How good were Pink Floyd?

I was at that gig at Bingley Hall. Drove from Manchester in a 1965 Hillman Imp I had just bought. Thought it was 30 minutes down the road....just made it in time. Brilliant night.

A cattle auction shed wasnt it, Bingley Hall?
- an odd hay/grass aroma in the hall was there? ;-)

Could never quite get my head round Pink Floyd, much the same with Yes and I have tried, really tried and have several albums from both. So, I reckon it's an emporers new clothes syndrome. Enough people say they're brilliant, like with Yes, so more people are convinced they are and so the cycle continues. A bit like those muppets from Old Trafford.

On a tangential note, I have a lot of time for Fish ex of Marillion as a lyricist, and I enjoy both his band and solo work. However I met him once and was somewhat underwhelmed, so I think you may have a point.
Never meet your 'heroes' ;-)

Agree with your ranking of his solo work btw. I can recall stubbornly travelling down to Wembley Arena to see Waters on his only K show of the Kaos tour, and deliberately passing on the chance to see the Gilmour-led Floyd who were touring at the same time playing much bigger venues (like Maine Road) - all because I "sided" with Waters. In retrospect I should've gone to both gigs!

You should have.

Could never quite get my head round Pink Floyd, much the same with Yes and I have tried, really tried and have several albums from both. So, I reckon it's an emporers new clothes syndrome. Enough people say they're brilliant, like with Yes, so more people are convinced they are and so the cycle continues. A bit like those muppets from Old Trafford.

No, it's not like that at all. Yes were brilliant, an immense band at their peak. I prefer them to Floyd but not a lot in it. However, they prog rock bands and that, understandably, won't be everyone's cup of tea. (No idea if you like any prog rock.)

Not derailing as I ain't no Casey Jones.

Nearly fifty years of progressive happiness with Yes Mr Boot.
Music without yes is akin to a football match without the football. A pub without the beer : /

This track is very early 1969 'ish from Time And A Word.
Dear Father.Beautiful track

This track is also late sixties and in it's purest form is enlightenment and enchantement atoms colliding together in a hadron partical machine and rendering us all utterly helpless.Then ...This was their swan song and boy did they fly.

Cutted and pasted
Yes are one of the most successful, influential, and longest-lasting progressive rock bands.
They have sold 13.5 million albums in the US.In 1985, they won a gramy award for best rock instrument performance with "Cinema", and received five Grammy nominations between 1985 and 1992.
They were ranked No. 94 on 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock.
Yes have headlined annual progressive rock-themed cruises since 2013 named Cruise to the Edge.
Their discography spans 21 studio albums.

In April 2017, Yes were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which chose to specifically bestow the honour upon current and former members Anderson, Squire, Bruford, Kaye, Howe, rick wakeman White and Rabin.

My favourite Floyd song.
Great gig in the sky from the the Dark side of thE Moon.
Brilliant composition and utterly timeless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Have you tried with the 90125 album from Yes? I'd much recommend it over the 70s era stuff as an entry point. The shimmering production job from Trevor Horn is the icing on the cake, and it still sounds incredible today

Have you tried with the 90125 album from Yes? I'd much recommend it over the 70s era stuff as an entry point. The shimmering production job from Trevor Horn is the icing on the cake, and it still sounds incredible today

One of the greatest production jobs ever, which just enhance some cracking songs. Almost an AOR album, thanks to Trevor Rabin's influence.

One of the greatest production jobs ever, which just enhance some cracking songs. Almost an AOR album, thanks to Trevor Rabin's influence.

100% pal, 100%. The ARW shows earlier in the year were pretty special too btw

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.