Hendrix

dobingsdobber

Any one who knows my post history on here will know my predeliction for the Wicker Man and Hendrix, so indulge me for a moment.
I was looking at some you tube Hendrix stuff. I am now 65 years of age and lived the sixties, I know for real what it was like. I have been a professional musician since my teens, worked with the best and learned all the tricks.
However, when I get into conversation with colleagues, they all say Hendrix was inimitable and we will never see his like again, and I tend to believe them.
Am I plowing a lone furrow here? I tend to think not, having discussed this at length with people like Richard Thompson, Clapton, Ritchie Blackmore, Johnny Winter, Pete Townsend et al.
Am I still wasing my life worshipping the man or what?

Any one who knows my post history on here will know my predeliction for the Wicker Man and Hendrix, so indulge me for a moment.
I was looking at some you tube Hendrix stuff. I am now 65 years of age and lived the sixties, I know for real what it was like. I have been a professional musician since my teens, worked with the best and learned all the tricks.
However, when I get into conversation with colleagues, they all say Hendrix was inimitable and we will never see his like again, and I tend to believe them.
Am I plowing a lone furrow here? I tend to think not, having discussed this at length with people like Richard Thompson, Clapton, Ritchie Blackmore, Johnny Winter, Pete Townsend et al.
Am I still wasing my life worshipping the man or what?

You like him and that's your choice and I can see why you like him because wasn't he fantastic? I don't subscribe to the notion that he's the best in fact I wouldn't suggest anyone was the best and that they genuinely broke ground in a unique way that can't be attributed to the standing on the shoulders of giants theory.

This is my most favourite number from him by a country mile, i'm not a musician and am just looking at this (Or listening to it) from an end users perspective mate.

You like him and that's your choice and I can see why you like him because wasn't he fantastic? I don't subscribe to the notion that he's the best in fact I wouldn't suggest anyone was the best and that they genuinely broke ground in a unique way that can't be attributed to the standing on the shoulders of giants theory.

This is my most favourite number from him by a country mile, i'm not a musician and am just looking at this (Or listening to it) from an end users perspective mate.

Cheers Vonkey, just glad he hit a bone with you some where.

He stood out at the time because he was so unorthodox; left-handed but played a right-handed guitar upside down,and couldn't read a note of music.

He also had a style of playing and sound that made him stand out; that doesn't necessarily mean he was a better guitar player than his contemporaries, but he had something that elevated him above the others. There have been many great rock guitarists over the years but only handful have had a style whereby you could hear a short snippet and know who it was: I'd put Tom Morello and Jack White in that category, perhaps along with Eddie Van Halen, David Gilmour, Chuck Berry and Jimmy Page.

He stood out at the time because he was so unorthodox; left-handed but played a right-handed guitar upside down,and couldn't read a note of music.

He also had a style of playing and sound that made him stand out; that doesn't necessarily mean he was a better guitar player than his contemporaries, but he had something that elevated him above the others. There have been many great rock guitarists over the years but only handful have had a style whereby you could hear a short snippet and know who it was: I'd put Tom Morello and Jack White in that category, perhaps along with Eddie Van Halen, David Gilmour, Chuck Berry and Jimmy Page.
Fair comment che, thanks for the response,

When i'm feeling down i blast out 'All Along The Watchtower' and all is then right with the World, the man was a genius

Thanks for the reply Trev,the thing that struck me from the stuff on the tube was how fresh it sounded, could have been recorded yesterday or next week.
Used the guitar in ways that couldn't even be imagined. Almost a lazy style of playing, with a lot of open strings and moveable chords, but oh so effective.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.