Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

The last time I heard that sung was by Wigan fans at city fans in the 99 play-off semi at Springfield park - thick cunts

Who were the hundreds or thousands of city fans singing 'town full of pakis' at the likes of Preston or Bradford then if we never had a racist element? NF used to sell papers on forecourt between North and Maine stand. We did have a problem with racism though admittedly not as much as the likes of Leeds, Birmingham, Chelsea etc
Just the way it was back then, a piss-take to noise up the hick town opposition fans rather than thousands of big bad hardcore racists.

Those mini buses came from all over and the lads in them were not always as I first assumed from the club area they followed around. They often latched on to the more notorious lads teams, like you said chelsea, millwall and west ham were also quite popular. There was a group I found out that went to most hammers games in a transit mini bus from my village and others nearby. Back in the village you would think butter wouldn't melt monday to friday but come the weekend they were different animals. I got some lifts to the train station a few times if they were passing, "have fun" was the thanks word when getting dropped off. I clocked them once and they had that look of dread as they clocked me, was near the ground with a large group of rum looking lads hoping to welcome any hammers so it wasn't a friendly situation. The instinct to call them out nearly kicked in but gave them a pass. Obviously I would have paid for it later at some point so even though it's still up for debate I wasn't totall reckless.
Another good post.

The Lutons and Transits bring back plenty of memories, it wasn't a rough arsed pit community but Hazel Grove had a proper village feel to it back in the 70s/80s, being on the A6 with 13 pubs within a mile or so it was a regular stop off for plenty of lads of various clubs, Friday nights were usually the liveliest, Stockport played home games on Fridays, so the likes of Mansfield, Chesterfield, Lincoln etc would often pay us a visit, club allegiances were generally put aside in favour of 'defending' the Grove.. We did have the odd full coach stop off for a drink, one particular night after Forest had played in a semi at ot there must have been a convoy of about 50 came through, some bright spark bricked one, a couple of them pulled up and emptied, we were hunted for about 2 hours by loads of long haired rocker types, could hear them but managed to stay clear, no idea if anyone on the coach was hurt but if this lot had caught any of us it would've ended badly, my home was only about 200yds from where it occurred but I couldn't get there as the whole place was swarming with mad greasers.

Another good post.

The Lutons and Transits bring back plenty of memories, it wasn't a rough arsed pit community but Hazel Grove had a proper village feel to it back in the 70s/80s, being on the A6 with 13 pubs within a mile or so it was a regular stop off for plenty of lads of various clubs, Friday nights were usually the liveliest, Stockport played home games on Fridays, so the likes of Mansfield, Chesterfield, Lincoln etc would often pay us a visit, club allegiances were generally put aside in favour of 'defending' the Grove.. We did have the odd full coach stop off for a drink, one particular night after Forest had played in a semi at ot there must have been a convoy of about 50 came through, some bright spark bricked one, a couple of them pulled up and emptied, we were hunted for about 2 hours by loads of long haired rocker types, could hear them but managed to stay clear, no idea if anyone on the coach was hurt but if this lot had caught any of us it would've ended badly, my home was only about 200yds from where it occurred but I couldn't get there as the whole place was swarming with mad greasers.
Forest were known for having a ‘greaser’ firm.

You want some you smelly fucker ?

Hold on, hold on...a few ground rules before you answer
No biting, kicking, and none of that punching elbows or head butting either.
A bit of hair pulling(I'm bald still) is ok.
I've got bad knees can't move that quick now and an aversion to pain but be warned before you fancy your chances I'm still pretty decent at Indian burns.

