Ilkay Gundogan - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all you have to consider that what I said about Gundogan is for when there’s no Dinho, which is why I said Gundogan will be fine defensively. I wasn’t saying we play Gundogan over Dinho full time.

Of course Dinho offers a better defensive presence than Gundogan but Gundogan offers a much better option when attacking. You can’t compare Dinho’s and Gundogan’s pass percentage as Gundogan has many more vertical passes than Dinho, this is a fact.

I wasn’t saying we won’t get counter attacked at all with Gundogan, that’s just stupid. But we will get counter attacked less than when Dinho is playing. But the % of us stopping the counter attack will be slightly lower with Gundogan for sure. Dinho still has trouble passing when being pressed, Gundogan is much better than him.
Lol, clearly you don't know Neville then. He is full of red herrings and strawman arguments.

I mean the guy asked s pointed question a few pages back. Who'd lose more game time if Fred arrived. To which I answered Fernandihno. Seeing as it seems Fred is being brought in to play DM.

His response: Are you saying Gundogan will be picked ahead of Fernandihno?... Huh?

It's hard discussing with Neville sometimes :)

Lol, clearly you don't know Neville then. He is full of red herrings and strawman arguments.

I mean the guy asked s pointed question a few pages back. Who'd lose more game time if Fred arrived. To which I answered Fernandihno. Seeing as it seems Fred is being brought in to play DM.

His response: Are you saying Gundogan will be picked ahead of Fernandihno?... Huh?

It's hard discussing with Neville sometimes :)
Lol I give people the benefit of the doubt.

I think we've been spoilt with Fernandinho. Especially as you point out, aerially. I think having someone that good at filling in the lines on the floor and in the air is rare. Especially when you combine it with his pace, athletic ability and his decent attacking game. He really has become the real deal, the total package in that role.
I think we'll be very lucky to uncover another like him. I think Fred will provide the energy Fernandinho does. Hopefully a little more considering age.
Gundogan is slightly better in possession and at his pomp had a great burst of speed through the middle.

I watch a shit loads of football, I can't think of a suitable replacement or even close to similar replacement to Fernandinho.

I noticed Fred vs us, thought he was great. Perhaps Alaba, Savic.

But I can't think of another holding player that rolls pace, power, intelligence, aerial ability, game smarts, passing and energy like Fernandinho does.

I can't think of a replacement either, but it would be Fred over this version of Gundogan for me. And I think we should go all out to find Fern Mk11 until we do find one. We should have an option in that position who can do the aerial job Fern does imo, even if we only use him in certain games v teams with a threat there.

I actually think Fred and Fernandinho is a possible partnership vs the better sides & that it would take KDB about two games to be better than Gundogan in that position, if we needed a different option.

Been quiet on this thread but I can't be the only one thinking the following so I'll just say it....

He is so frustrating. Very neat and tidy. But just doesn't have the personality to try and dominate a game. He's started most cup games where KDB and David Silva hasn't played and you would expect him to step up and control the game. He just doesn't seem to know how to elevate his game when he is the key player.

Realise the timing of this comment might seem reactionary and I'm aware people will point to him breaking the PL pass record on Sunday, but in a way that emphasises my point. It actually feels like he doesn't want to take any responsibility at times.

Totally fine when KDB and Silva are available and he compliments them so well. But I just wish there was an extra dimension to his game because it is really needed in games like tonight. I would say the same about Bernardo as well although I feel he's isolated out on the wing so quite unrealistic to expect him to dominate.

Just feels odd that the two players (with varying success) who friend break lines and make things happen were a 22 year-old and a 22 year old down the left hand side.

I think we've been spoilt with Fernandinho. Especially as you point out, aerially. I think having someone that good at filling in the lines on the floor and in the air is rare. Especially when you combine it with his pace, athletic ability and his decent attacking game. He really has become the real deal, the total package in that role.
I think we'll be very lucky to uncover another like him. I think Fred will provide the energy Fernandinho does. Hopefully a little more considering age.
Gundogan is slightly better in possession and at his pomp had a great burst of speed through the middle.

I watch a shit loads of football, I can't think of a suitable replacement or even close to similar replacement to Fernandinho.

But I can't think of another holding player that rolls pace, power, intelligence, aerial ability, game smarts, passing and energy like Fernandinho does.

The French lad Doucoure at Watford looks like he might be able to do that type of job. Genuinely two-footed, good in the air, quick, strong, can break it up and pass quickly, and shoots well.

NDombele looks like this type of player. 21 yo, and Lyon president will soon consider selling him for the right price.

Stick to topic,discussing Gundogan's performances,please.

If you wish to speculate in regards to replacements/alternatives,then plenty of threads exist in the transfer forum.

As for his performance last night.....exactly what i have come to expect,neat and tidy in the main but with a lack of substance and authority.

His usual slow game last night but this time against mediocre opposition. Can't dictate play in a game. Probably Peps worst buy to my mind. Not terrible just not that great. Last night he looked worse as he was next to the statue that is Yaya.

His usual slow game last night but this time against mediocre opposition. Can't dictate play in a game. Probably Peps worst buy to my mind. Not terrible just not that great. Last night he looked worse as he was next to the statue that is Yaya.
Its hard to judge when he is surrounded by so many other 'under' performances. He had to constantly drop deep to get slow ball from Yaya, some of the distribution out of defence was poor. Phil is still inexperienced and i thought he took wrong positions off the ball at numerous times last night. He actually got in the way of runs a few times - he will learn though. in front of him Gabby looks incredibly ring rusty. So is it fair to expect him to dominate when a number of cogs in the machine are grinding? Put him in the first team and he invariably plays well and makes excellent contribution. I agree he is no KDB but should we expect him to be - at the moment he is being criticised because he falls short of Kev/Dave which is a little harsh as so would every other midfield player in the premier league.

Thought he started fairly well, then faded - together with almost everyone else.
Happy to cut him some slack though - could be that the heavy schedule (four games in eleven days?) is catching up with him. Given the lay-offs he’s had over the past few years, can’t imagine he’s had to face anything like that for a fair while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.