Ilkay Gundogan - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of his first / controlling touches were actually great tackles or interceptions which was just lovely to see, but alongside those he actually had a few genuine winning tackles. Great game all around.

Who are the physical teams he can't play against in the league?

Give me as many names as possible. That way, when he does play DM against them, you can prove or disprove your claim.
Calm down your honor. Nobody said anything about "can't". His effectiveness is lessened. He is not shut down or crap, he is not as effective.

There is no claim to be proved i was aware of, it is my opinion, one that seems to have upset you apparently.

Regarding the teams, there are a few setups i would rather see him in that not, often this can be in the same game. For example early season new boys full of energy and wanting to prove themselves. In those matches he would imo be better brought on later when given that extra second to choose his pass, the press has died off a bit and such. Any team below 6th can take that route early in the season so then i would use him as a sub a bit more depending how the game tempo is going, score etc. It is not absolute just in general piss and vinegar teams i feel lessen his effectiveness moving the ball about and getting properly involved.

When games are frantic with a lot of shuffling left to right and such; needed to create space, this is more suited to Silva and De Bruyne style players i feel. With that i mean quicker to get in a position to receive the ball and be comfortable in tight situations where there is 0 time to think on the ball. His game is more suited towards chess style matches. He is fantastic at working to unlock a stubborn but more standoffish opponent, here is where i feel he excels. That is the best little bow i can tie it off with for you to shake your enraged fist at sir :-D

With that, i say good night Mr Dax :-)

Last edited:
It literally happens all the time, irrespective of who is our pivot. Come on now, this comment sounded like a shit parody of yourself even.

So the business of these guys being 'press resistent' is bullshit then, even Swansea, who mainly sat back, can nick the ball off them, therefore we might as well have a good def mid there instead ?

I agree.

So the business of these guys being 'press resistent' is bullshit then, even Swansea, who mainly sat back, can nick the ball off them, therefore we might as well have a good def mid there instead ?

I agree.
Well no, I don't agree as I don't think that being 'press resistent' ends up in binary conclusion. :) Both Gundo and Ferna are quite good at it, in fact the latter has developed in that a lot since Pep came. I'm sure we can at least agree on that.

Well no, I don't agree as I don't think that being 'press resistent' ends up in binary conclusion. :) Both Gundo and Ferna are quite good at it, in fact the latter has developed in that a lot since Pep came. I'm sure we can at least agree on that.

Yes they are 'quite good' at it, which I'd say is about as good as anyone can be, when being pressed.

The idea someone like Kroos, for example, can take over from Fernadinho & just ponce around on the ball week in week out, without getting clobbered here & there & losing the ball, just like Fern does sometimes, is as much a complete load of bollocks, as the idiots who say Fern can't pass the ball well enough.

It's a fine balance.

Personally, considering the Premier League workload & the amount of times our defenders make elementary mistakes, I would prefer another Fernandinho at the club, than a Kroos type player.

In the case of Gundogan, I just don't think he's been all that good & I think he's lost a yard or two since Dortmund, so we can do better & probably will.

I doubt that Gundo will be going anywhere this summer and I don't see a need for him to leave. I'd like to think he will get better and better if he stays (reasonably) injury free.

We need to improve the squad again but quality players like Gundo who have got experience of Pep's positional play need retaining.

Yaya is going so we need a DM to compete / rotate with Dinho to replace the big man.

I’ve always thought that our DM doesn’t need to be ‘physical’. Just needs to be smart position-wise. Pep’s Barca had Busquets and he wasn’t exactly a unit. They won CL with Busquets there and they’d walk the league like we do now.

giphy.gif

Gundogan again underlined my opinion about him as a DM and how he makes the team tick. His reading of the games is what makes him intercept the ball or ables him to make tackles without sliding or fouls. Whereas Fernandinho often makes an unnessesary foul.

However I’m happy both players give Pep loads of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.