IF City ever win the Champions league?

Well it's a good job Liverpool won the UEFA Cup in 73 and 76 too then, otherwise we would have been totally Mickey Mouse, just winning that tinpot Old Big Ears.

The actual tournament may have been easier, but you had 42 qualifying games to get in it, which was a lot harder when it was 1st or bust, so qualifying was miles harder.
Also, there was no rule that said the better teams couldn't win it, only Real, Barca United, Inter or whoever were garbage!!!! Shit competition, byes, seeds, make whatever excuse you like, Liverpool were head and shoulders above in those days.

Having said that I want 19 over 6, but if I was a City a fan its the European Cup I'd want now. That's what makes your name around the World and Pep might just be the man to deliver it. You lot wait and see, your hearts will burst if Kompany raises that up....
Firstly, let me make clear that I'm a Chelsea supporter so it wouldn't be right to label City fans on the basis of something I said. Not that it would be right to label Chelsea fans because of it either mind. :)

Secondly, I didn't create that post in order to diminish Liverpool's achievements in any way. If you are old enough you'll remember that the world was a different place back then. Barring the dramatic rivalries, like Liverpool/ManU for example, club differences were set aside on European nights and we all supported the English teams. I remember playing a cup match for my cricket club on the day of the Rome final. To a man, and with barely a Liverpool fan among us, everyone in the bar afterwards was going crazy when you won the shoot out.

Thirdly, You will easily guess from the above that I'm old enough to remember those two uefa cup campaigns. They are no doubt a big part of the reason Bob Paisley realised which of the two cups was the harder to win. That said, neither the late, great Bob, nor I, would attempt to say that the Champions Cup was not a prestigious trophy. Of course it was and Bob would have preferred his club to win it every time over the uefa cup.

Fourthly, I posted my opinion in reaction to an earlier comment harking back to the days when the Champions Cup was for national, or European, champions only and placing it above the Champions League for that reason. Well, I disagree with that point of view utterly and totally. After all, The Boat Race is very hard to get into too. Once you're in it though, it's a heck of a lot easier to win than lots, and lots, of higher quality races.

Lastly, I did not say the Champions Cup was a Mickey Mouse tournament in itself. I said it was Mickey Mouse in comparison to the Champions League, and I strongly believe that to be true.

Whatever we think about UEFA and its corrupt regime. The European Cup is the pinnacle of club football. If we do win it it will be our biggest achievement.It would change people's attitudes towards City across the world in a moment. I hope I see it happen. It may be true that Forest got easy draws the seasons they won the European Cup but anyone who watched them cruise to the First Division title the year before would have no doubts they were one of the greatest English sides ever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.