Huddersfield(A) Post Match Thread

Town fan of many years standing here, first game in August 1963, so aside from our 1st top flight spell of 2 seasons in the early 70's, it's been a long time coming again. I have to say it was remarkable we even competed in The Championship last season on our budget, and now even more remarkable we are where we are now in the Premier League. It's a long, hard season though, more so when player resources get stretched and we're only at November.

I have to admit being a little taken aback by some of the disparaging remarks on here about our club, do you honestly think we would just turn up, take your lot on at proper football, give a few polite rounds of applause at your superiority, then depart for home creaming over what we have just witnessed. No, of course not. That approach is not in our spirit, and nor should it be. Wagner and his team are here to at least attempt to win every match, and obviously against differing opposition that will take on many guises. Against some we will, and do, attempt to play an open, expansive game. To attempt that against City would have been absolute suicide. I don't think it escapes you, if it does you are truly spoilt these days, but you have one of the top 5 sides not just in this country, or Europe, but the whole planet !

I appreciate, and I know from our forum, a lot of HTFC fans have been full of praise this season for the way you are tearing up this league. Not many realistically expected anything other than a thumping on Sunday, so one thing we are not by any means is deluded. You will probably win the PL title at a canter as it looks now, and if it happens deservedly so. All I would hope is you win it with a little bit of humility, and perhaps a nod towards certain other clubs who are doing their damndest to compete, against all odds it seems sometimes. I was proud of the performance we put in against you, and take out the clapper thing if you want, but our fans are playing a huge part at home ( and away by all accounts according to opposing supporters though unfortunately Palace aside it's mostly been a case of singing our way to another defeat, that must improve ). However we sit 11th on 15 points from 13 games. We can't be that hopeless as some are trying to imply.

I have never had an issue with Manchester City as a club, good luck to you especially in the CL, about time we had an English winner again, don't see why you can't this time.
Most of the disparaging remarks made by blues have been off the back of comments made by your fans on your own forum.
I doubt many of us have any axe to grind with your club and wish you well in the future.

Town fan of many years standing here, first game in August 1963, so aside from our 1st top flight spell of 2 seasons in the early 70's, it's been a long time coming again. I have to say it was remarkable we even competed in The Championship last season on our budget, and now even more remarkable we are where we are now in the Premier League. It's a long, hard season though, more so when player resources get stretched and we're only at November.

I have to admit being a little taken aback by some of the disparaging remarks on here about our club, do you honestly think we would just turn up, take your lot on at proper football, give a few polite rounds of applause at your superiority, then depart for home creaming over what we have just witnessed. No, of course not. That approach is not in our spirit, and nor should it be. Wagner and his team are here to at least attempt to win every match, and obviously against differing opposition that will take on many guises. Against some we will, and do, attempt to play an open, expansive game. To attempt that against City would have been absolute suicide. I don't think it escapes you, if it does you are truly spoilt these days, but you have one of the top 5 sides not just in this country, or Europe, but the whole planet !

I appreciate, and I know from our forum, a lot of HTFC fans have been full of praise this season for the way you are tearing up this league. Not many realistically expected anything other than a thumping on Sunday, so one thing we are not by any means is deluded. You will probably win the PL title at a canter as it looks now, and if it happens deservedly so. All I would hope is you win it with a little bit of humility, and perhaps a nod towards certain other clubs who are doing their damndest to compete, against all odds it seems sometimes. I was proud of the performance we put in against you, and take out the clapper thing if you want, but our fans are playing a huge part at home ( and away by all accounts according to opposing supporters though unfortunately Palace aside it's mostly been a case of singing our way to another defeat, that must improve ). However we sit 11th on 15 points from 13 games. We can't be that hopeless as some are trying to imply.

I have never had an issue with Manchester City as a club, good luck to you especially in the CL, about time we had an English winner again, don't see why you can't this time.
Well said. Thanks for taking the time and good luck to you and the club for the season

You will find plenty of humility among City's support and MCFC are a club that leads by example on that front. I have not seen much evidence of other so called big clubs' supporters being more humble than City's. One thing you can be sure of is that we will stick up for ourselves and what you have seen from our supporters is a reaction to things that happened at the weekend rather than our supporters constantly having their noses in the air.

We've been shit and we know we have; some of our supporters still can't bring themselves to believe we are as good as all our record breaking run suggests.

I don't personally have an issue with HTFC or its supporters but I couldn't go to the game and I have not looked at your forum. I wouldn't call your team hopeless either but I have seen plenty of promoted teams make a decent start and plummet. I don't do predictions and I have not seen a lot of your team, aside from the three games against us this year but I think you will do very well if you can avoid a relegation fight. Crystal Palace, for instance, have more quality that you and have time to close a 7 point gap. You are not scoring goals; although you are doing OK defensively but you will need to up your strike rate if you do not want to end up in the bottom three.

