House Buying / Selling Thread

I sold my house in 2014 too 1st time buyer for full asking price & managed to get 19.000 off my new house 8%. Up here in Cumbria is right time right place IMO.

I'm looking at buying my first property but houses in the areas we want are going within hours of going on the market, we've seen a house we like that is up for offer over 145K. The estate agent has arranged two open days the first was yesterday which we went to along with probably another 15 interested parties, the other is tomorrow. I'm expecting a flurry of bids to go in mainly by builders / investors as the property is probably worth £190K after somebody spends approx £10K, we want it but estate effectively wants sealed bids for Monday can't decide what to offer, we obviously dont want to miss out on it by putting a low bid in but dont want to overpay! Any advice?
Bid "The highest offer plus £1,000".

Dare I suggest it could've been on with a higher asking price..?

You could with the benefit of hindsight, but three estate agents valued the house at the same price. At a higher price it might have got no viewings at all, who knows. She's happy with what she got so all good.

We sold our house in Feb and moved into our new house 1st week of may. quite surprising how long and how stressful a process it is buying and selling a property and i dont think we will be doing it again!

We bought our 3 bed semi in 2001 for £43,500 and then sold it for £118,00. Our new house (its not a new build) we bought for £145,000. A much bigger 3 bed semi and in a nicer spot which the kids are loving. We had around 65k in Equity so our new mortgage is very manageable, around £400 per month. Halifax were brilliant throughout the process and offered us far more money to lend than the independent financial adviser offered us.

I live in between swansea and cardiff just along the M4 corridor and the housing market seems to be moving in the right direction again. We looked at moving around 4 years ago and our house was only valued at £79,000 back then.

Does it really need pointing out to you that when your previous house was valued at "only £79,000 back then" the house you wanted to move up to would have been equally cheaper than what you've now paid and your mortgage would be even more manageable?

Another example of this moronic attitude towards house price inflation.

Does it really need pointing out to you that when your previous house was valued at "only £79,000 back then" the house you wanted to move up to would have been equally cheaper than what you've now paid and your mortgage would be even more manageable?

It may sound stupid on one level but not when you trade out or downsize, e.g. on retirement.

Every time there is any thread about house buying / landlords you are moaning.
Have you had a bad experience?

He's right though. I'm always baffled by people seeing rising house prices as something positive. Yes, you get more for your property but you also pay more for the new one and have a larger mortgage with more borrowed money to pay interest on.

I appreciate that it's good for some people (i.e. wealthy people and people entering retirement) but it's not good for the majority.

Estate agents love it............money for nothing.

Negotiate your selling commission with estate agents and do not pay what they ask.

Every time there is any thread about house buying / landlords you are moaning.
Have you had a bad experience?

I'm not moaning and I've not had a bad experience, I actually bought my first house in 2001 and its more than trebled in value since then... thing is I'm intelligent enough to realize that unless I intend to sell up and go live in a tent the massive increase in my property value is no benefit what-so-ever to either myself or younger generations looking to buy.

I just can't understand how anyone who is an owner occupier, with only one house to their name, especially if they've got kids, can possibly see rapidly rising house prices as a good thing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.