How long until video appeals are introduced?

taleofbluehalves

So I think this is a separate thread from the referee decisions one.
Cricket, rugby and tennis already have video appeals as part of the game.

It’s fair to say the game has got faster, players do dive in the box and referees do struggle to get key decisions correct.

We have had 2 really poor penalty decisions against us recently that could have cost us 3 points and a semi final place.

How long will it be before video appeals are introduced in a game?I’d suggest it can happen once the game has been stopped for a goal, or penalty. I don’t have all the answers but I really think the ability
to appeal 1 decision per side per game would help referees to get things right.

Do you agree? Will it happen? How should it work?

Can't see it NOT happening, but the FA will delay for as long as possible.
Too many of their favoured clubs would lose out (Rags getting pen appeals turned down, when opposition managers contest decisions, etc)

I want independent time keepers, too. All this injury time guesswork is taking the piss

Can't see it NOT happening, but the FA will delay for as long as possible.
Too many of their favoured clubs would lose out (Rags getting pen appeals turned down, when opposition managers contest decisions, etc)

I want independent time keepers, too. All this injury time guesswork is taking the piss
Yeah I’d agree added time is very random. I think it’ll happen in the next 2 years.

So I think this is a separate thread from the referee decisions one.
Cricket, rugby and tennis already have video appeals as part of the game.

It’s fair to say the game has got faster, players do dive in the box and referees do struggle to get key decisions correct.

We have had 2 really poor penalty decisions against us recently that could have cost us 3 points and a semi final place.

How long will it be before video appeals are introduced in a game?I’d suggest it can happen once the game has been stopped for a goal, or penalty. I don’t have all the answers but I really think the ability
to appeal 1 decision per side per game would help referees to get things right.

Do you agree? Will it happen? How should it work?

You can install all measures that are currently available to other sports, but those who 'govern' football are total reactionaries when it comes to this game learning from others. It is the classic Victorian approach that nothing can be imported that is better than we have got, and when the weight of opinion is too heavy for them we will get the usual fudge that makes things work. In every other sport, VAR seems to be an end to any dispute - tennis, rugby, cricket - but I can see so many instances in football where the spectator will be left with What! How have you worked that one out! I despair that currently the people at the governing end of this sport will have the vision to adopt a system that improves the game, where results reflect what has actually happened on the pitch, and where the scoundrels, cheats and thugs are banned!

Has to come in . Too much money involved nowadays. They cant take the money and let the result be so random as to one man deciding things.

Problem is people won’t allow teething issues - look at the retrospective diving punishment, I think it’s a great idea, a panel review a dive and the player gets punished - but soon as it happens to one of your own the panel and the system gets absoulute belters - Lanzini for my team for example, he dived. Pure and simple and got a couple match bans. I’m glad he did. But West Ham fans were in uproar ‘FA is corrupt’ ‘this review system is bollox and doesn’t work’ ‘what about so and so diving for so and so, it’s corrupt!’
Can only imagine what it will be like in years to come when they try to introduce fairer systems to help the refs and the painful process of getting it spot on - everyone demands VR straight away with little thought how difficult it will be to get it right.

Problem is people won’t allow teething issues - look at the retrospective diving punishment, I think it’s a great idea, a panel review a dive and the player gets punished - but soon as it happens to one of your own the panel and the system gets absoulute belters - Lanzini for my team for example, he dived. Pure and simple and got a couple match bans. I’m glad he did. But West Ham fans were in uproar ‘FA is corrupt’ ‘this review system is bollox and doesn’t work’ ‘what about so and so diving for so and so, it’s corrupt!’
Can only imagine what it will be like in years to come when they try to introduce fairer systems to help the refs and the painful process of getting it spot on - everyone demands VR straight away with little thought how difficult it will be to get it right.

The system should have been in place years ago, but vested interests carried the day. I think that there are four areas where it has been absolutely necessary and should have been part and parcel of the game from the moment you could plug in a machine and use it to see what actually happened, and to see incidents from a number of angles. The ref should be using VAR to ask the following questions - first, has a goal been legitimately scored or not, two, do I award a penalty or book someone for simulation or decide it's what Crappenberg would call 'coming together' and what the rest of us would say is normal contact in a contact sport, three, do I give a mandatory caution as prescribed by the Laws of the Game, four, do I issue a mandatory red card for what the LotG prescribe. It ain't fuckin' rocket science, and we would have a second chance at getting things right, not always, because those who govern the game might decide on a level of arbitration for VAR that makes the system so complex and open to interpretation that the LotG never included, but it would be infinitely better than some of the shit we are getting now.

Cant stand VAR in italy or germany. So many issues with it currently. How far back do you bring the play? For what decisions should it be used for? Should every goal be reviewed?

Personally I agree with Inzaghis recent comments about it, it will take out a lot of emotion from the sport. Personally I dont think proponents of it in this country have really thought through the negative aspects of it. They just think ‘hey technology no more bad decisions’.

Also i wish people would stop bring up cricket or Rugby into this didcussion. Their completely different sports.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.