If we had to field an Academy-only Premiership side

To take the debate in a slightly different direction - what would your 11 be of players who are contracted to City and are either currently under 21 OR haven't appeared for the first team (ie Glendon)? That includes players out on loan etc & assuming all are match fit.

Mine would be:
Gunn
Maffeo Denayer Humphreys Angelino
A Garcia Bryan
Brahim
Roberts Barker
Kelechi

Subs:
Grimshaw, Duhaney, Adarabioyo, Glendon, Celina, M Garcia, Ambrose

To take the debate in a slightly different direction - what would your 11 be of players who are contracted to City and are either currently under 21 OR haven't appeared for the first team (ie Glendon)? That includes players out on loan etc & assuming all are match fit.

Mine would be:
Gunn
Maffeo Denayer Humphreys Angelino
A Garcia Bryan
Brahim
Roberts Barker
Kelechi

Subs:
Grimshaw, Duhaney, Adarabioyo, Glendon, Celina, M Garcia, Ambrose

I like Brahim for the very, very near future (like everybody else here), but I'd play Jack Byrne over him in that roll if I was trying to win a game against grown men next week. Would also probably move Bryan back and start Fofana for similar reasons.

I like Brahim for the very, very near future (like everybody else here), but I'd play Jack Byrne over him in that roll if I was trying to win a game against grown men next week. Would also probably move Bryan back and start Fofana for similar reasons.
I knew I was forgetting one or two... For me, Jack would replace Aleix in that lineup and the rest would stay the same. I'm a big fan of Manu Garcia but can't find a way to squeeze him in, Brahim is too good not to include him even at that tender age!

I knew I was forgetting one or two... For me, Jack would replace Aleix in that lineup and the rest would stay the same. I'm a big fan of Manu Garcia but can't find a way to squeeze him in, Brahim is too good not to include him even at that tender age!
From the bits I've seen Davenport should be there or thereabouts as well.

Would like to see how it did with Pep managing it for 6 months first, don't think it would be relegated then

From the bits I've seen Davenport should be there or thereabouts as well.

Going back to the original "if we had to set out and start a Premiership campaign with these guys..." thread, I wondered to myself if it wouldn't be worth skipping experience (in Fofana) and starting Aleix & Davenport together as a midfield two. Absurdly young, but for Pep's style of play there's a lot of ball retention and controlled passing in there. I guess for me (again, going back to the original post) I would start the season more cautiously like this:

--------- Nacho ---------
Barker ---------- Roberts
--------- Byrne ----------
-- Aleix ------- Fofana --
Angelino/Denayer/Tosin/Maffeo
---------- Hart -----------

Except that it was a largely even affair before the floodgates opened, and it was a few jaded senior players who opened (and left open) the floodgates. Regardless, I know a lot of money's on offer these days, and clubs can run out and spend £25m+ on players like Memphis, but it doesn't stop people like Rashford from popping up and completely surpassing them. Isolated example, but part of the spirit of the thread I guess -- you don't really know what anyone's worth or capable of until you let the chips fall.

I do think we would consider purchasing a lot of the academy players I listed for £10m and above (beyond Hart & Nacho). Byrne, Denayer, & Roberts for starters. But the original hypothetical was essentially "what kind of players would this bunch be with a full preseason as senior players, with Pep as their manager, after 6-8 weeks of playing against Premiership sides together as a team." I think (and it's just me being hopeful and optimistic by nature) that a few more of the players on the original list would be "£10m and above" players by league standards at the end of week 8.

As for the last question, you're right and I'm wrong -- there's more than 6 clubs I would admittedly see above us in the table. So allowing for some back-tracking, I still think that side would finish in the 7-10th section of the table. Again, some huge discrepancies in people's thoughts on this -- just offseason boredom-killing fodder in the typically civil EDS/Academy forum, not looking to pick fights.

I wouldn't pin the blame the senior players entirely for leaving the doors open. Tosin played with all his heart, but he was flagging towards the end, as one example. Rashford's excelling in a team that cost hundreds of millions of pounds. Yes, we poke fun at United's failings but he's got £30m players supplying and supporting him, not untested academy kids. I think any of the kids you've mentioned could pop up and do what Rashford has, but they'd need to be playing in our first team with first team players for that to happen. That's letting the chips fall in a way that you'd get the best from a player - you'd ruin them by playing all of the kids together, they take a few heavy beatings and their heads drop.

Denayer I'll give you and potentially Roberts, although not as an upfront payment. I like what I've seen from Byrne but he's been excelling in a team that's finished at the bottom of the Eredivise. If he was their player, they'd bite your arm off and some for £10m. I get what you're on about but Pep's not a miracle worker. He's tactically great and his man management is spot on - getting players to bring out the best in themselves and those around them. I just think that academy players that young would really struggle in bringing out the best in those around them part - you need some experienced heads.

I get that it's a bit of fun, and I bet I'm as excited as you about the talent that is coming through the academy. I just don't think it's a great idea to heap expectations on them and suggest that our academy side would be finishing in the top half of the Premier League. You're still finishing above teams like Stoke and Everton at that level.

I want our academy players to grow into the best players they can be, for that growth to be at City if they are capable and for many more than have been to be tested in the first team to see if they show early signs of being capable. If they're successful, wonderful.

I'd be straight on the phone to the respective clubs to see how much they wanted for Sturridge, Whelan, Suarez, Barton, Rabiot, Trippier and Guidetti.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.