How to set up a wireless network (using wireless router)

shadygiz

This is based on using a netgear router
it's dead easy setting up the wireless network....open up your internet explorer and type your router ip address, this should be on the bottom of the router on a label (i.e. 192.168.0.1), it will ask for a user name/password, which as default are usually admin (user name) & password (password)...again, check the bottom of your router to see if they are on a label...this will now log into your router set up.

on the left hand menu, click on wireless settings (under setup)..this opens up another screen, like this >>>>

at the top, change the network Name (SSID) to say something like "Home Wireless", this is the name of your network and when you search for your network in the future you can find it easier.

Enable wirelss access needs to be ticked (this turns the wireless on/off) & broadcast name needs to be ticked (this is so it will show the name of your network, i.e. Home Wireless).

Now make sure WEP is ticked in the security settings

and in the bottom section, make sure authentication type is automatic and encryption strength is set to 128bit....

now you can either click generate key (make sure you make a note of this as you will need it for the wireless setup) or in key 1 section you can enter your own key. (i.e. 1234567890abcdefg1234567890)

Now click save/apply.

now on your PC open up a C: command prompt box (start>>all programs>>accessories>>command prompt) and type in the following after the prompt

ipconfig /all

as shown here >>

and push enter

this will now show details for all your ip connections...you need to look down the list for one that says wireless or wi-fi connection...then look for the PHYSICAL ADDRESS...this is the mac address for your wireless connection in your pc...
as shown here >>>

write down the mac address (i.e 00-1E-2D-54-26)

Now you can close the command prompt window

Now go back to your PC and the router page as shown in the first piccie above and click setup access list....this will now open up the mac address set up list...make sure turn access control on is ticked at top of page
as shown here>>>

with most wireless routers it should have already scanned for a wireless network and added the mac addresses of all available connections (these will be listed under available wireless stations)...check to see if your mac address you wrote down is one of the mac addresses found, if so click the box at the side of the mac address and then click add...then click apply at the bottom of the page
you can also add you mac address manually in the section below (add new station manually)...again click apply at the bottom of the page

now you can close your router set up web page

Now on your pc, search for available wireless networks and it should find one called "Home Wireless" (or whatever you called it in the router setup)...click connect and when it asks for a network passkey...enter the one you again had in the router setup (i.e. 1234567890abcdefg1234567890)

if it asks you to remember the settings, click yes so you dont have to reconnect and enter passkey everytime.

With some routers, i.e. BT routers the key is already set and is written on a label underneath the router....with these types you simply connect the router to the net and turn wireless on...then search for network through your PC/Console, when it finds it and asks for a key...just enter the key on the bottom of the router[/quote]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.