Actually keep it to youself but I was nailing a punk at the time, Andrea hall. she had marvelous big round breasts and they looked tremendous in her scruffy holed vest, she didn't smell at all.
I was never into punk at all, but always went in the Punk Room at Pips, for some reason i always scored in there :-)

Really? I can recall town full of Munich’s being regularly sung (which fortunately is now a thing of the past) but not that
100% was sung, I remember it well. I Don’t think it was racism so much as a gang of lads coming up with what they felt was a bit of humour. It was a complete different era and not frowned upon at the time. Same as the Spurs song...Nobody batted an eyelid then, but its a completely different world now ( thankfully)

Always been murders with city and spurs home and away.
There was a Spurs game at Maine Road where it spilled out the back of the Kippax and then hundreds came running through the tunnel by the Platt Lane End. I remember being in the middle of a “fracas” as it spilled over the wall by the corner flag. I barely got my feet under me on the pitch side of the wall when I was literally lifted up and over the wall by a copper, straight back into it!

Must have been mid-late 70s, as I was a young teenager, I think.

Another one I remember was a lone Leeds fan running down the ginnel outside between the Platt Lane and Kippax, towards the Platt Lane. He came out onto the forecourt by the old parking lot and ran straight into someone. About 50 City fans were chasing him, and by the time he got to his feet he was surrounded by them. He had a Leeds scarf around his wrist, and I just remember him lifting his hands up in front of him and giving the old Bruce Lee “come on then!” finger wave!

He quickly disappeared under a hail of punches snd kicks and I scarpered off down the other ginnel towards Thornton Road by the Ice Cream Warehouse behind the parking lot, as we used to go to my Grans on Horton Rd on match days. Was a miracle if we got to or from the ground down those gunnels without dog shit on our shoes or falling over on the cobbles!!

On a nice day, my Gran used to sit out with a smoke and a drink listening to the crowd during games! She’d know the score before we could ever tell her!

Crisp butties and a piece of fruit for lunch before the game, 1/4 of wine gums for the game, and a bar of chocolate after the game...if you ate all your tea!

Ah, the good old days!!!

And, we STILL take Lions Wine Gums to the games, but they’re getting harder to find these days!!

When I moved to FL for flight training, my dear old Mum & Dad visited for their hols. Brought me a full store box of Lions Wine Gums over as a “gift!” I was about 27 and been here for 9 years, but they knew!!! :-)

Memory Lane....

Last edited:
Another good post.

I'm originally from Clowne just the other side of Chesterfield it's more a lovely Village now than the place I grew up in. I wouldn't swap it for any place though I had a great childhood looking back.For a Village it had a stack of pubs from memory I think 11 just on the main road through the high street. Being from Clowne I was safer walking around moss side than any of the villages near me as they could know by looking at me I wasn't related and didnt have webbed feet like them.

The A6 into manchester had plenty of pubs on route and back then on saturdays nearly everyone would have coach or mini bus parked nearby on saturdays. The signs of "No Coaches" started to become a common theme after they got fed up of the places getting smashed up. It was my main route to games and stopping off for a piss at a pub was always a pause for thought moment when a minibus was parked up. The local lads were sometimes looking for a scrap as well, with my derbyshire accent I was mainly ok but it was the common used asking for the time listening for any accent trick they used.
I used to go to a few Chesterfield games and went to the local away derby against Mansfield with a few lads I got to know. To say they were crazy would not be doing them justice. Unbeknown to me they had a great idea which after a small amount of time I thought was not that great. This great idea was lets battle to the ground by going into all the local pubs on the way upsetting the 6 fingered locals. Now I was always up for a bit of fun but fuck me after 3 pubs and a run I said come on lads lets go for a quiet drink and go watch the game.If you have ever been into the local pubs around mansfield then you would soon know why I thought it wasn't a great idea.Full of rough arsed gurning big ugly would smack you for beathing types and thats the women. I admit always said I was doing my hair or something after that day when they asked if I fancied an away game.Completely bonkers those lads .

