How good were Pink Floyd?

Musicianship isn't everything ..... I just personally, find them dull whiney and shite ..... and the 'spectacular' stage shows were to keep the punters awake.....

1961_vintage said:
nimrod said:
As musicians, pretty average, instrumentally Gilmour was the most talented

They usually had a bunch of very talented session musicians on stage on theyre big tours

I don't really get this, especially as you are a musician yourself.

If a band spends a year creating an album in the studio using all of the technology available to produce something that is complex, multi-tracked and multi-layered, it stands to reason that to take that and re-produce it on the road would need elements of it to be either pre-recorded or, if not, to be performed by the band supplemented by additional musicians. This latter option to me seems a far more honest approach?

So I just don 't understand your inferred criticism that to do so is a reflection of their ability as "pretty average" musicians.

Why cant anybody on here have an opinion without somebody getting whiney ffs?

These extra guys dont play trumpets or cello's they play drums & Bass & keyboards and they do vocals and when they play DSOTM they DO use lots of backing tapes and sequenced parts.

I have seen PF 3 times live, I have all theyre albums, I have about 12 bootlegs of theyre concerts I have Pompei both DVd & as a live album, I am a fan, but you have to accept they are average musicians, why does this upset people, its a fact, have you heard Eloy ? (The German Pink Floyd) I have also been a fan of theirs for 20 years I have all theyre albums, most of them are better than PF's and the standard of musicianship is higher.

If you think these guys are musical gods....fine! carry on............. to me they are average, they learnt theyre parts for theyre records and thats what they play, what they are very good at is writing (well Waters & Barrett were) Gilmour is a decent guitarist but to call him elite as somebody did is laughable. I have seen hundreds of live guitarists in my long life and he would come about two thirds up the list.

I repeat if you or anybody else thinks they are great musicians and in fact elite musicians then by all means carry on thinking that.

nimrod said:
If you think these guys are musical gods....fine! carry on.
I repeat if you or anybody else thinks they are great musicians and in fact elite musicians then by all means carry on thinking that.

Can't see anything in my reply that is "whiney" so don't be such a precious prick. Equally I don't think they are "musical gods", "great musicians" and/or "elite musicians". The very idea is laughable - I'm an adult not a fucking fan-boy. And therefore my question to you was an adult one - in that you seemed to be connecting the need to use additional musicians for their live performances as a reflection on their ability as musicians. But seriously - please don't bother trying to explain if being asked pisses you off as it really is not that important to me.

I love the fact that punk failed in every aspiration both musically and politically. Was just a vehicle for frustrated middle class white boys to vent their spleen.
Huge PF fan. Gifted musicians or not they were always more than the sum of their parts. They were studio gurus who needed supplementing on stage. When they were good they were amazing. Not many bands can notch up at least 4 classic albums in a row. They have their fare share of Turkeys as well but on form no one was better.

1961_vintage said:
nimrod said:
If you think these guys are musical gods....fine! carry on.

Can't see anything in my reply that is "whiney" so don't be such a precious prick. Equally I don't think they are "musical gods", "great musicians" and/or "elite musicians". The very idea is laughable - I'm an adult not a fucking fan-boy. And therefore my question to you was an adult one - in that you seemed to be connecting the need to use additional musicians for their live performances as a reflection on their ability as musicians. But seriously - please don't bother trying to explain if being asked pisses you off as it really is not that important to me.

no need for the personal abuse mate, Im a **** not a prick

Hart of the matter said:
I love the fact that punk failed in every aspiration both musically and politically. Was just a vehicle for frustrated middle class white boys to vent their spleen.
Huge PF fan. Gifted musicians or not they were always more than the sum of their parts. They were studio gurus who needed supplementing on stage. When they were good they were amazing. Not many bands can notch up at least 4 classic albums in a row. They have their fare share of Turkeys as well but on form no one was better.

Punk didnt fail mate

and many bands were better

Hey - who would have thought that a Pink Floyd thread would end up resembling the Ched Evans thread?

Keep going fellas - I was wondering how I would occupy my time over the Xmas break but looks like this thread might just do the trick.

Just don't fucking knock Porcupine Tree or I'll have your balls you bunch of c**ts.

chabal said:
Hey - who would have thought that a Pink Floyd thread would end up resembling the Ched Evans thread?

Keep going fellas - I was wondering how I would occupy my time over the Xmas break but looks like this thread might just do the trick.

Just don't fucking knock Porcupine Tree or I'll have your balls you bunch of c**ts.

Pink Floyd are the greatest band ever and Dave is the best guitarist in the friggin world end of thread

thats fucked you up chantal

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.