Home vs Away

Can't expect teams to come to play football because they know that if they do they will get hammered more often than not. It is up to is to find a way around this. We no longer seem to be able to do this on a consistent basis and having slow full backs who don't overlap (whether under instructions or not) is a problem. Zabaleta in his prime used to cause all sorts of problems overlapping on the right.

Teams will also have seen over the season that we are prone to conceding sloppy goals. Not so much recently but certainly in the first half of the season and so the bus parking tactic can work. Stoke almost scored after 5 mins yesterday and it would have made the night worse had that gone in.

the biggest issue we have is missing too many chances. Every game we haven't won at home this season, we should have done. Silva should have scored last night.

Because we have played all the shit teams away and good teams at home. I expect it to be even by the time we have played WBA,and Palace at home and Chelsea and Arsenal away

I think part of the problem is that we don't go out to tear teams a new one. Our football is too structured, too scared of losing precious possession, and often too much pissing about at the back before going forwards meaning opponents have time to get all players back rather than just six or seven. It's alright saying the kids did exactly that last night and scored six but they weren't missing the target when they got in the box.
And we just can't score enough. Boro 1-1, Southampton 1-1, Stoke 0-0 etc. The parking the bus argument is valid to a high degree, but haven't teams park the bus against us since 2010? Park the bus against Sergio and one of Tevez, Dzeko and Mario, and the title heads for East Manchester. Two seasons later it's Sergio with Negredo or Dzeko (or Jovetic on the odd occasion he was fit) and it's another title. But leave Sergio alone up front, deny him much service and we can't panic the bus parkers. What a surprise?
The approach play is brilliant, but the end product far less so. We used to get in the box and force panic amongst defenders scared to tackle in case they concede a penalty. Now it's all outside the box and we rarely shoot from range.
All this might change if he plays Sergio alongside Jesus next season. But will that compromise "the shape"?
We also have major problems at the back where we've weakened. Losing MDM and Mangala may not be a problem but it is when we only brought in Stones and Vince is made of glass. We might have missed out on a couple of targets but there must have been others available. I know some say we shouldn't be buying fourth choice defenders but Pep doesn't trust any of the kids and was perfectly happy to jettison one of the best keepers and replace him with his third or fourth choice replacement.
I assume this will improve next season when Pep has raided the bank and when he's realised teams won't roll over as they do in Spain and Germany.

I think part of the problem is that we don't go out to tear teams a new one. Our football is too structured, too scared of losing precious possession, and often too much pissing about at the back before going forwards meaning opponents have time to get all players back rather than just six or seven. It's alright saying the kids did exactly that last night and scored six but they weren't missing the target when they got in the box.
And we just can't score enough. Boro 1-1, Southampton 1-1, Stoke 0-0 etc. The parking the bus argument is valid to a high degree, but haven't teams park the bus against us since 2010? Park the bus against Sergio and one of Tevez, Dzeko and Mario, and the title heads for East Manchester. Two seasons later it's Sergio with Negredo or Dzeko (or Jovetic on the odd occasion he was fit) and it's another title. But leave Sergio alone up front, deny him much service and we can't panic the bus parkers. What a surprise?
The approach play is brilliant, but the end product far less so. We used to get in the box and force panic amongst defenders scared to tackle in case they concede a penalty. Now it's all outside the box and we rarely shoot from range.
All this might change if he plays Sergio alongside Jesus next season. But will that compromise "the shape"?
We also have major problems at the back where we've weakened. Losing MDM and Mangala may not be a problem but it is when we only brought in Stones and Vince is made of glass. We might have missed out on a couple of targets but there must have been others available. I know some say we shouldn't be buying fourth choice defenders but Pep doesn't trust any of the kids and was perfectly happy to jettison one of the best keepers and replace him with his third or fourth choice replacement.
I assume this will improve next season when Pep has raided the bank and when he's realised teams won't roll over as they do in Spain and Germany.
On the money this post.

We don't shoot enough when we get chance, Silva and Clichy both had great chances to have a dip the other night but tried to play the killer ball instead. I would have liked to have seen Delph come on, he is more direct and busts a gut to get in the box, too often there is nobody in the box

Not sure if this is a factor, but I think Guardiola is more inclined to rotate the team at home, whereas more often than not we'll play our strongest available XI on the road.

Please do you have any idea why he would consider this to be a good idea?

Just to point out we are not much better Away than at Home 30 points from 14 games v 26 points from 13, just that we do not have a home advantage that most teams have.

There is maybe an element of bus parking I also think we have been pretty unlucky at home both in terms of refereeing decisions and just not quite getting the goals that our play has frequently deserved with a combination of poor finishing and some pretty good defensive / goalkeeping performances.

everton at home, boro at home theres 4 extra points, games we 100% should of won,not to mention spurs at home,games where we deserved the victories.

then the Chelsea game with kdb miss at 1-0,

we aren't far off being tremendous at home and away,think next season with a few upgrades we will be a formidable team home and away

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.