How good were Pink Floyd?

Not for me you can still prog rock where the sun don't shine far to anal for me.

Mike D said:
Not for me you can still prog rock where the sun don't shine far to anal for me.
Me too. Although the very early singles before they started having to use visual stunts to pad out their shows, were excellent.
'Arnold Lane' is a brilliant song.

Ancient Citizen said:
Mike D said:
Me too. Although the very early singles before they started having to use visual stunts to pad out their shows, were excellent.
'Arnold Lane' is a brilliant song.

agreed mate they were a great little psych band in the 60's, See Emily Play was great, Syd was the man.

David Gilmour is a fantastic guitarist. There are many others out there who may be faster etc, but there are few that even come close to his level of expressiveness.

Richard Wright was a talented musician. I don't think you could say he was one of the greatest technically, but he had a fantastic understanding of harmony and knew exactly what was needed. The end of Shine on You Crazy Diamond is a good example of the dramatic tension he could bring to a piece.

Nick Mason never really shone for me as a live performer, but he wasn't bad. He did the job and no doubt also contributed a lot in the creative process in the studio.

Roger Waters is a shite bass player, however, he more than makes up for it with his song writing abilities, as well as his creativity in his experimentation with unusual recording techniques and early synthesisers.

The important thing is the end result. Pink Floyd created a lot of self-indulgent shite, but the likes of Darr Side, Wish You Were Here, the Wall etc. were masterpieces. If I wanted to listen to people purely for their musical talent, there are plenty of videos of people fret-wanking on YouTube.

Stuuuuuu makes a good point about Oasis - pub rock is pretty accurate in my opinion. There's no end of love on here for them, but nobody ever complains that as musicians, they are average at best.

Nimrod - your point about 'unknown' session musicians - that was a David Gimour solo performance - not a Pink Floyd one. The session musicians are all credited and all selected for their musical ability. The drummer (Steve DiStanislao) was working with Crosby Stills & Nash, and David Gilmour said he was 'too good not to nick'. The other keyboard player is John Carin, who has worked with post-Waters Pink Floyd and both David Gilmour on recordings and tours for many years and also with Roger Waters as part of his touring band. He has also worked with the likes of Bryan Ferry, Pete Townsend and The Who, and Kate Bush. The sax player is Dick Parry, who performed on Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and the Division Bell, and was a member of Joker's Wild with Gilmour before Pink Floyd. The bass player is Guy Pratt, who has worked with Pink Floyd since Roger Waters departed. The other guitarist should need no introduction - it's Phil Manzanera.

If you were in Gilmour's shoes, and you were embarking on a world tour, where you are performing your new album in its entirety, along with old favourites off DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall, you cannot do it on your own and you are not going to play along with a backing tape. Would you carefully select some of the world's best musicians, or would you ring John from the Nag's Head to see if he's got his bass back from Cash Converters yet?

Absolutely amazing band. Not done anything good since '79, but there aren't many bands that are relevant across decades. (Apart from maybe Bowie) Gilmour is in the top five guitarists.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.