Hughes knows something big is going to happen in January

twinkletoes

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes is counting down the days to the January transfer window.

The Eastlands outfit - financed by billionaire owners the Abu Dhabi United Group - have been connected with a host of big-money signings in the New Year.

AC Milan's Kaka, Valencia's David Villa and Real Madrid's Iker Casillias have all been mentioned and Hughes has repeatedly stressed his desire to reinforce the quality of his squad.

And with two weeks to go until the transfer window reopens, the former Blackburn boss - who moved to City in June - admits he is 'looking forward' to the opportunity to wield his chequebook.

"We need to improve the quality we have and we are looking forward to it," Hughes told Sky Sports News ahead of Thursday's trip to Racing Santander in the Uefa Cup.

Pressure
"We are in a position where we can go into the market. It is important that we do that."

Hughes has also thanked the City hierarchy for recent public backing following speculation that the Welshman was under pressure due to a run of one win in nine matches.

"I've had fantastic support," added Hughes. "They know it is a case of little by little and that we are not going to become an outstanding team over night.

"What we have to do is build a side, add to the qualities we already have, and make sure we are consistent."

Meanwhile, Hughes admits he is saddened by the plight of ex-club Blackburn, who relieved manager Paul Ince of his duties on Tuesday.

Shrewd
But Hughes, who played with Ince at Manchester United, is confident Blackburn chairman John Williams will select an appropriate successor.

"I'm sorry for Blackburn and for Paul, obviously, because he is an ex-team-mate," Hughes said.

"It is not easy when it happens. John Williams is a very shrewd chairman and if he feels it is right for the club, that is the decision he has made.

"I'm sure his next appointment will be one that he hopes will get them out of the situation the club is in."

Re: Highes knows something big is going to happen in January

That interview is fucking cringeworthy. It's shocking the way he's going on about January and being able to buy more players when he is so under performing with a squad that is already capable of a top 6 challenge and yet facing a relegation battle.

And his little by little comment is embarrassing...does he not realise we're going backwards?

Re: Highes knows something big is going to happen in January

jay_mcfc said:
That interview is fucking cringeworthy. It's shocking the way he's going on about January and being able to buy more players when he is so under performing with a squad that is already capable of a top 6 challenge and yet facing a relegation battle.

And his little by little comment is embarrassing...does he not realise we're going backwards?
I must admit to being a little annoyed by his comments. I's certainly not describe anything about this season as progess, and the "little by little" comment does seem to intimate that he's moving forward, albeit slowly. In my opinion our movement, certainly in terms of results, has been backwards. I'd be more inclined to respect the man if he openly admitted it wasn't good enough, we weren't progressing as he'd like and he's aware how frustrated the fans are, not that he thinks our 'support is fantastic'!!

Correct Matty. And whilst I'm at it who gives a fuck about Blackburn? He should be worried with his own position.

twinkletoes said:
All the doom mongers will have changed their fickle minds around 2nd January.
No, they won't.

You could shave a chimp, put him in a suit, hand him a banana and call him the gaffer and we'd still improve our performances from January onwards. If we spend the sums of money being quoted, on the kinds of players we're being linked to it wouldn't matter who was in charge, we'd improve. The question is, why should it be Hughes who gets to peel the banana? On this seasons performances he should stick to moving pianos up and down stairs.

twinkletoes said:

About Hughes? I'll change my mind when we're challenging for the league under him...I won't hold my breath!

Matty said:
twinkletoes said:
No, they won't.

You could shave a chimp, put him in a suit, hand him a banana and call him the gaffer and we'd still improve our performances from January onwards. If we spend the sums of money being quoted, on the kinds of players we're being linked to it wouldn't matter who was in charge, we'd improve. The question is, why should it be Hughes who gets to peel the banana? On this seasons performances he should stick to moving pianos up and down stairs.

So what is your point? Your argument means we should stick with Hughes!

twinkletoes said:
Matty said:
twinkletoes said:
No, they won't.

So what is your point? Your argument means we should stick with Hughes!

No, it doesn't. It only means that if you haven't understood it.

ANYONE would improve us in January. Hughes or someone else, it's irrelevant. What Hughes has proven is that, so far, he's incapable of getting the performances out of our current players that they are capable of. In the New Year we'll improve because the players are better, but under Hughes there's every chance they STILL not reach the levels they're capable of. So, BETTER than so far but not as good as they could do, kind of the same as the chimp would manage. We need a manager that can get the best from his players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.