I hate it when stereotypes about Americans are true (guns)

buckshot

So I made what I thought was an innocuous comment on FB today about guns. I simply said that I didn't understand why some gun owners think that when we talk about "Gun Control" in only means "Liberals want to take all of our guns away". My point was that it is currently legal for someone who has been convicted of a violent crime to purchase guns legally if they do it at a gun show. I also noted that it is also legal for a child to buy guns legally at gun shows in some states (and that that may not be safe).

Sure enough the morons came out of the woodwork with the "Well, who is going to be the one to go door to door and take everybody's guns". The scary thing is that these are people I actually know. I also got comments like "it's illegal to own a firearm if you're a convicted felon" like that's enough. They seriously don't understand that if a convicted felon buys guns and kills people that it won't matter to them if they're also charged with illegal possession of a firearm.

Problem isn't the guns but the people, if the person in possession of a gun isn't the one with intent of killing then they're most likely the one living in fear for their own lives which makes them just as dangerous!

Guns are becoming a more common thing over here in the UK now, I remember when the riots started over that kid that got killed by the police, people kicked up a fuss saying he did nothing wrong and he didn't have a gun on him at the time but did own a gun...... Sorry but how do you go from doing nothing wrong when you're in possession of a fire arm which is illegal in this country anyway and also why own a gun in the first place unless you're dodgy?

If we melted down every gun in the world people would only find another way of killing each other, it's all pointless really not sure why people get so bent up that they want to go kill everything! It'd be easier just to stop producing any kind of weapon at all then to control the situation.

So I made what I thought was an innocuous comment on FB today about guns. I simply said that I didn't understand why some gun owners think that when we talk about "Gun Control" in only means "Liberals want to take all of our guns away". My point was that it is currently legal for someone who has been convicted of a violent crime to purchase guns legally if they do it at a gun show. I also noted that it is also legal for a child to buy guns legally at gun shows in some states (and that that may not be safe).

Sure enough the morons came out of the woodwork with the "Well, who is going to be the one to go door to door and take everybody's guns". The scary thing is that these are people I actually know. I also got comments like "it's illegal to own a firearm if you're a convicted felon" like that's enough. They seriously don't understand that if a convicted felon buys guns and kills people that it won't matter to them if they're also charged with illegal possession of a firearm.

Probably because it's basically true. "We only want gun control, we don't want to ban guns ...yet"

The same felon who doesn't give a shit about a possession charge isn't really going to have a hard time getting a gun in the US, regardless.
Plenty of 'anti-gun' folks know this and that's why they tend to want to go further than that

Probably because it's basically true. "We only want gun control, we don't want to ban guns ...yet"

The same felon who doesn't give a shit about a possession charge isn't really going to have a hard time getting a gun in the US, regardless.
Plenty of 'anti-gun' folks know this and that's why they tend to want to go further than that
I disagree. Most of the people who commit the mass killings are weird loners, not criminals. They would't have any more of an idea how to get a gun illegally than I would.

Most of the people who commit the mass killings are weird loners, not criminals

This is where for me the problem lyes in that much more resources both in time and finance is put into Policing and Imprisoning people rather than Mental Health research and sufficient diagnosis/treatment.

I wouldn't want to run out of my house now and shoot up a school. But if I somehow developed some serious mental health condition, became psychotic, and obviously lived in a country which allowed me to buy a gun - I could be that weird person running up a school with a gun.

There are career criminals which commit organised crimes such as drug rackateering/robberies who will use guns,
And then there are people who are psychotic who end up committing completely idiotic/stupid crimes which don't benefit them,
Apart from maybe 15seconds of fame.

Society needs to address the issue of Mental Health more.
We see someone walking down the street with a broken leg and we (as society) think: aaw, let's help this person cross the road.

We then see someone in the street behaving in an unusual way such as talking to themselves, shouting out random words, wearing a united shirt,
And we then think: ooh look at that "strange" weirdo loner person, they must be a freak... i'll cross the road and avoid them.

More research/funding into mental health, causes/treatments and so on - I think we'll benefit much more as a society than having Legal Guns.
The yanks will plead to have their right to bare arms - whilst still allowing their poor and vulnerable no access to healthcare.

USA = Private Healthcare...
UK = Public Healthcare ( but as we have started to see gradually more of it is being privatised, and also our prison service privatised.... coincidence? i think not)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.