I'm in Nottingham now, been here nearly 30 years, I tried but my lad is a forest fan and I've been dragged to a few night games but don't see those rocker types at the ground these days. Some of the old Forest lads use the local near me for their meet ups, I don't go in as bacially they are still arseholes and still give people the death stare. One lives 3 doors from me, I had a little shout off with him just after I moved in.He nearly rode into me on his push bike as I came out my gate, I simply told him to get on the road. He stopped and motioned to get off his bike and I gave one of my best quick thought up one liners ever . I said "Go on fuck off you fat **** before I follow you up to the chippy and nick your kebab" Now I don't know if he was going for a kebab but I hope so, he sure is a fat **** and off he peddled hopefully for that kebab. I've not said a word to him in 26 years. I've get the death stares from all his mates at the pub all these years after as well, makes me chuckle everytime.

It has been said repeatedly for years by all opposition football fans that Merseyside Police are a joke. I lived and worked there for seven years and can confirm they are absolutely the worst at controlling crowds. Both football stadiums, especially Goodison, are unsafe (can't believe Woodison even has a safety certificate). The police there couldn't even manage the Tall Ships event FFS.
The League Cup game at Anfield in 1981 was the worst public disorder I have seen. Worse even than full-scale riots I have been caught up in elsewhere. The police in Liverpool are, and always have been, a disgrace.
West Yorkshire Police were right up there with baton wielding thuggery. I've seen them Wade in several times Indiscriminately when we played Leeds regularly in the late 70s to mid 80s.

I'm originally from Clowne just the other side of Chesterfield it's more a lovely Village now than the place I grew up in. I wouldn't swap it for any place though I had a great childhood looking back.For a Village it had a stack of pubs from memory I think 11 just on the main road through the high street. Being from Clowne I was safer walking around moss side than any of the villages near me as they could know by looking at me I wasn't related and didnt have webbed feet like them.

The A6 into manchester had plenty of pubs on route and back then on saturdays nearly everyone would have coach or mini bus parked nearby on saturdays. The signs of "No Coaches" started to become a common theme after they got fed up of the places getting smashed up. It was my main route to games and stopping off for a piss at a pub was always a pause for thought moment when a minibus was parked up. The local lads were sometimes looking for a scrap as well, with my derbyshire accent I was mainly ok but it was the common used asking for the time listening for any accent trick they used.
I used to go to a few Chesterfield games and went to the local away derby against Mansfield with a few lads I got to know. To say they were crazy would not be doing them justice. Unbeknown to me they had a great idea which after a small amount of time I thought was not that great. This great idea was lets battle to the ground by going into all the local pubs on the way upsetting the 6 fingered locals. Now I was always up for a bit of fun but fuck me after 3 pubs and a run I said come on lads lets go for a quiet drink and go watch the game.If you have ever been into the local pubs around mansfield then you would soon know why I thought it wasn't a great idea.Full of rough arsed gurning big ugly would smack you for beathing types and thats the women. I admit always said I was doing my hair or something after that day when they asked if I fancied an away game.Completely bonkers those lads .

I'm in Nottingham now, been here nearly 30 years, I tried but my lad is a forest fan and I've been dragged to a few night games but don't see those rocker types at the ground these days. Some of the old Forest lads use the local near me for their meet ups, I don't go in as bacially they are still arseholes and still give people the death stare. One lives 3 doors from me, I had a little shout off with him just after I moved in.He nearly rode into me on his push bike as I came out my gate, I simply told him to get on the road. He stopped and motioned to get off his bike and I gave one of my best quick thought up one liners ever . I said "Go on fuck off you fat **** before I follow you up to the chippy and nick your kebab" Now I don't know if he was going for a kebab but I hope so, he sure is a fat **** and off he peddled hopefully for that kebab. I've not said a word to him in 26 years. I've get the death stares from all his mates at the pub all these years after as well, makes me chuckle everytime.
I said "Go on fuck off you fat **** before I follow you up to the chippy and nick your kebab"

Absolute pisser: )

Nice one fella. A lot of these so called hard men shit out one to one. Good post btw.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.