You might feel differently if you had been born and raised in somewhere like the South West of England. I assure you in such parts supporting a PL team first and foremost, and your local lower league team second is pretty much standard fare. It’s not an exclusive thing though as there are also plenty of fans who do it the other way round and support the local team first and the PL team second, Mark Hodkinson who wrote Down Among the Dead Men being a good example, but I’d contend they’re a minority. The salient point though is that they feel genuinely connected to two different teams. I personally have never found that conflictive as City and Exeter have moved in completely different circles my entire life. The Forest example you cite is definitely more curious however, if only given their own relative size as a club.
Whatever, I’m surprised you find it quite so surprising though. I would imagine that almost everyone who goes to Bury, Rochdale and Stockport, also has an affinity for either City or United too, in whichever order. Geographical proximity means chuff all when it comes to supporting a football team, and as long as we aren’t talking about passing fancy merchants, the genuine passion of out of town Blues would match that of any Manchester based Blue in my experience. I can understand that seeming strange to anyone born in Manchester, but it’s reality. I’ve supported City since I was 4 years old, I first got to see them play live in 1974 and I’m in my 35th season of going home and away. I might not be in the Sean Riley or Pete the Badge category, but they are the closest thing I will ever have to a religion
I don't know if I would feel different in truth. I love City because they're my local club, not because they were any good. I can genuinely say if I was born in South London, I'd probably support Palace, Charlton or Millwall before I skipped to the other side of the water to support Arsenal or Spurs. It's about having total local pride.

I love my City more than any other. I love our people more than any other & I'd battle to the last for Manchester. However, if I supported Arsenal I couldn't give my all to London the way I could to Manchester.

That is what it means to support your local club, City, town or hamlet. I mean they say home is where your heart is, so for you is that Manchester or Exeter?

I don't know if I would feel different in truth. I love City because they're my local club, not because they were any good. I can genuinely say if I was born in South London, I'd probably support Palace, Charlton or Millwall before I skipped to the other side of the water to support Arsenal or Spurs. It's about having total local pride.

I love my City more than any other. I love our people more than any other & I'd battle to the last for Manchester. However, if I supported Arsenal I couldn't give my all to London the way I could to Manchester.

That is what it means to support your local club, City, town or hamlet. I mean they say home is where your heart is, so for you is that Manchester or Exeter?

I don’t see how you can pontificate about something you have no experience of, and if you think supporting City was a glory call for me you are sorely mistaken! And I’m a West Country boy, born and bred. I haven’t lived there for donkey’s years, but it will always be the place I regard as home. If you think that somehow diminishes my love of my football club down to a level below yours, well good luck with that!

Very balanced and valid points. I have to say that watching the match it felt like Huddersfield completed more than 37 passes in the second half. Earlier in the season Huddersfield would have attacked more, but the experience in the Spurs game has probably had some lasting effect. I don't want to be negative, but the better Wagner does, the more likely it is that a bigger club will come along to lure him away at some point, especially if he keeps things going beyond this season. Dyche has reached that high point where he truly deserves a bigger job. As for us, we've had some truly dark days (sorry decades) and are enjoying the ride to the top. No guarantees as to how far we'll go - and I don't want to tempt fate.

I don’t see how you can pontificate about something you have no experience of, and if you think supporting City was a glory call for me you are sorely mistaken! And I’m a West Country boy, born and bred. I haven’t lived there for donkey’s years, but it will always be the place I regard as home. If you think that somehow diminishes my love of my football club down to a level below yours, well good luck with that!
I honestly mean no offence with what I said, but I think it can be best summed up by saying that knowing myself, if I were born in Exeter, I'd probably be an Exeter City supporter who had a soft spot, & a preference for City in PL/CL matters.

However, even though I've been a Blue during our shittest times in the old 3rd Division, if asked at the time, I couldn't have even told you who was playing who in the PL as my whole concentration & focus was on City & my hope for a return to better days, & not on PL matters that didn't concern us.

I suppose this is why I was genuinely intrigued when that former colleague from Scarbrough said they were his local team, but he was a rabid ManUre supporter. The concept seemed totally alien to me & I suppose others might share my view too.

I always remember meeting a dude about 7 years ago who was a Plymouth Argyle fan & season ticket holder, albeit he'd lived in Manchester for nearly 30 years at the time. He rarely got to go to Plymouth matches, but held onto his season ticket as he believed it financially supported his local team.

I recall him being pissed off because Plymouth had applied for their stadium to be used in England's Euro or W/C bid, but when the bid failed, they got fucked over by the owners which nearly killed the club.

He told me stories about his Dad & Graddad who said they used to get 40-50000 in their stadium decades ago & that he & his fellow Argyle fans had never lost hope of returning to those halcyon days.

I looked up their club & stadium & was shocked at how modern it looked & have always looked out for their results since in the hope they can one day live out their dream just like we have.

I look at clubs like Udders, Portsmouth, Bournemouth & Brighton & wonder where they'd be now if not for the blind faith & support of their local fans seeing them through their darkest days when they were close to extinction.

Just like City in the 3rd Division, those fans had faith & were eventually rewarded in the long run just like we were.

