Happy The Queen is Dead Day

I am always talking to friends who 30 years on now say ''yeah I really like them now'' when at the time they wouldn't go anywhere near them. I suppose the cult and mystique around the band just grows and grows and yes I suspect if they did a stadium tour I'd probably miss out on a ticket through the stampede!
I will have a look at the ticket when home later (they are all framed on the wall) I know the Free Trade Hall gig a few months later was £4.50 (£4.00 with UB40 card lol)
Was a funny gig that, kicked off big time with a few nob heads.

Was a funny gig that, kicked off big time with a few nob heads.
Don't recall it actually kicking off, but that gig was the closest I have been to being at a football game when at a gig!
Between each song the taunting of the crowd with the intimidating ''Salford, Salford'' chant, just waiting for someone to shout another district's name and then it would kick off. Morrissey defused the situation brilliantly by retorting in a childish style manner with ''Stretford, Stretford, Stretford''. Everyone laughed, the tension defused and everyone got on with having a great hot and sweaty gig.
Going to watch the gig when home on Thursday - never seen it in full at all.

Death at one's elbow is as bad as it gets for me.
Yes, I'd say that and unhappy birthday are both below their usual high standards. Not especially keen on paint a vulgar picture either. It's a decent enough album, don't get me wrong, but when I think of some of the singles and b-sides they brought out between TQID and Strangeways, I think it represented a significant dip in "form". But then plenty of fans think it is their best album so I realise it is only my personal opinion.

Yes, I'd say that and unhappy birthday are both below their usual high standards. Not especially keen on paint a vulgar picture either. It's a decent enough album, don't get me wrong, but when I think of some of the singles and b-sides they brought out between TQID and Strangeways, I think it represented a significant dip in "form". But then plenty of fans think it is their best album so I realise it is only my personal opinion.

no i think you are spot on mate, maybe the growing tensions affected the creativity
much prefer the world won't listen

I may be wrong but I think Strangeways was completed before Sheila and Shoplifters were recorded. Will check later (unless you correct me first)
I have seen an interview with Steven Street and he says that the belief is it was during Strangeways recording when the atmosphere changed and he denied it, said it was never better. It was after this recording when Johnny just wanted time out from 4 years constant touring / recording.... and the fall out began. (Can't wait for Johnny's book to come out in November)
You are correct in saying SHWC is a lot of fans favourites, including super fan and author (even more of a super fan than I am!) Simon Goddard.

I may be wrong but I think Strangeways was completed before Sheila and Shoplifters were recorded. Will check later (unless you correct me first)
I have seen an interview with Steven Street and he says that the belief is it was during Strangeways recording when the atmosphere changed and he denied it, said it was never better. It was after this recording when Johnny just wanted time out from 4 years constant touring / recording.... and the fall out began. (Can't wait for Johnny's book to come out in November)
You are correct in saying SHWC is a lot of fans favourites, including super fan and author (even more of a super fan than I am!) Simon Goddard.
Where would you rank (excuse the pun) it? I think Meat is Murder and The Queen is Dead stand head and shoulders above it, probably the first album is a closer run thing. Just checking Simon Goddard's book (finally got round to buying it a few weeks ago) and think Strangeways was recorded after Sheila and Shoplifters.

Last edited:
Yes there isn't much between the 2nd and 3rd albums.
The stark difference between the 1st and 4th is staggering in terms of production / arrangements etc in how the band developed in 4 very short years. But if I could only take one of those two on a desert island.... it would be the debut album.
The reason I thought Sheila and Shoplifters were after Strangeways was when it all kicked off in that Notting Hill chippy, Marr agreed to continue only to complete the single's B sides (and was further pissed off when one was a Cilla Black cover!)

Yes there isn't much between the 2nd and 3rd albums.
The stark difference between the 1st and 4th is staggering in terms of production / arrangements etc in how the band developed in 4 very short years. But if I could only take one of those two on a desert island.... it would be the debut album.
The reason I thought Sheila and Shoplifters were after Strangeways was when it all kicked off in that Notting Hill chippy, Marr agreed to continue only to complete the single's B sides (and was further pissed off when one was a Cilla Black cover!)
So that would have been b-sides for Girlfriend in a Coma...I Keep Mine Hidden and the dodgy Cilla one. He didn't even see it out for subsequent b-sides did he? Ended up being loads of demo stuff etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.