Ilkay Gundogan - 2016/17 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he should've been switched with Fernandinho early doors. Fernandinho's reading of the game was all over the place and his diving in kept leaving us exposed through the middle, Gundogan meanwhile was too slow in the press which allowed them to play out from deep easier than they should've been allowed.

He'd ran more than anyone on the pitch by half time and he was still a little off the pace. Can't wait to see him fully fit.

I give credit to him as well as he might not be at 100%.

But as I have followed him for several years now I also know what kind of player he is:
superb technique, great in possesion and passing accuracy. He can feed the forwards and wingers in style.

But he is not the man to turn a match around, never was. He hates if opponent players are standing on his socks. His character is lacking some percent of sharpness in those physical matches in terms of defensive work, aggressive forward passing and shot on goal also.

The midfield last night didn't cope well with Celtic's pressing. Fernandinho was left alone in defensive midfield and made errors we usually do not see. I said before that will be a Fernando match to calm down the match in that atmosphere. Pep was too greedy. Sometimes I wished he was a bit more clever and patient to play his cards in the right moment.

I give credit to him as well as he might not be at 100%.

But as I have followed him for several years now I also know what kind of player he is:
superb technique, great in possesion and passing accuracy. He can feed the forwards and wingers in style.

But he is not the man to turn a match around, never was. He hates if opponent players are standing on his socks. His character is lacking some percent of sharpness in those physical matches in terms of defensive work, aggressive forward passing and shot on goal also.

The midfield last night didn't cope well with Celtic's pressing. Fernandinho was left alone in defensive midfield and made errors we usually do not see. I said before that will be a Fernando match to calm down the match in that atmosphere. Pep was too greedy. Sometimes I wished he was a bit more clever and patient to play his cards in the right moment.

Sound like a homer then.

First half was terrible. His positioning was the chink in our armour and managed to negate Nolito and expose Fernandinho at the same time.

Second half he was greatly improved.

Still finding his feet.

So comfortable on the ball and such great vision and technique. Some of the interplay between him and Silva is going to be exceptional when he's fully fit and they've had more time together. It will be effortless one touch stuff that will cut through the opposition and allow an easy through ball for our attacking players.

Needs to build fitness after a major injury but I still believe he's the best central midfielder in the league. Pogba will make headlines as he's powerful and strong, Gundogan just has effortless guile in the midfield area and a great range of passing. He's two footed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.