How this summer's transfers have actually cost us nothing

Of course every club will do this but have you seen any press reports saying something like "City have spent big but they'll recoup that through wage savings and player sales in the longer term"? Me neither.

Five players were out of contract. Kolarov & Nolito have already gone with Fernando & Iheanacho not far behind. Yaya has taken a wage cut (& I'd guess that could be as much as £50k a week) and Hart is effectively off the wage bill. Bony could well be on his way and I'm assuming we'll also sell Nasri & Mangala. So that's possibly 13 off the wage bill plus Yaya's cut, with 6 coming in. And of those Walker will have been on the biggest money at his old club and that won't have been more than £60k I bet.

We're also not paying what we paid people like Nasri & Clichy in the boom years of 2010-11, when we were paying top whack for anyone decent. So I don't think the comparison is unreasonable.

Hi PB, how do we treat homegrown ?
In other words is their value on the books zero then do we simply take any sale as complete profit or maybe we set a token depreciation value over the same period perhaps for tax purposes ?

Wasn't there a change a few years back to switch towards lower basic wage with higher bonuses? That would also mean new players aren't on the very willy money, and would also tie in with Toure taking a cut in signing his new contract.
There was. I heard a figure of £70k basic for the top earners but higher bonuses. I'd guess that's why our wage bill is lower than Liverpool's.

There was. I heard a figure of £70k basic for the top earners but higher bonuses. I'd guess that's why our wage bill is lower than Liverpool's.

Cheers, I thought that had happened. 70k sounds much lower than I'd have expected.
It's surprising that the mass media haven't ever commented on this though when noting that our wage bill is lower than others - you;d think it would be added to their "ah but..." reasons.

No this isn't one of those stupid rag type calculations where they work out shirt sales and all that crap.

Been running a few figures following on from a comment in the Balance Sheet thread but think this is important enough to warrant its own thread.

There's been much wailing and gnashing of teeth over our spending this summer naturally but no one has looked at the bigger picture.

We've so far brought in 6 players (including Luiz) who've cost us around £215m. Over the next 5 years they'll probably cost us around £100m in wages, meaning the 5 year cost will be £315m.

But we've also lost or will be losing loads of players off the wage bill and have got/will be getting fees for some of them where they're still under contract. I reckon we'll have reduced the wage bill by something like £45m a year, which is £225m over the same 5 year period.

The fees for these players (plus Mooy, Zuculini, Unal etc) should easily exceed £100m, meaning that our overall gain over 5 years is at least £325m from cash in and wage savings. So over a 5 year period these players have had no net impact in cash terms.
We wouldn't have extended the contracts at the same salary for the likes of Zaba for the next five years though, so it doesn't really work out like that

We wouldn't have extended the contracts at the same salary for the likes of Zaba for the next five years though, so it doesn't really work out like that
The point (again) is that we stopped paying it which releases financial capacity for new signings without needing additional money.

We stopped paying Zab et al and are paying that money, or part of it, to someone else.

Do you know roughly how much of the bonus money is "easy money" (eg appearence money) rather than the sort they'd only get if we swept the board? For example how much, very roughly, would someone like Silva have earned in last year's trophyless season? I'm guessing it would be nearer to £150k than £70k otherwise I doubt that he would have signed the contract. How much would Walker realistically expect to earn at City in an average season?

F**k everyone else they would gladly trade owners with us, jealous pricks. We can ruin football and collect trophies at the same time. Let the old guard decline their invites to the champions league because they can't compete with the almighty Blues.

No way Sanchez comes here on a £70k basic wage unless the bonuses are met by things like breathing, having a first name beggining with A and taking his dogs for a walk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.