HMS Ocean to be scrapped

Nothing the MOD do makes sense. The biggest crime is trying to develop our own arms and equipment when it always ends up costing far more and is usually inferior to stuff that is already on the market. The only reason I can think of is to hand big fat contracts to someone who will be rewarding you with a seat on the board when you retire.
In the 80s when it was time to replace the venerable SLR, instead of going for something which would be cheaper and better, they went for a design that was shit, cost a fortune and dated from WW2. It was so bad they had to bring in Heckler and Koch to fix it.
So our forces are usually woefully equipped and countries who spend far less on defence than us have far better weapons and equipment.

The biggest crime is trying to develop our own arms and equipment when it always ends up costing far more and is usually inferior to stuff that is already on the market. The only reason I can think of is to hand big fat contracts to someone who will be rewarding you with a seat on the board when you retire.

Developing our own weapons has massive economic benefits. We fund the skills and training of people in the manufacturing industry, employ lots of people, keep the production line flowing thus save them from the dole and most importantly we put enough funds into it that these companies who manufacture here can keep their technologies up to date so that they can compete with foreign entities for other contracts

@Gelsons Dad This stupid or sensible?

Developing our own weapons has massive economic benefits. We fund the skills and training of people in the manufacturing industry, employ lots of people, keep the production line flowing thus save them from the dole and most importantly we put enough funds into it that these companies who manufacture here can keep their technologies up to date so that they can compete with foreign entities for other contracts

To be honest I'm not sure yet about Ocean. On first inspection it would appear premature but it depends on the timing of the first aircraft carrier which will do Oceans job as well as host the F35s.

I agree with your second post but it's a shame we've been playing catch up since the early 70s in the (heavy end of the)defence industry. I'm no fan of BAE systems but I'd rather we put our money behind it than keep funding other nations industries. At least we have a decent slice of F35 and we have one or two other sexy bits of kit which are home grown.

We do rule the world when it comes to ejection seats too! http://www.martin-baker.com/

Completely agree.
The French have only 1 non French aircraft in their entire military, an AWACS.
French police drive only French cars.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.