Interrailing

KingCarlito

Me and my pal are off interrailing for 4 weeks in June. I have mapped out a flexible route, which takes us through most of the main places in Central Europe, and we are gonna come home via Germany and France.

Has anybody got any experience in travelling Europe on trains? And even better, got any tips for the big destinations e.g Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Budapest etc.? Or places off the beaten track. We like a beer, football, hiking, water sports, architecture and beaches, so any advice is appreciated!

Cheers

Sounds an awesome trip mate. I did the same myself when I was Eighteen and had a fantastic time. The month was not long enough.

Things have changed since I have been to a few of those destinations but I would recommend the following:

Underground Salt mines at Krakow
Largest club in Europe under the Charles Bridge Prague
Hostel Kabul Barcelona sited on the Placa Rieal for a central hostel.
Berlin the German Parliament is worth a trip around and if memory serves me correct is free.
Czech Republic Cesky Krumlov is a Unesco heritage site and worth a visit.

Have a look at them on trip advisor etc and see what you think.

With regards the trains I tried to maximising my time by crashing on the train and sleeping in couchettes (supplement required) or in carriages and worked quite well for me as a lot of the trains to the major cities such as Munich to Prague etc take 8 hours.

Last edited:
Sounds an awesome trip mate. I did the same myself when I was Eighteen and had a fantastic time. The month was not long enough.

Things have changed since I have been to a few of those destinations but I would recommend the following:

Underground Salt mines at Krakow
Largest club in Europe under the Charles Bridge Prague
Hostel Kabul Barcelona sited on the Placa Rieal for a central hostel.
Berlin the German Parliament is worth a trip around and if memory serves me correct is free.
Czech Republic Cesky Krumlov is a Unesco heritage site and worth a visit.

Have a look at them on trip advisor etc and see what you think.

With regards the trains I tried to maximising my time by crashing on the train and sleeping in couchettes (supplement required) or in carriages and worked quite well for me as a lot of the trains to the major cities such as Munich to Prague etc take 8 hours.

Thanks for the recommendations, will be sure to check them out.

Did Plaça Reial this year for our game, so we are gonna miss Spain out on this trip I think.

Good shout regarding sleeper trains, I've accommodated a few for the longer parts of our route to save some cash on hostels. Any idea how much you'd be looking at paying for a supplement these days?

Think the supplements vary depending on where you're traveling to and from. I did Vienna to Munich on a sleeper last October and it was about €60 but that was for the ticket too. I was rudely awoken at 4 am in Salzburg by the Bundespolizei for the border check but otherwise it was fine.

You're gonna struggle to find much football on in June though, unless you're heading to Scandinavia. More time for the touristy stuff.

I did this in 1981 and loved it. A lot has changed since then. A very kind German lad we met on the train invited us to stay the night in his parents farmhouse in Bavaria, when it was too late to get to the Hostel at Neuschwanstein. The three of us had a comfortable night's sleep in warm beds, our own rooms, a warm shower in the morning, and a lovely traditional breakfast. It saved us some money.

Another older guy in a remote link station also in Bavaria bought the three of us a schnapps. I'm tee total, but drank it anyway. It was not pleasant for me.

My advice is to embrace the experience fully, and make the most of the generosity of well-meaning, complete strangers.

Did this in 88 and had a great time. We did some overnight trains and my 2 mates snored in stereo - after a few nights of this we had to replan to avoid overnight trips. Be prepared to stay in some dodgy places - in Paris we had rats in the room at night. The more money you can take the better as living on pizza and water in the big capital cities can get a bit monotonous

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.