How do 11 people go to jail for one murder?

Interesting piece from Harry Stopes here (a City fan incidentally, not that it's really relevant):

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...uk-how-do-11-people-go-to-jail-for-one-murder

Very well researched article about the Abdul Wahab Hafidah murder in 2016, and a flaw in the British legal system.
Haven't time to read all of it mate, so I'll make a general statement of opinion, not related to the case.

As far as I am concerned, anyone involved repeatedly kicking an innocent victim whilst they lie helpless on the ground, deserves a long prison sentence. Attacks like this often leave people with life-changing injuries, or even dead. Only total scum do things like this, and if they rot in jail for 30 years, it's fine by me. Whether the charge is "murder" or not, I am not fussed.

Guilty by association. A group chasing 1 man who eventually winds up dead are rightfully implicated in his death.
Mob mentality cannot go unpunished. If the mob were not chasing him and only the guy who eventually stabbed him, then chances are it wouldn't have gone that far (murder). But when there is a posse in tow, he will become either emboldened or compelled by peer pressure to carry out the ultimate punishment.
As far as I am concerned, in for a penny, in for a pound....all Guilty, and 1 guy dead in horrible circumstances.
This law should be 'advertised' more.....give gang members reason to think before they act on impulse.

Admittedly I’m no legal expert, but it doesn’t seem just to me that the 17 year old who was on a bike, and never got off it to join in the attack, gets sent down for manslaughter.

Very disturbing story. Effectively there’s 10 young men in jail for a crime they had little or no involvement in. And the two in Bradford who weren’t even at the scene when the crime was committed. And both trials were decided by juries, who are supposed to be a check and balance against these sorts of miscarriages of justice.

And yet we believe that we’re superior to places like the UAE in terms of their legal system and people being imprisoned without due process.

Guilty by association. A group chasing 1 man who eventually winds up dead are rightfully implicated in his death.
Mob mentality cannot go unpunished. If the mob were not chasing him and only the guy who eventually stabbed him, then chances are it wouldn't have gone that far (murder). But when there is a posse in tow, he will become either emboldened or compelled by peer pressure to carry out the ultimate punishment.
As far as I am concerned, in for a penny, in for a pound....all Guilty, and 1 guy dead in horrible circumstances.
This law should be 'advertised' more.....give gang members reason to think before they act on impulse.
Well said. They’re all black and from Moss Side so they must all be guilty of something.

(Sarcasm alert)

Colour isn't an issue here....don' make it one, even sarcastically.

Apparently it is an issue, though.

Joint enterprise has also come under increasing scrutiny in recent years because of a growing body of academic research that appears to show it is applied disproportionately against black defendants. According to one study, black people are serving time under joint enterprise at 11 times their presence in the population as a whole.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.