IPCC routinely suspend officers who shot the London terrorists.

cyberblue

The eight policemen who shot the 3 terroists in London have been suspeded .it might be normal procedure after such an incident but it cant do much for police moral

Wheres this come from, nothing on news channels/google search.

normally after a shooting the officer is put on administrative leave. He continues to be paid, but does not report to work as usual, must be a stressfull time shooting someone especially in the circumstances, maybe they are just trying to protect them.

The eight policemen who shot the 3 terroists in London have been suspeded .it might be normal procedure after such an incident but it cant do much for police moral

I think it is just standard procedure, from both an investigation point of view to make sure the shootings were legal and from a psychological point of view for the officers to get checked out for stress etc, I guess if must be quite horrific to kill someone even those attackers.

Apart from not putting the vehicle handbrake on, can't see anything they did wrong personally in the circumstances. Suspension from activities a good idea to give chance to properly reflect on improvements though - but the whole force should learn from these incidents.

Wherever a death results from a police shooting there is an inquiry and relieving the officers concerned from operational policing while that happens is standard procedure as I understand it. I don't imagine it would impact on morale because the officers would have known it is the normal procedure that follows any death.

Even where, as here, the outcome of the enquiry is likely to be "thank fuck for these guys, they saved countless lives" the enquiry still takes place as a matter of course. Which IMHO is as it should be - every death caused by the police falls to be investigated even if the results of the investigation seems a foregone conclusion. That way, we never ever get blasé about deaths caused by police officers even in the cases where it is blindingly obvious that the police absolutely had to use the force they did.

I can imagine people will think twice about becoming a fire arms officer knowing they will be suspended and scrutinized for doing there job.cant do much for confidence building

I can imagine people will think twice about becoming a fire arms officer knowing they will be suspended and scrutinized for doing there job.cant do much for confidence building
It's part of the job,killing people is a very big deal in the real world and time out is perfectly reasonable,everyone knows it was a clean shoot(do they say that in real life?) the police here don't think they are ever going to kill someone,at the time it's an automatic thing it's after it really hits home and i wouldn't want them working again till they are ready

Officers are not suspended as such, but removed from firearms duties until the incident has been fully investigated.

Killing people is the absolute last thing a police officer wants to do. I'm not 100% sure on their exact rules of engagement, but stopping them with their firearm will be absolutely the last resort. Their is no such thing as shoot to wound. If a reason to use a firearm is presented then the point of aim is always the centre mass of the target (the centre of the chest), and to fire no more shots than are absolutely necessary in order to neutralise the threat to either yourself or members of the public who are under immediate threat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.