Is it time for City to move on from Kompany & Toure?

Dribble

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-news/pep-guardiola-yaya-toure-issue-13611179

It seems Pep's issues with Yaya have resurfaced again. I wondered why we hadn't seen Toure throughout pre-season, however the match he played against WHU started me thinking, & the above article confirmed my thoughts.

Against WHU, Toure looked like the Toure of 2015-16. He was slow, looked overweight & laboured in everything he did. After a difficult beginning to last season, Toure came in after the injury to Gundogan & proved such an asset that his contract was extended, but now it seems we're back to where we were with him 12 months ago.

Both he & Kompany are the epitome of the post Abu Dhabi era, but with Kompany seemingly pissing off the club again by getting injured in a meaningless International friendly, has the time now arrived for City to replace them both & move on with the Pep era?

This season was always likely to be Toure's last in any case, but I believe our years of reliance on them both & sentiment is holding us back from properly moving on.

FFP has also meant we had to keep some of our older players probably a season or 2 beyond their use by date, but I think the time has now come for us to cut them both adrift at the end of this season.

Only Aguero & Silva remain from the 2012 title winning team & they both have at least another 2 seasons in them imo, but sadly, I can't bring myself to say the same for Kompany & Toure.

Start of the season I don't think many blues were expecting Toure to have a major role this season. I was thinking his time would come in the Cups and in some Premier league games when the fixtures are very busy.

Kompany can still be a very significant player for us. Fitness there is ever the issue. He showed towards the back end of last season that he is still our best defender.

Maybe this is the season Stones kicks on, but it will be much easier for him if he does it alongside Kompany than instead of him

It might be staying the blindingly obvious but with Yaya only the management team can tell. We haven't seen him play a match in anger this season, based on last season he may well have a part to play during the season and I'm not calling time yet on one of the finest footballers to grace the Etihad.
Kompany is a bit different, we have seen him and although a little slower than at his finest he remains the best centre back in the squad.
If this is a niggle from which he recovers quickly and then remains fit talk of his demise is premature. If he's out for much of the season then we have to look for a replacement.
Untill January we can't recruit.

A little over 3 years ago, we won the title.

Three years isn't a long time in the overall scheme of things, but from that victorious squad, we only have five players left.

Kompany, Fernandinho, Toure, Silva and Aguero.

Of those 5, how many will still be with us this time next year?

Silva perhaps, but I don't know about the others.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.