think we have done okay but it's clear Pep has limited room for manoeuvre in the second half of the season he simply doesnt have the players to execute his plans. I guess he'll be looking for major changes in the summer that will give him a squad he can really work with. You do have to wonder how - given the hierarchy knew of his arrival how he (Pep) got stuffed with such a limited squad - particularly in defensive areas at the end of the last transfer window - given the resources we made available.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.