Installing Chromium via USb - What is Sudo/SU Command Line ?

The Silver Surfer

Having fried my usual laptop by spilling water on it I now have sealed it in a tupperware box filled with rice and moisture packets!
So i thought as a make do id dig my sons crappy acer aspire one out and even though its dog slow try to get it performing a bit just for internet, torrent downloading and media playing.
Ive carried out a factory reset but its still awfully slow, then I read about turning netbooks into android/chromebooks.
via a usb stick.
Ive got so far as to boot to a Chromium build but it sees no networks and allows you to go no further until you are logged on a network. This is because you have to do something to get the drivers working for the Broadcom wireless network adaptors which is explained at the following link:

http://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/2013/02/24/how-to-get-the-broadcom-wireless-drivers-working/

Now I get to booting into chromium then into this su command line and log into as chronos but it asked for a password.
I dont know what it is! From reading the text it seems there is a way to make one but its way over my head.
Anyone know what I can do?

http://i.imgur.com/U2mhzEM.jpg

Also on the link it shows a series of what I assume are commands - am I suppossed to type these one by one and press enter? What is the significance if any of the blue and red text?

I'll be really grateful for any help.

Re: Installing Chromium via USb - What is Sudo/SU Command Li

Set the chronos user password

On a Chromium OS computer, you can get command line access (and root access through the sudo command) by logging in with the shared user account "chronos". You should set a password for the chronos user by entering the command below from inside the ~/trunk/src/scripts directory:

./set_shared_user_password.sh

You will be prompted for a password, which will be stored in encrypted form in /etc/shared_user_passwd.txt.

SIDE NOTES:
The encrypted password is stored inside chroot. That means that if you recreate your chroot, you have to run this command again.
If you don't set a shared user password, the password for the chronos account may end up being any number of things depending on some complicated (and constantly evolving) formula that includes whether you build a developer image, whether you boot into developer mode, and the current state of the scripts. The password might be empty, or a well-known string (such as "test0000" on test images), or it might be impossible to login with chronos. It is strongly recommended that you simply set a shared user password.
<a class="postlink" href="https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/developer-guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org ... oper-guide</a>

mindmyp's_n_q's said:

On a Chromium OS computer, you can get command line access (and root access through the sudo command) by logging in with the shared user account "chronos". You should set a password for the chronos user by entering the command below from inside the ~/trunk/src/scripts directory:

You will be prompted for a password, which will be stored in encrypted form in /etc/shared_user_passwd.txt.

How can I set a password when its asking me for one first??

The Pope said:
mindmyp's_n_q's said:

How can I set a password when its asking me for one first??
I've never done this myself but I'm reading it as asking you to enter a (new) password not an existing one: https://sites.google.com/a/chromium...loper-guide#TOC-Set-the-chronos-user-password

I'll boot to the usb, go to su command and enter chronos add the user and take it from there and see what happens but I'm sure it just said "password" add if you were to enter an existing one. At the moment the laptops installing 140 Windows updates!
Anyway if I get in are the commands listed on the page i posted the text i should be typing i and hitting enter line by line?

The Pope said:
Having fried my usual laptop by spilling water on it I now have sealed it in a tupperware box filled with rice and moisture packets!
So i thought as a make do id dig my sons crappy acer aspire one out and even though its dog slow try to get it performing a bit just for internet, torrent downloading and media playing.
Ive carried out a factory reset but its still awfully slow, then I read about turning netbooks into android/chromebooks.
via a usb stick.
Ive got so far as to boot to a Chromium build but it sees no networks and allows you to go no further until you are logged on a network. This is because you have to do something to get the drivers working for the Broadcom wireless network adaptors which is explained at the following link:

http://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/2013/02/24/how-to-get-the-broadcom-wireless-drivers-working/

Now I get to booting into chromium then into this su command line and log into as chronos but it asked for a password.
I dont know what it is! From reading the text it seems there is a way to make one but its way over my head.
Anyone know what I can do?

http://i.imgur.com/U2mhzEM.jpg

Also on the link it shows a series of what I assume are commands - am I suppossed to type these one by one and press enter? What is the significance if any of the blue and red text?

I'll be really grateful for any help.

One by one. The coloring is just pretty formatting

sudo means Super Do. It is a command that makes you an administrator able to do anything on the system; by default Linux systems only allow you to do stuff in your home directory.

su is a command that means Substitute User. It is a way of taking your login session and transferring it to another user. By default is changes you to the root (Linuxspeech for admin) user.

