Happy Anniversary of major success - 114 years ago today....

Gary James

On this day in 1904 (23 April) City won the FA Cup for the first time. This was the first major success by any Manchester team and resulted in, you guessed it, a pitch invasion by City fans at the Crystal Palace.

The final is obviously significant to City but it meant much, much more than people normally think and established Manchester as a footballing city. My article on the significance of it is free to download today as part of the commemoration so feel free to download it if you've not done so already. Also, worth spreading the word/article link to anyone you know who fails to recognise the significance of MCFC to football/Manchester or anyone who thinks it's always been about a different club. Here's the link: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14660970.2014.961378?src=recsys

It's been download about 9500 times; it'd be nice to get over the 10,000 mark of course while it's free. Thanks

I have a framed picture of the 1904 FA Cup winning team in my house. Tragic, I know. I'll get my coat.

On this day in 1904 (23 April) City won the FA Cup for the first time. This was the first major success by any Manchester team and resulted in, you guessed it, a pitch invasion by City fans at the Crystal Palace.

The final is obviously significant to City but it meant much, much more than people normally think and established Manchester as a footballing city. My article on the significance of it is free to download today as part of the commemoration so feel free to download it if you've not done so already. Also, worth spreading the word/article link to anyone you know who fails to recognise the significance of MCFC to football/Manchester or anyone who thinks it's always been about a different club. Here's the link: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14660970.2014.961378?src=recsys

It's been download about 9500 times; it'd be nice to get over the 10,000 mark of course while it's free. Thanks
Well, I was at St James’s when we won it in 1968 (is it really 50 years since then?!) and THAT was what I call a pitch invasion! As others have said, here and elsewhere, ‘If only we had some ‘Istree..’ Well done re. your article and the others you post, including your wider research, all really interesting.. it’s important to keep reminding ourselves (and those younger ones who will follow) of where we actually came from, rather than pay attention to the media narrative adopted by other clubs’ fans of the ‘oil club’ and other such misconceptions/downright lies..

Well, I was at St James’s when we won it in 1968 (is it really 50 years since then?!) and THAT was what I call a pitch invasion! As others have said, here and elsewhere, ‘If only we had some ‘Istree..’ Well done re. your article and the others you post, including your wider research, all really interesting.. it’s important to keep reminding ourselves (and those younger ones who will follow) of where we actually came from, rather than pay attention to the media narrative adopted by other clubs’ fans of the ‘oil club’ and other such misconceptions/downright lies..
Yes - we've not helped ourselves much by often talking about 1997-99. It's an absolutely important era but uncharacteristic of the club. Sadly, the wider world believes we were (at best) a third tier club who got lucky with money. I was interviewed about 3 years ago by a Turkish TV company who wanted to understand what City was. I spent ages with them and did loads of stuff (like take them to the site of Maine Road) and spell out what the club was. Then we did an interview and the interviewer said "you'll have to forgive me for how we start but it's important to set the context." I thought that was odd but was prepared (I've done loads of interviews where they've said MCFC has no history so I have a few stock phrases ready). Anyway she opened with: "In Turkey there is a saying amongst football fans. 'It goes Liverpool have the history, Manchester United the success and City - the bastards - they have the money!' How do you feel about that?" My response was "Well, if we're talking about history.... City won a major trophy years before United, Arsenal, Chelsea. They won a major European trophy before Liverpool. City hold record attendances that those clubs cannot match. If we're talking about success, City were the first Manchester side to win major trophy and prior to 1945 they were the undisputed giants of Manchester football. If we're talking money.... Liverpool was created by a man who owned a ground and wanted to make money out of it; United received considerable investment to transform their club - twice! - and Ferguson's 1989 squad was the most expensive ever assembled in Britain at that time."

They were actually happy with that because it allowed them to get the right message across. If only we could do the same with all other media, especially those in Britain who still go on about the investment as if City have never been a giant club.

