Investing your money

And that dealer's retail price will be two or three times auction price. Given you'll only get trade price yourself, when you come to sell, how many years just to close the initial gap?
Not necessarily If you do your research (thoroughly ) and you know what an item is worth or thereabouts you can do pretty well imo.

I recently bought a roman gold ring for £800 and had it appraised at Bonhams for £2000-3000. i know it's not a huge difference but if you take a quick glance at previous sales at auctioneers like Bonhams, christies etc... the guide price is usually much lower than the final price. So if that stays true to form and I do sell it I could potentially make a really good profit.

Forget stocks and shares, the financial markets are built on nothing but vague promises, the major winners are the banks and brokers.

Nor can you trust the government as the Greek investors found out, do your own research and buy hard assets.

It's not called trough trading but insider dealing - look it up huge penalties !

Not necessarily If you do your research (thoroughly ) and you know what an item is worth or thereabouts you can do pretty well imo.

I recently bought a roman gold ring for £800 and had it appraised at Bonhams for £2000-3000. i know it's not a huge difference but if you take a quick glance at previous sales at auctioneers like Bonhams, christies etc... the guide price is usually much lower than the final price. So if that stays true to form and I do sell it I could potentially make a really good profit.

I'm not denying that, mate; just saying if you cut out the dealer's margin, you start from a stronger financial position. We can all get lucky now and then with a retail buy but it's about improving your percentages. I can understand your reluctance to buy from eBay or Del Boy's Auction Room. However, auction houses such as the two you mention are pretty meticulous on provenance. That, combined with your own research, could serve you well.

Whatever you do, good luck. If you can get it right, antiques are a much more enjoyable way to make money than some faceless virtual investment.

P.S. I'll give you £850 for the Roman ring ;)

I'm not denying that, mate; just saying if you cut out the dealer's margin, you start from a stronger financial position. We can all get lucky now and then with a retail buy but it's about improving your percentages. I can understand your reluctance to buy from eBay or Del Boy's Auction Room. However, auction houses such as the two you mention are pretty meticulous on provenance. That, combined with your own research, could serve you well.

Whatever you do, good luck. If you can get it right, antiques are a much more enjoyable way to make money than some faceless virtual investment.

P.S. I'll give you £850 for the Roman ring ;)
:)

I bought a not insignificant number of an energy company shares three months ago and I'm running a 30% loss in that time. I have to stay for the long game now. So take no notice of my advice.

Diversify any investments across a range of funds. Invest for the long term, I’m talking 5-10 years and don’t swap stuff out at the first blip, it will usually recover. North American funds have done best for me over the last 5 years, irrespective of Trump.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.