how good a player were/are you?

Absolute shite but still played for every team from Primary school through to University. Which tells you something about the standard of the other players around in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Gutted when Graham Taylor left the England job as after Carlton Pogba and Geoff Thomas it was rumoured I was next in line for an England Cap.

Had a few trials at Leeds at 14. Had a successful 2nd trial and had a further 3rd trial arranged with the academy manager at the time, confident i'd make the cut (i'd been invited into discuss future schooling etc). Snapped my ACL in between 2nd and 3rd trial playing for the county U16 team. Got myself back fit at 16 but I found cake, beer and sex soon after. Got back playing for county by 19 but cake, beer and sex had me good. Had to resort to 5 a side whilst I added about 5 stone to my arse. Snapped my other ACL and now at 32 I actually look like cake.

Sometimes wonder what might have been but, work as an IT Manager now on good money so not too bitter, doubt i'd have made it past the academy anyway.

Getting into coaching now and loving it.

im a rare breed in football, a goal keeper! As a skinny tall kid i Always preferred going in goals rather than scoring them for some stupid reason! Had a trial for Luton when i was about 13 but didnt get any further than that.
Played amateur football for a number of years before being "spotted" by Afan Lido (yes i know, WHO??!!) but they were part of the first ever league of wales competition in the early 1990's. i even played a Uefa cup leg against a team from Finland i think it was, cant remember the name. I missed the away leg and we were knocked out on away goals! Played in the semi-pro welsh league for over a decade for a few different clubs and then when my left knee almost gave up the ghost i spent the last few years playing back in the local amateur league. Played until i was almost 40. Now 42, fat and going bald, and happily retired but my knee is in bits!

had some great moments, like scoring a penalty and making some great saves, but also had a few mares like letting a ball go through my legs for a goal and getting ridiculed by a couple of hundred fans for 90 mins! Keepers get some shit aye! ;-)

Had a few trials at Leeds at 14. Had a successful 2nd trial and had a further 3rd trial arranged with the academy manager at the time, confident i'd make the cut (i'd been invited into discuss future schooling etc). Snapped my ACL in between 2nd and 3rd trial playing for the county U16 team. Got myself back fit at 16 but I found cake, beer and sex soon after. Got back playing for county by 19 but cake, beer and sex had me good. Had to resort to 5 a side whilst I added about 5 stone to my arse. Snapped my other ACL and now at 32 I actually look like cake.

Sometimes wonder what might have been but, work as an IT Manager now on good money so not too bitter, doubt i'd have made it past the academy anyway.

Getting into coaching now and loving it.

you did make me smile with this post! sorry to hear about your footballing failures, but a diet of booze, cake and sex isnt a bad second career choice!

The highlight of my playing days were in Primary school were I was basically the best player in every position, unfortunately I had to play in goal most of the time because of this. I did score as the keeper against some poor team though and got plenty of inter-school tournament medals to look back on and pretend I was great.

Highschool my timid nature and lack of height started to hinder me in a world of hoofing giants, I became a tricky forward who pissed about doing tricks and flicks until I got fed up of getting kicked of the pitch after seeing someone break their leg. Done ligament damage to both knees and dont risk playing anymore after recurring injuries. Still like to have a kick about but no more competitive games for me.

Sometimes I look back and wished I hadnt been so timid as I maybe could have done better but guess I would likely still have ruined my knee's either way!

(There might be some degree of nostalgia overrating my youthful self).

In all honesty I was crap but I always used to get picked right the way though to my university team as I was quick and fit. That meant I used to get a game on the wing as I could charge up and down the field all game! I was basically a wing back before wing backs were fashionable.

Better than most kids my age, but nowhere near as good as some of the ones that were better than me.

Nod bad against defences you could draw out as i was fast as fuck and no fucker could get near me, ever. If they came forward and it got knocked back long there was a good chance i'd score. I used to play right back more often than not though due to my recovery speed. I was not great but i had speed and was not greedy, yes i tracked back hard.

Then i discovered women were for more than just pulling their pony tails and it went to shit after that :-D

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.