IAAF World Championships 2017

Bolt was good but he was no Jeffrey Julmis.

tenor.gif
NeedyDisfiguredDamselfly

All of the things he moans about are all prevalent if not rife in football too though (and i am sure most sports) and football is also equally guilty of blowing smoke up its own "greatest league in the world" (TM) arse:

- Corruption - we have had bribery of referees in Italy, Qatar and Russia winning the world cup bids, clubs in dubious ownership being asset stripped.
- Changing Nationalities - All the jokes we make about Jack Charlton and his Irish grandmothers, ok we don't see it so much in football because it is a team sport, but we see huge amounts in Cricket and Rugby, it isn't an athletics problem it is a sport problem.
- Drugs - Rio missing tests, the Leicester rumors, ok not much has been proven, but given the money and influence of clubs i expect the use of drugs in football is a lot higher than gets reported, although i do also believe that abuse is lower due to the fact that there is less pure advantage to be gained in a team sport not purely reliant on speed or strength.

Does any of that make you feel differently about football, or is it that you just don't like athletics?

Funnily enough I actually love athletics! Ironically bearing in mind the doping issues, athletics and cycling are my 2 favourite sports outside football, and I take part in and go and watch both sports regularly - I'm happy to citicise and question both sports and be able to love them at the same time.
If I'm honest I dont really like football much - outside of City. I virtually never watch any non-city football these days.
I didnt make clear but its more that I often agree with Samuel in general, rather than everything he says in that particular article. I do agree with his points on Semenya et al.
And your point about football I agree 100% - in fact if you look on the recent drugs in football? thread you'll see i've made 2 or 3 posts on there which basically say the same as you have above.

Agree, a Team event based on the following would be amazing:

Europe
North America
Central America (including Jam)
South America
Africa
Asia & Middle East
Oceania

The competitions which draw the crowds in this country, are competitions between nations.

People will turn up to cheer on GB athletes against other nations.

We need more of the same, not a different version of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.