IAAF World Championships 2017

What's the atmosphere like? I was there last night and it was great but very different to a football atmosphere. Also made me realize how far from the pitch the fans are.

Was terrible at the start, fans that have been used to standing up every game being told to sit, steward issues and a lot of teething issues - eventually got a lot better, atmosphere is great - that Tottenham game was rocking. I love it there to be honest, agree on the distance from pitch to sits. Where I am my view is fine, I can imagine for some in the gods it's too far from pitch. But overall, as 20+ year season ticket holder, Olympic Stadium is much much better than Upton Park.

Was terrible at the start, fans that have been used to standing up every game being told to sit, steward issues and a lot of teething issues - eventually got a lot better, atmosphere is great - that Tottenham game was rocking. I love it there to be honest, agree on the distance from pitch to sits. Where I am my view is fine, I can imagine for some in the gods it's too far from pitch. But overall, as 20+ year season ticket holder, Olympic Stadium is much much better than Upton Park.
The main problem with the Olympic Stadium (bollocks to that "London Stadium" shit) is that it IS an athletics stadium, being used for football. Which it wasn't designed for and allowed for in the design stage.. With our ground, it was known from day 1 in the design stage that we were going to be the tenants in it after the Commonwealth games had finished. It would never have been built without a tenant in place for it for the long term. Therefore, the design allowed for the playing area to be lowered considerably, to add the bottom tier of seats, therefore bringing the seating closer to the pitch. If you look at the stadium now, the second tier was the level where the athletics track and infield was. Essentially, we extended downwards, not upwards. Which worked out well.

Glad you are finding it that way. I was at the front of the second tier in 227 and the view was fantastic. Stadium held the noise well and really helped generate some noise.

At least your view is fine. Fucking joke of a stadium for football.
Too far away from the pitch, expensive beer and a trek to Stratford station afterwards. Upton Park anytime for me (or should that be The Boleyn) ?

With our ground, it was known from day 1 in the design stage that we were going to be the tenants in it after the Commonwealth games had finished. Therefore, the design allowed for the playing area to be lowered considerably, to add the bottom tier of seats, therefore bringing the seating closer to the pitch.

But that's because you didn't need the athletics track afterwards.

That wasn't really an option with the Olympic Stadium.

Last edited:
Glad you are finding it that way. I was at the front of the second tier in 227 and the view was fantastic. Stadium held the noise well and really helped generate some noise.

I saw an athletics session at the Olympics.

It's one of the best stadiums i've ever visited for atmosphere and that was under the old fabric roof.

As you say, the stadium really holds in the noise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.