How Good Was The 2002 World Cup In Hindsight?

Malty

A bunch of legendary players in their prime, Brazilian Ronaldo at his peak..

I loved the atmosphere and feel of the tournament too, there was a certain naivety before football became the digital social media age with Facebook, Twitter and all that which in my opinion hasn't enhanced the game.

I really enjoyed the final, I felt sorry for Khan but at the same time very happy for Ronaldo who I think got unfair stick in 98. I think he wanted to prove everybody wrong in 2002. It's funny as Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo don't get as much pressure going into a big tournament as the real Ronaldo did

I still prefer Italia 90 (not many goals but a superb tournament) and world cup 98. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was either Korea or Japan that had a really suspicious game against Italy in 2002 that finally convinced the naive me that something is not always right in football. I can't exactly remember what happened but it was a joke, a few years later Italy got their own back with Grosso V Australia which was another joke in the game!

absolutely loved that world cup. i was in college at the time and they had a massive screen in the canteen. turn up for breakfast and end up sacking the days lessons off with multiple fry ups. football in the morning was such a novelty

You mean other than the blatant corruption in doing everything possible to get the South Koreans to the final?

I still prefer Italia 90 (not many goals but a superb tournament) and world cup 98. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was either Korea or Japan that had a really suspicious game against Italy in 2002 that finally convinced the naive me that something is not always right in football. I can't exactly remember what happened but it was a joke, a few years later Italy got their own back with Grosso V Australia which was another joke in the game!
It was Korea. And it wasn't just against Italy either. Portugal and Spain both had cause for complaint too.

Bit dramatic, but you get the point:

FIFA appointed inexperienced referees from smaller countries rather than the best man for the job, and then blatantly told them who they wanted to win. One of the referees was banned 2 years later for match fixing and later caught trying to smuggle heroin into the USA. A real FIFA man.

It's funny as Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo don't get as much pressure going into a big tournament as the real Ronaldo did
Probably because neither of them were playing in a world cup for the defending champions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.