Yes - we've not helped ourselves much by often talking about 1997-99. It's an absolutely important era but uncharacteristic of the club. Sadly, the wider world believes we were (at best) a third tier club who got lucky with money. I was interviewed about 3 years ago by a Turkish TV company who wanted to understand what City was. I spent ages with them and did loads of stuff (like take them to the site of Maine Road) and spell out what the club was. Then we did an interview and the interviewer said "you'll have to forgive me for how we start but it's important to set the context." I thought that was odd but was prepared (I've done loads of interviews where they've said MCFC has no history so I have a few stock phrases ready). Anyway she opened with: "In Turkey there is a saying amongst football fans. 'It goes Liverpool have the history, Manchester United the success and City - the bastards - they have the money!' How do you feel about that?" My response was "Well, if we're talking about history.... City won a major trophy years before United, Arsenal, Chelsea. They won a major European trophy before Liverpool. City hold record attendances that those clubs cannot match. If we're talking about success, City were the first Manchester side to win major trophy and prior to 1945 they were the undisputed giants of Manchester football. If we're talking money.... Liverpool was created by a man who owned a ground and wanted to make money out of it; United received considerable investment to transform their club - twice! - and Ferguson's 1989 squad was the most expensive ever assembled in Britain at that time."

They were actually happy with that because it allowed them to get the right message across. If only we could do the same with all other media, especially those in Britain who still go on about the investment as if City have never been a giant club.
Indeed, indeed, indeed.. Agree with all the points you raise but to to pick up on one element, namely the financial side of football.. In my lifetime following City I’ve seen, just for examples (and there are many others besides)
- Sunderland’s ‘Bank Of England’ club
- Everton’s ‘Millionaires’ club (made possible by John Moores’s personal guarantee of underwritten transfer dealings, plus an initial loan of £56k to finance new players, including ‘The Golden Vision’, Alex Young.. a boost to Everton’s finances of at least 25% of their earnings at the time)
- Similar investment at Liverpool by the Moores family when they were still a 2nd Division outfit, kick-starting the Shankly era
- Nottingham Forest breaking the world record buying a goalkeeper and the first £1M player on the way to their European success
- United’s late 80s spending under Ferguson, as you point out
- Arsenal’s spending to kick-start the Wenger era, a la Shankly, only with noughts on..
- Newcastle’s splurge under Sir John Hall in the mid-90s
- Leeds’s disastrous attempt to compete in Europe under Ridsdale..
Then Chelsea and City do the same, only on a bigger scale as the costs of entry have skyrocketed post- Premier and Champions Leagues, and get vilified for ‘ruining football’ when it’s always been the same story down the ages that, as Dylan wrote, ‘Money doesn’t talk, it swears’
I hope that the dignified way our owners have done business since the takeover will continue and all of us Blues behave in similar fashion as successes and failures occur. If we can pass that on to future Blues, then the good fortune/success we’ve enjoyed since the investment came in will be even sweeter still in my view!

Indeed, indeed, indeed.. Agree with all the points you raise but to to pick up on one element, namely the financial side of football.. In my lifetime following City I’ve seen, just for examples (and there are many others besides)
- Sunderland’s ‘Bank Of England’ club
- Everton’s ‘Millionaires’ club (made possible by John Moores’s personal guarantee of underwritten transfer dealings, plus an initial loan of £56k to finance new players, including ‘The Golden Vision’, Alex Young.. a boost to Everton’s finances of at least 25% of their earnings at the time)
- Similar investment at Liverpool by the Moores family when they were still a 2nd Division outfit, kick-starting the Shankly era
- Nottingham Forest breaking the world record buying a goalkeeper and the first £1M player on the way to their European success
- United’s late 80s spending under Ferguson, as you point out
- Arsenal’s spending to kick-start the Wenger era, a la Shankly, only with noughts on..
- Newcastle’s splurge under Sir John Hall in the mid-90s
- Leeds’s disastrous attempt to compete in Europe under Ridsdale..
Then Chelsea and City do the same, only on a bigger scale as the costs of entry have skyrocketed post- Premier and Champions Leagues, and get vilified for ‘ruining football’ when it’s always been the same story down the ages that, as Dylan wrote, ‘Money doesn’t talk, it swears’
I hope that the dignified way our owners have done business since the takeover will continue and all of us Blues behave in similar fashion as successes and failures occur. If we can pass that on to future Blues, then the good fortune/success we’ve enjoyed since the investment came in will be even sweeter still in my view!
Exactly. And Blackburn too, when they were in the 2nd tier, through their Premier League win.

Even QPR and a few others have tried it recently, but now you can't do it with a one-time 200-300 million pound investment - that's just pissing your money away.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.