The line above says make me an admin.

mount -o remount, rw /

This runs a program called mount. All filesystems on a hard disk are like big trees. This is telling the system to use the specific file system found at the location /. That slash isn't a misprint, it is the top file on your filesystem, sort of like the C: in Windows.

When using a command line, you run a program then feed it arguments to tell it what to do. Here you are saying run mount using the options (-o) remount and rw. Then you are telling it where to mount the file system at the top level /.

The command on that blog might actually fail because it has used a comma to separate the options it is feeding to mount - remount and rw but has left a space between them which sometimes throws it off. I would suggest running the command as mount -o remount,rw /

As you might have gathered, the filesystem is already mounted at / so a logical question would be to ask why it needs mounting again. It is done to reset all permissions on the filesystem so that nothing is left read-only

sudo echo "blacklist b43" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
sudo echo "blacklist b43legacy" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
sudo echo "blacklist ssb" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
sudo echo "blacklist bcma" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
sudo echo "wl" >> /etc/modules

In these commands, you are writing text into a file using a command line rather than a text editor. sudo elevates the command to admin, echo is the program used to literally echo the text you have put inside those quotes and the >> sign is used to tell it where to echo the text.

For example, if you ran the command echo hello then the console would just print back at you hello. The direction arrows tell it to echo it into that specific file contained at /etc/modprobe.d/ which is the directory. Linux is very picky on opening and closing quotes by the way and anything that you put inside of them is treated as a single phrase of text.

sudo touch /etc/modprobe.d/wl.conf
sudo echo "alias wlan0 wl" >> /etc/modprobe.d/wl.conf

touch is a Linux program used to create files. Here you are using sudo to elevate it as an admin command then touch to create the file wl.conf in the directory /etc/modprobe.d/. Then using echo as above you are writing into that file.

cd /lib/modules/3.4.0/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/

Here you are using cd. cd is a Linux command meaning Change Directory. You are changing the directory which you are currently working in to the /lib/modules/3.4.0/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ directory.

wget <a class="postlink" href="http://chromium.arnoldthebat.co.uk/files/fw/lib/modules/3.4.0/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://chromium.arnoldthebat.co.uk/file ... less/wl.ko</a>

wget is a Linux program used to download files from the internet. Here you are telling it to download the file wk.ko from that link. This is why you just changed your directory, to make sure this was downloaded to the right place.

sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.4.0/kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.4.0/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211.ko
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.4.0/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211_crypt_ccmp.ko
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.4.0/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211_crypt_tkip.ko
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.4.0/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211_crypt_wep.ko
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.4.0/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko

insmod is a Linux program used to Insert a Module into the Linux kernel. Here you are taking the wireless drivers listed (the files ending in .ko) and telling Linux that they exist and to use them. Obviously running them as an admin command.

sudo depmod -a

depmod is a Linux program that is used to check Module Dependencies after using insmod. The -a argument just makes it search for dependencies everywhere it can.

Thankyou, Dam, I'll look forward to trying that but I can't even log into this developer console!
The text at the top of the command interface states that in Developer Mode I ca:n:

-Login and sudo as user 'chronos'
-require a password for sudo and login(*)

*to set a password for 'chronos', run the following as root:

chromeos-setdevpasswd

I'm a little wet behind the ears, how do I do that?!

The chronos user doesn't yet have a password for you to use to go into. You need to exit the Developer Console by pressing the button combination at the top of the screen (Ctrl, Alt, F1) then go to the following directory:

Code:
/trunk/src/scripts

Inside that directory is a file called ./set_shared_user_password.sh

In Linux, a sh file is actually an executable like a Windows EXE file. If you run that then it will prompt you to set a new password which you can then go and use to login with as chronos.

You can do this by going back to the Terminal window that you ran a bunch of commands with earlier (if you had one) and enter the following:

Code:
cd ~/trunk/src/scripts 

If you haven't got a Terminal, go to the browser and press Ctrl-Alt-T together to open Crosh (Chromium Shell).

chrome-os-crosh-shell.png

There enter the word shell and hit enter. This should put you in a shell where you can run the above commands.

Ok, sounds good, except I can't get into chromium at all as it asks me to select a network at the initial start up screen, and I can't continue any further until I select a network. Since it doesn't list any networks it's because I haven't sorted the wfi divers out to work via this su console...which I can't log into because I have to set a password..
Vicious circle, or can i do what you suggest via the Windows 7 that is already installed?

This screen:

[bigimg]http://i.imgur.com/aHSy9HJ.png[/bigimg]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.