Hard Drive Partitions

flyer

My C: (250Gb) drive needs replacing so I've bought a new 1Tb drive today. Using Acronis True Image I successfully cloned the C: drive onto this new F: drive. But when I check the properties of this F: drive its now shown as only 250Gb as the old C: drive.

So I thought I needed to format the F: drive and start again but this time create a 250Gb partition on the F: drive and clone the C: drive into this partition leaving me the other 750Gb of space for other things. Acronis lets you do this as well but when I'd finished the F: drive only shows 250Gb and no sign of the other 750Gb.

What am I doing wrong and how do I get access to the missing 750Gb?

Thanks in advance for any help. Please keep it simple if you can

Ok, sorted it.

When you create a new partition of 250Gb, you also have to create a partition for the remaining 750Gb at the same time and assign it with a new drive letter.

Ok, sorted it.

When you create a new partition of 250Gb, you also have to create a partition for the remaining 750Gb at the same time and assign it with a new drive letter.
You need to expand the 250GB not create another partition (unless you want to). It's easier and safer to do this on another pc.

Thanks Jalfraag, but the first time I tried this, the partition was the entire drive but still ended up as 250Gb after cloning. Surely expanding the 250Gb will just result in the same thing

Thanks Jalfraag, but the first time I tried this, the partition was the entire drive but still ended up as 250Gb after cloning. Surely expanding the 250Gb will just result in the same thing
When you clone a partition it will give you a n exact copy of your 250GB original hdd. You will then have 750GB of unpartitioned space. This can be fixed by expanding the the 250 to 1TB. You should be able to do this in windows via disk management, extend volume.
I would boot from the original disk when you do this.

I had a recent issue where I got a RED screen of death, not the BSOD but red. Had to reinstall everything. Had to clone some partitions. I use EaseUS partition manager. So easy to use and it's free. With that you can clone your partition and then expand the partition. Easy as pie.

Have you got a link? Is it one you need 100,000 signatures to get it before parliament?

Think you need to find another clone software that allows for different disk sizes (Sorry I am no help I used windows home server which was a ball ache as I had to "create" a machine to act as the server)

Try avforums I've found answers on there for everything connected to a plug. Except the kitchen sink.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.