How good were Pink Floyd?

As musicians, pretty average, instrumentally Gilmour was the most talented

They usually had a bunch of very talented session musicians on stage on theyre big tours

Lucky for them they had 2 great writers, first Barrett the Waters

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Depends how good your drugs were

You could actually watch them clean and I saw them twice back in the day 1977, and 1980 in such a state.

Now if you were on LSD or other such substances you probably got an enhanced performance I don't know, but as the program stated "Their will be enough explosions to blow your mind".

The first time I ever saw laser beams used at a live gig, plus a plane crashing into the stage, an inflatable pig that blew up and quadrophonic sound with six huge speaker stacks. You didn't need drugs to blow your mind trust me.

Pink Floyd live at Stafford Bingley Hall 30-03-1977 was the greatest and best gig I've ever seen and I've seen a few including Oasis 15 times!!!

Listening to Dark Side of The Moon, wish You Were Here and Animals as a kid, I didn't need drugs, in fact maybe I started smoking weed to emulate the state of being I became listening to Floyd with a big set of headphones on my old piece of shit turntable. Still one of top three bands ever IMO

Phenomenal. Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and The Wall - 3 albums of the highest calibre. Whilst not that great vocally, in David Gilmour they had a wonderful lead guitarist, Richard Wright had an ear for adding some great harmony and melodies, Nick Mason was decent with the sticks and of course the catalyst was the craftsmanship, timing and creative talent of Roger Waters. The internal turmoil and rage in and around them just added to the dramatic tension that enveloped the band from the moment when they abandoned their best friend and founder in pursuit of material success.

-nibz- said:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMrhRqK4iig[/video]

As I said on this video on the OP has several unknown session musicians, not Nick Mason on Drums and another keyboard player as well as Rick Wright, not Roger Waters on Bass and 2 other guitarists

Pink Floyd as a band could never play as good as these, Gilmour just playing his usual Blues scale (which he is good at), and they always needed 3 girly singers on the 'harder to sing' songs

Probably the most overrated band ever, at least other huge bands like Led Zep, Yes, Deep Purple could actually play theyre music without help.

I once heard Roger Waters say that they developed the stage theatrics like laser shows and blow up pigs and aeroplanes etc to disguise the fact that they were a pretty shit band who sang out of tune.

Still, the dope heads dug them

I dont hate them or anything, I thought DSOTM was a great album, its just I dont think theyre great musicians, if you saw them play on theyre own without all the support guys and huge stage show anybody with half a brain would realise this

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Depends how good your drugs were

You could actually watch them clean and I saw them twice back in the day 1977, and 1980 in such a state.

Now if you were on LSD or other such substances you probably got an enhanced performance I don't know, but as the program stated "Their will be enough explosions to blow your mind".

The first time I ever saw laser beams used at a live gig, plus a plane crashing into the stage, an inflatable pig that blew up and quadrophonic sound with six huge speaker stacks. You didn't need drugs to blow your mind trust me.

Pink Floyd live at Stafford Bingley Hall 30-03-1977 was the greatest and best gig I've ever seen and I've seen a few including Oasis 15 times!!!

I can't tell you how much it infuriates me that someone would even mention that average pub rock band in the same breath as Pink Floyd. Absolutely staggering. Were Pink Floyd even better than Shed Seven too?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.