I suppose it comes down to an individual's perspective on football. The top flight is only of interest to me if City are in it, so in that respect I have an affinity with those fans of smaller clubs who have stuck by them through thin & thinner times & continue to do so.

It's each to their own I suppose...

Last edited:
I honestly mean no offence with what I said, but I think it can be best summed up by saying that knowing myself, if I were born in Exeter, I'd probably be an Exeter City supporter who had a soft spot, & a preference for City in PL/CL matters.

Yes it’s each to their own I guess. There are those for whom geographical proximity and/or civic pride is intrinsically linked to their choice of football team, and those for whom, either by accident (ie they happen to live nowhere near any league team) or design (ie like me they grew up in one town, but give their primary affection to a team from elsewhere), it’s a matter of much less, if any, importance. Based on my own experience at Exeter, both types are very much in evidence at the ‘other’ St James’ Park. As a personal acid test though, if City were to ever play Exeter I would support City without hesitation, albeit that I don’t doubt the edge would be taken off any victory.

However, even though I've been a Blue during our shittest times in the old 3rd Division, if asked at the time, I couldn't have even told you who was playing who in the PL as my whole concentration & focus was on City & my hope for a return to better days, & not on PL matters that didn't concern us.

That’s a good point. I couldn’t begin to tell you who won the PL in any of the years we were absent from it as like you I only had interest in City, as personal trips to Northampton, Colchester, Wycombe, Blackpool, Notts County, Millwall, Bournemouth, Reading, Fulham, Wigan and Preston will all testify.

I suppose this is why I was genuinely intrigued when that former colleague from Scarbrough said they were his local team, but he was a rabid ManUre supporter. The concept seemed totally alien to me & I suppose others might share my view too.

I always remember meeting a dude about 7 years ago who was a Plymouth Argyle fan & season ticket holder, albeit he'd lived in Manchester for nearly 30 years at the time. He rarely got to go to Plymouth matches, but held onto his season ticket as he believed it financially supported his local team.

I recall him being pissed off because Plymouth had applied for their stadium to be used in England's Euro or W/C bid, but when the bid failed, they got fucked over by the owners which nearly killed the club.

He told me stories about his Dad & Graddad who said they used to get 40-50000 in their stadium decades ago & that he & his fellow Argyle fans had never lost hope of returning to those halcyon days.

I looked up their club & stadium & was shocked at how modern it looked & have always looked out for their results since in the hope they can one day live out their dream just like we have.

I look at clubs like Udders, Portsmouth, Bournemouth & Brighton & wonder where they'd be now if not for the blind faith & support of their local fans seeing them through their darkest days when they were close to extinction.

The same is definitely true of Exeter. Only the Supporter’s Trust saved the club a few years back and even now they are handicapped every season by having to sell their best players, and a superb academy has been key to that survival. Last summer we had to part company with Ethan Ampadu and Ollie Watkins to Chelsea and Brentford, probably the best two youngsters to come out of the club in 50 years, but it’s footballing reality and it balances the books. I doubt gates would be that much bigger were all those locals betrothed to PL teams to turn up at SJP each week instead, as most of them probably do anyway out of financial necessity and geographical remoteness (Bournemouth notwithstanding, most PL teams are a long way away, and not everyone has the cold hard cash to follow their passion like I do), plus the population of Exeter is only about 120,000 anyway.

Just like City in the 3rd Division, those fans had faith & were eventually rewarded in the long run just like we were.

I suppose it comes down to an individual's perspective on football. The top flight is only of interest to me if City are in it, so in that respect I have an affinity with those fans of smaller clubs who have stuck by them through thin & thinner times & continue to do so.

Fair comment. As I said earlier, I still go and see Exeter 3 or 4 times a season. They don’t come close to City though in terms of what the heart wants

It's each to their own I suppose...

Wagner and his team are here to at least attempt to win every match,

I think that most City fans are arguing from the standpoint that your only 'attempt' at weekend was to stop us winning! No 'attempts' on goal tells its own story. We have the same issue with many teams that come to the Etihad. They know that if they go toe to toe they are likely to come off second best. I don't have a problem with how teams come and set up and what tactics they employ - it is always up to City to come up with a solution. The one thing that grates a touch is the attempt by the RagDipperArseHaringeyMeedya to laud the 'attempt' as a nearly successful one, and that something beyond bugger all was what Town deserved. My view is that the quality of football, the tactics and the wholly-defensive view got what it deserved.

A few seasons ago Mancini and City went to The Emirates and came away with a 0-0. The tactic was to take home what you came with - a 0-0 and a point. He and the team were vilified for such negative tactics and demonstrating little attempt to force a win! I didn't hear one negative point raised by the 'pundits' along the same lines following our match!

A little lad among yer season ticket holders set off with City as his team two seasons ago and I sent him a lot of stuff, but he sent me a nice letter this season saying his Dad had got him a season ticket at Town and he was now a Terrier. He was the only Town fan with whom I sympathise!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.