If you were Pep then what would you do now?

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by Pingu the Penguin, 15 Jan 2017.

1. robbieh

robbieh

Stop talking like we are some mid table club that has won nowt for years.

2. richards30

richards30

When has he spoken like that mate?

3. robbieh

robbieh

He goes on about changing the mentality of the club all the time. Mancini did that and these players have won 2 league titles.

We are not the City of Old.

4. gio's side step

gio's side step

I think he's referring to us against clubs like Barca and Bayern. Which is correct.

5. BJL_City

BJL_City

well and the fact that for the third season running we're going to lose the title to a team worse than us, with less resources and worse players.

and another underwhelming CL exit.

It's clear the mentality has to change.

6. WallyA

WallyA

If Denayer and Mangala can make the squad next season, would be curious to see if Pep would try a 4-2-3-1 with centre backs out wide, this could shift into a 3-3-3-1 where a CB pushes up slightly to help control the midfield or the back 4 shifting over and up making a 3-3 in either case. I fully expect attacking fullbacks to be bought but probably only one for each position.

An example back 4 would be:

Denayer - Kompany - Stones - Mangala <--- tallest CBs in middle, left-footed mangala outwide and Denayer-Kompany Belgium connection together

This may sound really defensive, but I see it more as liberating some defensive duties from other attacking players.

Alternatively he can rotate the new attacking fullbacks in the following manner:

NEW RB - Kompany - Stones - Mangala <---- RB pushes up leaving back 3
    Denayer - Kompany - Stones - NEW LB <-----LB pushes up leaving back 3

7. FantasyIreland

FantasyIreland

That's a matter of opinion.

Both Chelsea and Tottenham have fantastic teams,and neither have had to cope with long term injury to key players - the spine and core of both teams has pretty much remained intact.

Pep has been on a steep learning process,in an effort to succeed he's made mistakes along the way,next season after much needed,and long overdue summer surgery,he will be in a far better situation to challenge on all fronts and we,as supporters,will be in a far better place to judge his management.

Its not a popular word,and maybe we shouldnt have allowed ourselves to end up here......but we are very much in a transistion period - its out with much of the old,and in with the new.Pep,while being be seen by many as the best manager on the planet,isnt a miracle worker......like anyone else,he needs the time and the players to implement his methods and style - he has earnt that right and we should afford him the opportunity.

8. totaalvoetbal

totaalvoetbal

The first thing I would do if I was Pep Guardiola is try my hardest to get rid of the deadwood but it is not easy. I would get rid of Aguero, Zabaleta, Clichy at least and perhaps Yaya Toure to free up some wages.

He has come into a team that has a different kind of idea of football and is having to convince the players. This is by far the hardest step before even getting on the field and you can tell some players still don't have enough belief. When there is and chance to pass the ball between the lines with a quick pass, too many times I have seen players just lump the ball out of fear. Belief, that will take the biggest time. Once that comes everything will fall into place.

It is easier to convince younger players because they haven't accumulated the hours of experience playing a certain way like the veterans and so they humble themselves and take on instructions a lot easier. Similar to Lois van Gaal in that regard and many others.

There are several stages of learning tactics:

Level 1 - learning - knowing what you have to do but not being able to apply it.

Level 2 - executing tactical instructions without any speed or pressure.

Level 3 - performance - using it in a game but not optimal application of what has been taught so a lot of mistakes will be made and the structure will not be secure.

Level 5 - Effective - can apply tactical instructions in a match under pressure

Level 6 - almost automatic - players are on their way to fully applying all instructions and most of if not all the team understand their roles

Level 7 - Automatic - automatisms are done and applied to the letter and players know what to do instantly before they receive the ball and can adjust in game without the manager intervening.

The ease of getting to level 7 will depend on the players at your disposal, how willing they are to learn and their qualities in the context of carrying out said instruction. Changing the squad lengthens adaptation time as well.

Barcelona where at a level 7 by the time Pep left because a lot of the team where taught the basics of position play from a young age so it was almost automated. Pep a young so coached Busquets and Pedro a year before he took the 1st team.

Bayern were in level 6.5 by the time Pep left.

Spurs are at a level 5/6 in carrying out the managers instruction and it has taken 3 years to reach that, same as in Guardiola's time at Bayern.

Atletico are at a level 7 and Chelsea are at a level 5.

It will take another 2 seasons before you come close to seeing the fruits of Peps labour.

9. asahartford1

asahartford1

So Kun is a 29 goal so far this season piece of DEADWOOD.

Yet Toure only a maybe get rid.

If they are out of contract it should not be as difficult as you suggest.

Strange opinions

10. aguero93:20

aguero93:20

Worshipping the great bald one
    There's a possibility that you actually made some good points in the rest of your post and if you did it would be a bit of a shame, as I stopped reading after the above.