how good a player were/are you?

Beast of an athlete. Probably played the wrong sport. A little timid in possession but had my strengths. Played some academy in the states. Chose drugs and booze over a lower level college scholarship

Used to play for Bury at youth level.

Witnessed Gary Neville get slapped in the face in the tunnel at Preston North End.

Peaked that day.

Most of my grown up playing days in the west lancs league. Blackrod, dalton etc as close to Manchester teams I played.

At 12 I was Goalkeeper for Greenfield Street Sec modern in Hyde around 1966, and played in the same team as Alan West ex Burnley and Luton Town (captain).

I had the priveledge to play against Colin Bell who even with a gammy leg was imperious,Tommy Booth,Frank Carrodus and other heroes at the Silver wings ground Timperley. I almost slotted the ball past the late Harry Dowd but he moved catlike (for a 13 stone guy) to push my attempt around the post- I was not disappointed.

I had the priveledge to play against Colin Bell who even with a gammy leg was imperious,Tommy Booth,Frank Carrodus and other heroes at the Silver wings ground Timperley. I almost slotted the ball past the late Harry Dowd but he moved catlike (for a 13 stone guy) to push my attempt around the post- I was not disappointed.

Malcolm Allison:-

"Harry was more interested in being a plumber.....The team talk usually consisted of "Harry, tomorrow we are playing Arsenal, they play in red and white"

lol!

Usually played right back when right backs were defenders but too timid to claim that I was way better than the right winger or attacking midfielder as good at looking up and distributing or crossing the ball. Absolutely shite at dribbling as coached to get rid of it from RB. Highlight of career was chipping the goalie from 35 yards for our works team's first ever goal after eight defeats from when we entered our league.

Repeated the event in a dads v lads game with lower crossbar against a 14 year old.

Would have made a good ball playing keeper before Pep demanded it (hockey too) but only played there when at Polytechnic on windswept mudbaths.

More effective at frightening the shite out of batsmen in my day as an opening bowler due to height and accuracy. Can't bat for toffee.

On reflection was decidedly average, decent in a poor man's cricket team.

Last edited:
Had a few trials at Leeds at 14. Had a successful 2nd trial and had a further 3rd trial arranged with the academy manager at the time, confident i'd make the cut (i'd been invited into discuss future schooling etc). Snapped my ACL in between 2nd and 3rd trial playing for the county U16 team. Got myself back fit at 16 but I found cake, beer and sex soon after. Got back playing for county by 19 but cake, beer and sex had me good. Had to resort to 5 a side whilst I added about 5 stone to my arse. Snapped my other ACL and now at 32 I actually look like cake.

Sometimes wonder what might have been but, work as an IT Manager now on good money so not too bitter, doubt i'd have made it past the academy anyway.

Getting into coaching now and loving it.
The conclusion to this post has some echoes with my nephew. Youth team captain at QPR, moved to Yeovil (and made one appearance as a sub) then to Crewe, who loaned him out to Witton Albion. He never made it, and in truth he can't have been quite good enough, but if he'd carved a career out at Yeovil or Crewe he'd be on pretty shit money. He was pretty down about it at the time; my dad (who'd always tried to push him on) was devasted. My nephew said that football was full of bullshitters (which I expect is correct) but he was pretty philosophical about it in the main. He's now got a great (and very well paid) job in PR in London, plays non-league and semi-pro for Fisher Athletic and earns a bit on the side doing body doubles for sports stars in promotional videos. He did Jesus Navas a few months ago - said he never spoke a word of English and had an interpreter who translated everything :-/

He's loving life - and so he fucking should. It's always great to see someone bounce back from taking a knock in life.

At 12 I was Goalkeeper for Greenfield Street Sec modern in Hyde around 1966, and played in the same team as Alan West ex Burnley and Luton Town (captain).

I went to Greenfield Street form 69-71 then moved to Hattersley and played for Arundale school, we played in United's Kit ;-( as the headmaster was a rabid rag, I went back and played Greenfield Street in 1971 and we beat em 18-0 happy days..!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.