Ilkay Gundogan - 2016/17 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the German national team even if problably the midfield will be Khedira, Kroos and Özil for the matches. (I guess he will get his time)

CtmNYSyWAAA35w8.jpg

The lad is only going to get better and better the more game time he gets the better he will be. IF KDB and Silva didnt pick up the knock and injury I think he would of been eased in a lot more. I think his fitness as in match fitness isnt too far away from being bang on. The link up play will be great with him in the team. More positives than negatives with him.

Back in the German national team even if problably the midfield will be Khedira, Kroos and Özil for the matches. (I guess he will get his time)
Offtop: what do you think about Dahoud's chances? Where's his place in the candidates' pecking order?

Just now watching the start of the 2nd half - just wow. How good is Gundogan?

Hasn't put a foot wrong yet and has made some passes that I'd swear were impossible.

It's so fun to watch CIty now - every single player on the pitch, keeper included, is great with the ball. We're going to destroy everyone in the EPL (Pool a possible exception) this year.
Every? Great?

Offtop: what do you think about Dahoud's chances? Where's his place in the candidates' pecking order?

Difficult - but he is still fine playing for the U21. There is Khedira, Kroos, Gündogan - a Weigl etc. who I see still playing for awhile. Kroos is 26 - Gündogan 25. Tuchel of Dortmund today blamed Löw as he did not nominate Castro (who is out of the pecking order for the German team since he misbehaved some years ago in the U21).

It is difficult to really get into this team - not just nominated but to get to be a starter. Kimmich was lucky as he is so versatile and some where tested with the Lahm position but nobody really could shine on it.

This!

Some of the so-called pundits are predicting tough times ahead for City due to KDB's injury.

Although KDB is an important player for us - he's certainly not indispensable. Silva and Gundogan can fill KDB's position (centrally) and on the wing we have many excellent replacements as well.

We are 2 or usually 3 players deep at each position with but two exceptions.

If Bravo goes down we'll take a big hit in performance. I love Willy for his commitment to the team; but he's just not good enough on the ball.

And Fernandinho - we lack a box-to-box midfielder replacement who can cover for our passing mistakes and once the ball is won, make decisive passes forward. To me, Fernandinho is our most irreplaceable player followed very closely by Bravo.

Pep is a perfectionist - I fully expect us to sign suitable back-ups for Fernandinho and Bravo in the Winter window.
I agree with the Bravo claim. Not so much Dihno. Frankly I think Gundogan and Garcia are probably better 6s than Dihno. And Dihno plus either Silva or DeBryune will be a better free 8 Duo than Silva and DeBryune.

It's my view that we are at our best when the other team has the ball in their half and we turn them over. Dihno is 1000 times the player either Silva or DeBryune is at doing that, so he and one if the 2 is probably a better bet.

Our best CM combo in my opinion is Gundogan or Garcia at the base plus Dihno and one of Silva/DeBryune.

Against park the bus teams, we could switch Dihno to RB and play the 3 passers.

I agree with the Bravo claim. Not so much Dihno. Frankly I think Gundogan and Garcia are probably better 6s than Dihno. And Dihno plus either Silva or DeBryune will be a better free 8 Duo than Silva and DeBryune.

It's my view that we are at our best when the other team has the ball in their half and we turn them over. Dihno is 1000 times the player either Silva or DeBryune is at doing that, so he and one if the 2 is probably a better bet.

Our best CM combo in my opinion is Gundogan or Garcia at the base plus Dihno and one of Silva/DeBryune.

Against park the bus teams, we could switch Dihno to RB and play the 3 passers.
Garcia has been a revelation - not sold on Gundogan's defensive ability or his engine to go box-to-box for the full 90 which is why I think he might struggle if we play a lone pivot; admittedly I haven't seen nearly of his play to be sure of this tentative reservation.

Would be interesting to see Garcia in the 6 for a full 90 though.

As for Fernandinho as an 8 - what!?! Just no. Fernandinho does not have the requisite skill set for this in a Pep system.

Last edited:
Gundogan: "I wanted to come out of my comfort zone and join a new team, with a new manager, with a new club, a new country, a new league."
Gundogan: "Everyone told me the Premier League is the hardest. So I just wanted to try because I had nothing to lose."
Gundogan: "It was the perfect time. I’m 25 and I achieved everything in Germany. It was time to go, move on and start a new adventure."
Gundogan: "Also the combination with Pep and the club – perfect for my type of football. It wasn't a difficult decision. It was quite easy."
Gundogan: "We have one philosophy. Pep’s philosophy. If we lose and someone is better we accept it. Handshake and focus on the next game."
Gundogan: "I just have really more fun than ever to be on the field, to play and enjoy this football."

More quotes: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/30/ilkay-gundogan-playing-for-pep-guardiola-at-manchester-city-is-h/ …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.